PDA

View Full Version : The Good ,The Bad, The Ugly at SARL Opener

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 12:11 PM
The Good.

Nice to get out and meet old friends and some new. Had a great time hanging out and BBQing.

The Bad.

The trout were right up on shore first thing in the morning. You could see them . Nice trout , Full tail and beautiful colors. They seemed to be not wanting to bite anything

The Ugly.

Snagers and Neters were the only ones I saw taking trout. Two guys , Both had nets and would simply walk up and scoop up a trout. Seen it . :Shocked:
Then you got the snagers . Two other guys definitely were snaging trout with their hooks. Almost had a limit.

I even talked to a long time PRO snager and he said :" I am so good at it that I can snag the trout on the mouth and make it appear that the SNAGED trout was legally caught in the mouth. " These guys have perfected the art of snaging.

I had a nice time and it was just nice to get out of the house. I met JHDucky and his wife. Very nice people and look forward to fish with them later in the Season when its cooler.

The Jess Ranch trout are very nice with orange meat .

Thanks for reading

Fisherman57
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
The Good.

Nice to get out and meet old friends and some new. Had a great time hanging out and BBQing.

The Bad.

The trout were right up on shore first thing in the morning. You could see them . Nice trout , Full tail and beautiful colors. They seemed to be not wanting to bite anything

The Ugly.

Snagers and Neters were the only ones I saw taking trout. Two guys , Both had nets and would simply walk up and scoop up a trout. Seen it . :Shocked:
They you got the snagers . Two other guys definitely were snaging trout with their hooks. Almost had a limit.

I even talked to a long time PRO snager and he said :" I am so good at it that I can snag the trout on the mouth and make it appear that the SNAGED trout was legally caught in the mouth. " These guys have perfected the art of snaging.

I had a nice time and it was just nice to get out of the house. I met JHDucky and his wife. Very nice people and look forward to fish with them later in the Season when its cooler.

The Jess Ranch trout are very nice with orange meat .

Thanks for reading

Did you go today or yesterday Patrick?

A longtime "pro" snagger?..... LMAO!
Hopefully you reported them all to lake management, since you witnessed it.
Thanks for the report!

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Did you go today or yesterday Patrick?

A longtime "pro" snagger?..... you know him from Irvine Lake?
Hopefully you reported them all to lake management, since you witnessed it.
Thanks for the report!

I went yesterday to check out the stocking . I went fishing today .

I yelled at one neter and he looked over at me and then dumped the trout back into the water. He later walked over by our group and said he neted 2 trout that he had on his stringer.

As far as the snagers, I walked over next to them and asked if they had a large hook I could borrow. He looked at me and said no, he did not.

Its not my job to be Park Ranger anymore. I just want to fish and enjoy myself. Its really is amazing at what "Pay Lake fisherman " do. And when they think no one is watching. This kind of crap happens at EVERY pay lake Every day. Its just the way it is .

Liteliner
10-15-2009, 12:31 PM
That sucks to hear about the netters and snaggers. Lake security will take care of the issue if its reported. Ive done it myself quite a few times and security is there within minutes usually.

Did you throw tube jigs at the fish close to shore? That usually does the trick for me. I might try to hit it up in the morning for a quick fix. Any intel would be nice.:Wink:

Fisherman57
10-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I yelled at one neter and he looked over at me and then dumped the trout back into the water. He later walked over by our group and said he neted 2 trout that he had on his stringer.

As far as the snagers, I walked over next to them and asked if they had a large hook I could borrow. He looked at me and said no, he did not.

Its not my job to be Park Ranger anymore. I just want to fish and enjoy myself. Its really is amazing at what "Pay Lake fisherman " do. And when they think no one is watching. This kind of crap happens at EVERY pay lake Every day. Its just the way it is .

Interesting view Troutman65.....

I'll bet when you were a "Park Ranger" that you & lake management appreciated others helping you ID the true bad guys.......... no ???

In fact, I think ALL of us would benefit from everyone being involved and reporting those who poach, break the rules and take advantage..... regardless of if its at a "pay lake" or otherwise..... and regardless if it's your job or not.

You're right, its "the way it is"....... and usually because it's always someone else's job to do something about it.........

Seems like it would be in YOUR best interest as well........ more fish for YOU to catch!

Oh well, hopefully you had a good time fishing and hanging out with everyone. Thats whats important I guess.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 12:42 PM
That sucks to hear about the netters and snaggers. Lake security will take care of the issue if its reported. Ive done it myself quite a few times and security is there within minutes usually.

Did you throw tube jigs at the fish close to shore? That usually does the trick for me. I might try to hit it up in the morning for a quick fix. Any intel would be nice.:Wink:

Hey Liteliner Thanks for reading and posting. We threw EVERYTHING at the trout and they were just not biting period.

Its not my job to be Lake Security anymore. Thats the lakes job.

JHDucky
10-15-2009, 12:45 PM
The pleasure of meeting you was all ours Troutman65. Your BBQ was GREAT. I ate too many of those tacos. We were at the lake at opening this morning. It was also great having a chance to meet the others that were there with us. Family, Fun, Fishing is a great thing about this group and it was wonderful to finally have faces to put with names. I was using all different colors of Power bait without a nibble today. I used 8" leaders up tp 2' leaders, close to shore and far out from shore. The fish TM65 talked about swimming close to the shore seemed to still be sedated. The fish I saw that people had looked to be around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds.
Can't wait for the cooler weather and meeting more of the great people here.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Interesting view Troutman65.....

I'll bet when you were a "Park Ranger" that you appreciated others helping you ID the true bad guys...... ???

In fact, I think ALL of us would benefit from everyone being involved and reporting those who poach, break the rules and take advantage..... regardless of if its at a "pay lake" or otherwise.....

You're right, its "the way it is" because it's always someone else's job.....
Seems like it would be in YOUR best interest as well........ more fish for YOU to catch!

You have to understand Pay Lake fisherman and how they think. For one they are paying a hefty price to enter the place. If they are not catching fish regular ( legal like everyone else ) they will resort to getting them and their limit by any means necessary from what I have seen over 30 years fishing at pay lakes. Its the truth and I said it .

From being on the side of ( Lake Security ) you have to witness the fisherman in the act of neting or snaging to really do anything. It really is a loosing battle as far as inforcement of the poachers , neters & snagers. They know it . I just give up.

Fisherman57
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
You have to understand Pay Lake fisherman and how they think. For one they are paying a hefty price to enter the place. If they are not catching fish regular ( legal like everyone else ) they will resort to getting them and their limit by any means necessary from what I have seen over 30 years fishing at pay lakes. Its the truth and I said it .

From being on the side of ( Lake Security ) you have to witness the fisherman in the act of neting or snaging to really do anything. It really is a loosing battle as far as inforcement of the poachers , neters & snagers. They know it . I just give up.

I just mentioned it because you stated you witnessed it. No worries Patrick, hopefully your next outing is without snaggers & netters.

Since some anglers won't get involved by reporting things like this, maybe lake management will hire more security to help enforce the lake rules and then increase admission prices.

Thanks for posting the truth Patrick!

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 01:04 PM
The pleasure of meeting you was all ours Troutman65. Your BBQ was GREAT. I ate too many of those tacos. We were at the lake at opening this morning. It was also great having a chance to meet the others that were there with us. Family, Fun, Fishing is a great thing about this group and it was wonderful to finally have faces to put with names. I was using all different colors of Power bait without a nibble today. I used 8" leaders up tp 2' leaders, close to shore and far out from shore. The fish TM65 talked about swimming close to the shore seemed to still be sedated. The fish I saw that people had looked to be around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds.
Can't wait for the cooler weather and meeting more of the great people here.

JHDucky, Thanks for your add on to the post. Hope your wife will go fishing again. Later on in the season when its cooler the trout fishing will be much better. Thanks again for coming out and fishing with us. :Big Grin:

Icthus
10-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Trout:
If that was you guys in the white vehicles by the docks ..then I seen you guys...
I seen the guy with the white tshirt netting fish..lol.

Personally I dont care about that stuff because those fish look like they are dying anyway..just my opinion..

I thought the trout where small and inactive...I cruised the whole park and I think maybe 4 fished where caught legit..
.thats tells me they did not stock heavy and made a lot of money...I caught none and neither did anyone around me...I wont go back until I see more action for myself..I will scout the park with my binoculars and fish when I see them being caught...you have to do that or these pay lakes will play games..just my opinion..

Ricky-Ray
10-15-2009, 01:43 PM
hmm.....$20 some bucks to fish at a pay lake for the day and if they are not catching fish regular ( legal like everyone else ) they will resort to getting them and their limit by any means necessary

vs.

Paying $65 and going on a 3/4 day boat to Catalina and if I don't catch anything I go home with a big white stripe down my back.

I'm fishing the wrong body of water..... Somebody tell me where's the pay lake that stocks the yellowtail????? :Razz:

Rooster
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Pre openers are usually slow.. At the Sierra Rainbow Grand Opener Nov. 12,13,14,15 Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun .. I am betting its gonna be super fishing... Thx for the report Patrick... Answered alot of questions i had...

Fisherman57
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Pre openers are usually slow.. At the Sierra Rainbow Grand Opener Nov. 12,13,14,15 Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun .. I am betting its gonna be super fishing... Thx for the report Patrick... Answered alot of questions i had...

I agree.

I think once the water gets cold, it'll be on at the pay lakes!

Mondo21
10-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Good to hear that you were out fishing. Did you see Armando out there today. I kept in touch with him via text. He said the same thing you said about the Trout strolling by. He said it was pretty dead out there. That's too bad. Take care, and hope to see you at Irvine. Cindy:Big Grin:

Cangler
10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm fishing the wrong body of water..... Somebody tell me where's the pay lake that stocks the yellowtail????? :Razz:

You'd be catching yellownotails then !

troutdog
10-15-2009, 05:28 PM

Frenchy was there? :ROFL:

What were you going to do with the "large" hook if they did have one? :Wink:

This kind of crap happens at EVERY pay lake Every day. Its just the way it is .

You didn't feel that way when I metioned in a Vine report that I watched a couple of seniors take a couple extra fish each and you later busted my nutz for not ratting them out! :LOL: Regardless if you are a park ranger or not, keep fighting the good fight Patrick....report poachers, netters and snaggers so the legit anglers can catch their share of fish :Wink:

TD

vanillagurilla
10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
the management there knows what goes one. the snaggers actualy have a "winding" rod that they use. set up like a dropshot with a smallish trebble hook tossed about 6 feet from shore with a short horizontal rod holder. thats how 90% of the 15lb+ trout are caught there. i fished sarl all season last year and found out these guys so called "tricks". sad thing is i was fishing with older guys (50+ years) and there doing the same *****.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Good to hear that you were out fishing. Did you see Armando out there today. I kept in touch with him via text. He said the same thing you said about the Trout strolling by. He said it was pretty dead out there. That's too bad. Take care, and hope to see you at Irvine. Cindy:Big Grin:

Hey Cindy, Armando was in line before I was . :LOL: I look forward to fishing with you this Winter Cindy. :Big Grin:

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
What were you going to do with the "large" hook if they did have one? :Wink:

TD

It was a point of letting them know that I know what kind of Crap they were pulling. I knew 100 % that they would not offer me a hook to use.

Thanks for reading TD buddy. Next weekend ? Talk to Wes.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 06:09 PM
the management there knows what goes one. the snaggers actualy have a "winding" rod that they use. set up like a dropshot with a smallish trebble hook tossed about 6 feet from shore with a short horizontal rod holder. thats how 90% of the 15lb+ trout are caught there. i fished sarl all season last year and found out these guys so called "tricks". sad thing is i was fishing with older guys (50+ years) and there doing the same *****.

VG, Thanks for reading. You know whats going on there.:Wink:

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
hmm.....$20 some bucks to fish at a pay lake for the day and if they are not catching fish regular ( legal like everyone else ) they will resort to getting them and their limit by any means necessary

vs.

Paying $65 and going on a 3/4 day boat to Catalina and if I don't catch anything I go home with a big white stripe down my back.

Thanks for reading Ricky Ray

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Hey Rob, Thanks for reading. I am waiting for much cooler weather .:Wink:

pasadenafishin
10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
cool report tm65, bummer about the poachers....

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 06:29 PM
cool report tm65, bummer about the poachers....

Thanks for reading .:Big Grin:

vanillagurilla
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
ill come out and join you TM. ive met you a few times and would like to fish side by side with a guy who knows what hes doing. maybe we can learn from eachother. im thinking late nov. early dec.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Trout:
If that was you guys in the white vehicles by the docks ..then I seen you guys...
I seen the guy with the white tshirt netting fish..lol.

Personally I dont care about that stuff because those fish look like they are dying anyway..just my opinion..

I thought the trout where small and inactive...I cruised the whole park and I think maybe 4 fished where caught legit..
.thats tells me they did not stock heavy and made a lot of money...I caught none and neither did anyone around me...I wont go back until I see more action for myself..I will scout the park with my binoculars and fish when I see them being caught...you have to do that or these pay lakes will play games..just my opinion..

Icthus, thanks for reading and your view.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 08:01 PM
ill come out and join you TM. ive met you a few times and would like to fish side by side with a guy who knows what hes doing. maybe we can learn from eachother. im thinking late nov. early dec.

You bet VG. Your cool fishing will be fun. I was thinking the same late Nov. early Dec. also. :Big Grin::Wink: :Cool:

Mr Bendo
10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Glad that you got out Patrick! To bad about the snaggers and netters!!!! Should've told the office.

lngbchfnhnter
10-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Snaggers and netters make me sick!!!!!!! VERY PATHETIC!!:Guns::whistle:
THANKS FOR THE REPORT!! TM 65

Marley
10-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Gee. If they had waited until the water was cold, the trout would have been acting like trout and would have eaten..

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Glad that you got out Patrick! To bad about the snaggers and netters!!!! Should've told the office.

Thanks for reading Buddy. Once it gets cold we will fish :Wink:

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Snaggers and netters make me sick!!!!!!! VERY PATHETIC!!:Guns::whistle:
THANKS FOR THE REPORT!! TM 65

Thank you for reading and your reply.

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Gee. If they had waited until the water was cold, the trout would have been acting like trout and would have eaten..

I think I have heard someone say that before. :Rolls Eyes::LOL::Wink:

Thanks for reading

troutdog
10-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Frenchy was there? :ROFL:

TD

Sometimes no answer is the best answer TM :Wink: :LOL:

TD

Troutman65
10-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Sometimes no answer is the best answer TM :Wink: :LOL:

TD

Aaron, I perfer to not name names to protect the innocent and the guilty. There are more than one long time "Pro" snaggers out there.

saintarv
10-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice report Patrick. Not use to you doing a report on the SARL section. LOL :LOL:

troutdog
10-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Aaron, I perfer to not name names to protect the innocent and the guilty. There are more than one long time "Pro" snaggers out there.

This ain't my first rodeo cowboy, I know what you were doing brotha....don't get you viking speedoes bunched up in a wad :LOL:

Nice report Patrick. Not use to you doing a report on the SARL section. LOL :LOL:

Saint woulda punked the skunk at Sarl today...without a net or anchor sized treble! :Wink:

TD

Troutman65
10-16-2009, 12:30 AM

Thanks for reading Saint. We will have to slay some trout together this Winter. Its just a bit early in the Season now.:Wink: Thanks for reading .:Big Grin:

Troutman65
10-16-2009, 12:31 AM
This ain't my first rodeo cowboy, I know what you were doing brotha....don't get you viking speedoes bunched up in a wad :LOL:

Saint woulda punked the skunk at Sarl today...without a net or anchor sized treble! :Wink:

TD

:ROFL:

Saint would of had the Skunk and done no better than anyone one else .:Wink:

If Frenchy gets skunked you know its bad.

Liteliner
10-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Just observing my fishing experiences at SAL because I spend a lot of time watching and talking while I fish. I have talked and fished with good fisherman that have killed at other lakes. That would include me. I would never net or snag a fish in fact I prefer catch and release all fish. I do not like to eat fish and give mine away to anyone who wants them. However, I have fished SAL and others have too where 10 visits and NO fish. I have cruised around a boat in OCT and seen in 3 hr period (I THEN LEFT) no fish caught. THe next day I read fishing was great..HUH..

I want poachers, netters, snaggers, sent home for good but I want the lake to really stock the lake. Some say the lake is like a drug dealer give a good high then hide the drug...anyway I would like the lake to show us the fish they release, the amount, and set a time we could see it..and not keep some in the holding area..

Boats really arent needed for this lake. Just take a walk around the lake and your bound to run into a school of trout cruisin the shore. Tube jig it up and your good to go. Put in work and you'll find them. I have never been skunked there if thats worth anything to ya...

Ray Lopez
10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
how dare they net and snag

if i were them i would of sat back and bait and waited so i can take in the beautiful scenery!!!

lol
Nett'n & Snagg'n since 1980'

Troutman65
10-17-2009, 12:11 AM
how dare they net and snag

if i were them i would of sat back and bait and waited so i can take in the beautiful scenery!!!

lol

Thanks for reading Ray.:ROFL:

troutdog
10-17-2009, 01:50 AM
lol

That never seemed to help you much at Irvine Ray "Empty Stringer" Lopez! :Wink: :ROFL:

TD

smokindrags
10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Troutman 65 you should get a job at sarl you could be the cop in the green jacket just rip the irvine patch off and paste on one of stickers they give you at the entrance hope to see you at the vine

Troutman65
10-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Troutman 65 you should get a job at sarl you could be the cop in the green jacket just rip the irvine patch off and paste on one of stickers they give you at the entrance hope to see you at the vine

:Shocked::Bug Eyes:

Smokindrags, thanks for reading and thinking of me. I am afraid that those days are behind me now. I am burned out on inforcing trout limits and such. I just want to fish with everyone and have good times. :Big Grin:

sansou
10-17-2009, 04:39 PM
:Shocked::Bug Eyes:

Smokindrags, thanks for reading and thinking of me. I am afraid that those days are behind me now. I am burned out on inforcing trout limits and such. I just want to fish with everyone and have good times. :Big Grin:

Patrick!

Driving the patrol boat and working at the Vine was your "dream job" come true. You told me this in person.

So how can you be "burned out", man? You did it for only one year or so.

Find a lake, and get back to work doing what you like to do!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Troutman65
10-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Patrick!

Driving the patrol boat and working at the Vine was your "dream job" come true. You told me this in person.

So how can you be "burned out", man? You did it for only one year or so.

Find a lake, and get back to work doing what you like to do!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Hey Rich, Yes it was my dream Job. Its gone , done , over. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. :Sad:

sansou
10-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Rich, Yes it was my dream Job. Its gone , done , over. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. :Sad:

Get right back on that horse Patrick.

If that's what you like to do, and you can make a living doing it: go for it.

I'm sure there's plenty of other lakes that are hiring in anticipation of the busy trout season.

bruce watson
10-18-2009, 09:54 AM

It's nice to see that their fishing rods will rise from the ashes and still be good enough to snag.

Troutman65
10-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for reading Bruce . Hope your doing well & get back out fishing for some trout this Winter .

sansou
10-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey, what's the capital of Arizona?

Troutman65
10-18-2009, 10:04 PM

:ROFL: Now this thread is taking a turn for the worst.:LOL::Wink:

Poxy Boggards
10-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I don't like the snagging and netting either, but as was stated earlier. Alot of fish that were swimming right by the shore over 24 hours after being planted are probably about to die regardless. Those fish were going to end up on someones stringer or in the belly of a bird.

The water was just still to warm, especially for trout coming out of 50 degree water into a 70 degree plus sauna.

What I will say is that the trout that were swimming close to sore were very nice looking fish. There were two distinct varities that I saw, a lighter colored fish with beautiful dark spot markings and a darker more vividly colored trout that were very silvery with a vibrant red stripe running the length of the fish.

Once the water gets colder this season is going to be a great one for SARL/Carona.

Hitts0n
10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
I relaxed and had fun.Ate great also.TM65 you should bring those taco's to our next event!

Troutman65
10-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I relaxed and had fun.Ate great also.TM65 you should bring those taco's to our next event!

Yeah those carne asada tacos sure were tasty. Not sure what I will bring for the next event. Maybe some pork loin .

Thanks for showing up Hitts. I was in :Shocked: when you pulled out that Steelers banner flag. :LOL: I need me a Viking one of those .:LOL::Wink:

Marley
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM

Can't remember, but it's Apache for "easily breaks in the middle."

Troutman65
10-22-2009, 03:48 AM
I don't like the snagging and netting either, but as was stated earlier. Alot of fish that were swimming right by the shore over 24 hours after being planted are probably about to die regardless. Those fish were going to end up on someones stringer or in the belly of a bird.

The water was just still to warm, especially for trout coming out of 50 degree water into a 70 degree plus sauna.

What I will say is that the trout that were swimming close to sore were very nice looking fish. There were two distinct varities that I saw, a lighter colored fish with beautiful dark spot markings and a darker more vividly colored trout that were very silvery with a vibrant red stripe running the length of the fish.

Once the water gets colder this season is going to be a great one for SARL/Carona.

Hey Wes , Thanks for posting up .