PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Boss vs Trinidads

steelhead
10-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I just wanted to put this out there. I use Shimano quite a bit in fact 10 of my 14 rigs are shimano and their customer service is second to none. On the build quality I have been happy but I do notice with the calcuttas and trinidads that they get scratched up and suffer from boat rash VERY easily. I picked up a boss magnum 870 in used shape the other day from a friend and this guy beats up his equipment, The boss just felt like it was of a higher build quality and the finish was none for worse with minor marks. The freespool and wind was still butter smooth on the accurateThe accurate claim is that they use aircraft grade aluminum. Does anyone know if the shimanos use a similar grade? They seem to chip so easily, my 750 DC showed it after one trip. What are some of your opinions on the two brand. The 870 is making me take a very close look at accurate and possibly going accurate in the future.

victor101
10-13-2009, 08:25 PM
IMO...Trinidads and Accurates are in two whole different class of reels. Accurates being 2 speed lever drag reels I would compare them to Shimano's new Talica. http://www.anglerscenter.com/reels_shimano-talica.htm

http://www.tackletour.com/previewshimanotalica2.html

Which one to buy? im stuck on the same question.

steelhead
10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
well I'm talking about the single speed boss compared to the trinidads Vic. The price is about the same but next time you have a chance pick up a magnum boss and feel it, that thing feels solid/heavier it just feels right. I do like the twin drag system, it only makes sense that the twin drag helps to alleviate some of the stress on the gears and drag itself.

Frenchy
10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
personally i will never fish an accurate again got the 665 mag and went out to Catalina and hooked up to a yellow on a patty and he took of and then boom the reels drags ceased after about 15 seconds of the yellow running will never fish an accurate again even if it is given to me shimano all the way

PS has anyone else had this problem before my other buddy hooked a big seabass and as=after that he accurates drag grinded anyone else have any problems with these reels

sansou
10-14-2009, 08:12 PM
personally i will never fish an accurate again got the 665 mag and went out to Catalina and hooked up to a yellow on a patty and he took of and then boom the reels drags ceased after about 15 seconds of the yellow running will never fish an accurate again even if it is given to me shimano all the way

PS has anyone else had this problem before my other buddy hooked a big seabass and as=after that he accurates drag grinded anyone else have any problems with these reels

You're a young dude.

Fish for another 10 years with different reels, and you will come to find that ALL reels, at some point in time will fail.

It's just that some brands fail less than others, with the factor being how well you have to "baby" your reels after fishing, or how much you have to do aftermarket mods to keep it reasonably workable.

But generally speaking, I would say you are in the minority of the fishing world for claiming that an Accurate reel "has problems". IMO, they are high quality gear that few fishermen actually put through the paces (ie. a couple local overnight trips a year hardly begins to wear out that reel, much less is sufficient basis to rate a reel).

Frenchy
10-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Brand new first time i used it but ya i have heard good things though too

sesgia
10-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Accurates or shimano???
is like American car and Japaneses car. a lot of people know American is build tough but they don't last long and Japaneses car are not build tough but they last long.:My Two Cents: if don't plan to take good care of your reel then get a shimano but if you do then get a accurates. also matinee is much ease on a shimano reel