PDA

View Full Version : Piru 10/4 and 10/11 plus lunkers with pics

BuzzBait
10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Okay... don't go crowding around that lake right now. Water level has been dropping every week-end we've gone out there. A 3rd of the lake is exposed. Very LOW water level. Coves are exposed. Water is very muddy. Caution: Lots of super shallow spots. Lost a couple of crankbaits. UGh! This is the lowest I've ever seen this lake go. According to the lady at the entrance, they recently have purchased some water from pyramid to be pumped into that lake soon. I hope soon enough.
Anyway, fishing is excellent. Lots of fun! Lots of little fighters. Lots of keepers as well. On 10/4, the weather was great. Lots of fun in the sun. A little breezy but not windy. On 10/11, cloudy most of the day. The sun was too shy. COLD! BRR! Had a jacket on most of the day.
Fish has been very finicky. They have been super tight and suspending by hard surfaces. Depths of 10-35ft. Average fish size 2lbs. d/s hot on chartreuse for smaller ones. Jig on shallow muddy spots. Crankbait has been our key bait. Also, a particular custom color Jay had creatively brought to life has been the bass magnet. I've used other colors to no avail. This one particularly has been a bass magnet. He's painted one on almost every depth of crankbait. Thanks to him, I caught my third lunker for the year. He caught himself an 7 pound lunker. This lake has been good to us most of the year. We've been here fewer than we have gone to castaic but it has definitely produced the most fish. This might probably be the last time we fish this lake for this year. Considering that little rock is now back in business. Our budget votes closer to home.

Here's the pics for y'all to enjoy!

Troutman65
10-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the post and photos . Nice bass.:Envious::Cool:

fishntime
10-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Really nice Fatties. Nice report, hopefully your home lake wont get hit by all of the lurkers.

mrjonez
10-13-2009, 09:57 AM
thanks for the report. you guys kill it.

CL SmooV
10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
nice fish. been watching your post all year....

thanks for all the info you give, and pics.

very inspiring to hit piru more....

smoov

Kimura6985
10-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Dude do you guys ever not catch fish? I love piru,but when it gets really low it's depressing,fells like a pond,u guys kick some a##! Cheers:Thumbs Up:are the lil guys rigged up?

Fire Ball
10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I have seen them realezing water from the lake for the past 2 weeks. I don't know why they are releasing water into the stream whne they already don't have enough water! Lots of nice bass! The first LMB I had ever caught was at Piru. That is really what got me interested in catching bass!

BuzzBait
10-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Dude do you guys ever not catch fish? I love piru,but when it gets really low it's depressing,fells like a pond,u guys kick some a##! Cheers:Thumbs Up:are the lil guys rigged up?

Thanks!

We've had days not catching anything. I can say that I am not very good at catching fish in the winter season. Every year we seem to get better at finding fish. There has been far and few days this year that we did not catch fish.
That lake is definitely like a pond right now. There are only a few key spots that have been producing. I've noticed that when the day transitions, fish seem to go off to deeper water close to cover. There were maybe about 15 boats out there this week-end and it felt crowded. We somehow pissed off a couple of people and I felt bad, then I apologized.
THe little ones are rigged up but had no interest in fishing that day.

BuzzBait
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I have seen them realezing water from the lake for the past 2 weeks. I don't know why they are releasing water into the stream whne they already don't have enough water! Lots of nice bass! The first LMB I had ever caught was at Piru. That is really what got me interested in catching bass!

They are releasing the water for the farmers down below. They buy that water in that lake. (that's what the lady at the entrance told us.)

Fire Ball
10-13-2009, 04:12 PM
They are releasing the water for the farmers down below. They buy that water in that lake. (that's what the lady at the entrance told us.)

Oh, that makes more sense then. I was wondering why they were just letting all that water go!!

BuzzBait
10-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Really nice Fatties. Nice report, hopefully your home lake wont get hit by all of the lurkers.

Lurkers are always welcome in our home lake if they like a good challenge. It's a tough lake to fish. They need to prepare themselves to loose a lot of rigs if they want to catch fish. Shore fishing according to locals have been very slow to none since they stopped stocking trout in that lake. The water temp is 20 degrees colder than piru. Fish aren't as active. Tougher to catch. Prepare for super windy conditions. We usually burn out our trolling motor battery. Speed limit in that lake is 5mph. They actually do give out tickets. Locals are quick to report speeders. Adventure pass is a must. They hand out tickets for those too. They also check for fishing licenses regularly, unlike a lot of other lakes we've been to.
I'm just stoked that it's open. We may not catch a lot of big fish in that lake-but the challenge is always a good reason to go fishing.

jw4Bassing
10-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Okay... don't go crowding around that lake right now. Lost a couple of crankbaits. UGh!

Indeed a very nice sack of fish for Lake Piru... WTG and Congrats. Also, about those lost crankbaits, maybe you might want to invest in getting one of those lure retrievers to get those crankbaits back once they get hung up. I have one and they sure work great and it has definitely saved me a lot on lost crankbaits and most importantly..... Money.

I believe "fishntime" meant Lake Piru and not Little Rock Reservoir.

Tight Lines....

JW

BuzzBait
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Indeed a very nice sack of fish for Lake Piru... WTG and Congrats. Also, about those lost crankbaits, maybe you might want to invest in getting one of those lure retrievers to get those crankbaits back once they get hung up. I have one and they sure work great and it has definitely saved me a lot on lost crankbaits and most importantly..... Money.

Thanks for the tip on the lure retriever. Whoever finds that crankbait we lost will be one lucky fella. That lure is a bass magnet. We pulled out the tree it got tangled up in but the bait wasn't there. It was just the line tangled up on the tree. The other one flew off as I was casting. Line broke because I should have retied it after catching so much grass. Sigh...

I believe "fishntime" meant Lake Piru and not Little Rock Reservoir.

Whoops...

I just found out that we're not going to be able to fish Little Rock Reservoir anyway. They're open but no launching. I'm disappointed.
We may hit up Piru again this week-end. Weather forecast looks good.

BuzzBait

Thisfool
10-14-2009, 05:49 PM
nice fish wtg