PDA

View Full Version : Fishin Castaic, after work in the Lowe Boat

fishinone
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Dan called me today while I was at lunch and invited me to fish with him after work, Thanks Dan, this is a great way to wrap up a work day.

I met Dan at the ramp at 4:30. While I was walking down to the dock the fish were boiling behind him. I asked if they had stocked trout and he said they were bass. Dan had seven striper in the cooler already. I jumped on his boat and he said he'd be right back and headed up the hill.

I grabbed a pole and started casting a (#5, I think) Shallow Shad Rap. There were no boils right then but I could see that the water was being stirred. On my third cast I got totally slammed. The drag was peeling and the line was swinging under the Life Guard boat. I stuck my pole down in the water to keep the line off of the prop.

When I finally got a look at the fish it was two fish and I could see more below them. I tried to get the landing net but it was tangled, so I grabbed my cell phone to take a picture with them in the water, because I figured that I would would have a hard time landing two fish without the net.

By the time I got the phone out one of the fish was off. I threw the phone back in my pocket as the remaining fish dove for the bottom. When it came back up there were two fish on the lure again. One of the other fish must have tried to take the "shad" away. As I grabbed hold of the lure and picked both fish up I could still see more fish under them.

Here's a picture of the two fish on the tiny little lure. Look at that rear hook.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishin%20after%20work%20with%20Dan%20%2010-12-09/1012091637.jpg

It's was hard getting these two off without removing slime. The back one was nearly tied onto the hook. I had to spin it around the lure and the other fish to untangle the skin on it's lip. I took a break and put them back in the water to let them breath once before I figured it out. Both of them were released in good shape.

I made a couple more casts and then saw Dan coming down the ramp.

We went to a spot of my choosing and tried trolling and picked up zip, nada, zilch. As we trolled by one spot there were boils on a stubby point. We were a little slow getting in there and didn't get any. A couple guys in a bass boat pulled up there behind us and one of them landed a very nice bass. We pulled up and started to move to a spot where Dan had done well earlier.

While we were traveling back up the lake we saw a large area of boils near that stubby point and decided to try it out on the way. It was wide open. I lost that Shallow Shad Rap on my first cast, to a big bass I think. The guys in the bass boat were working these boils way down to our left, so we went to the right. We were all catching fish in a big hurry.

A few minutes later we were still in this big area of boils. catching fish and talking to the other guys and told them about catching two fish on the lure at the dock and that I had lost the lure on that point where they landed the big bass. They said "Oh that little tiny lure? We found it.". Thank you Gentlemen, for returning my lure. It's not much, but I've been hammering fish on it.

This action went on for a while, it was a couple hundred yards long and scattered from 20 yards out to the bank. We had egrets near enough that we could cast right up to them and they were walking toward us catching shad.

It was over way to soon.

Dan and I took pictures during the ride in.

Here's a cooler shot.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishin%20after%20work%20with%20Dan%20%2010-12-09/1012091800a.jpg

Here's Dan with one of the fish. This picture was taken while he was driving.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishin%20after%20work%20with%20Dan%20%2010-12-09/1012091801.jpg

Here's a picture of me with a couple fish and demonstrating the rubber face. This picture was taken by Dan while he was driving.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishin%20after%20work%20with%20Dan%20%2010-12-09/1012091801a.jpg

I really messed up the tailgate shot showing our final catch, but we had 15 fish.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishin%20after%20work%20with%20Dan%20%2010-12-09/1012091821.jpg

So our total for an hour and a half of fishing after work was:

8 striper
2 bass
and a really good time!

It's safe to say Dan limited out on the striper today!

carpanglerdude
10-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Score on the doubles, lot's of fun!

Lowe Boat
10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Visited with T.O. on Castaic Lake today.
T.O. was doing his usual striper slay.

I am a novice in the Wayne and T.O. schools of fishing.
Capped a great day of fishing with Ron.
I always know if Wayne or Ron are in my boat, FISH WILL FOLLOW!

CL SmooV
10-12-2009, 10:11 PM
excellent!!!!!!

ive never seen that style of a double hook up. especially with lmb...

think i owe castaic a visit. i'm inspired!

tight lines

cl

trail blazer
10-13-2009, 05:01 AM
WOW!!!!

Multipul dbl hookups on the same cast,,,,XLNT

Ray Lopez
10-13-2009, 05:50 AM
damn greedy bass hahahaha

cool shot and fun fishing.

gonna stop by there this morning and work the west ramp

hope to get on some boils

fisherman from long beach
10-13-2009, 07:01 AM
sweet, i have never seen a double hook up.i need to try my fresh water legs out.

fishinone
10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys, Dan and I had a blast. We were both fired up. I'm still fired up!

I'm pretty sure that the first two bass hit that lure at at the same time. It felt different and had tractor power from the start. I thought I had a toad. After the one got off, I was all disappointed and a second later I was astonished.:Shocked:

I wonder if it was the same fish? "Nope, I'm not giving up. I'm gonna win this one.":LOL:

I usually consider LMB to be bycatch but can't complain about that catch.

damn greedy bass hahahaha

cool shot and fun fishing.

gonna stop by there this morning and work the west ramp

hope to get on some boils

Ray, your out there by now but good luck. Let us know how you do.

You might want to try a tiny little lure.:Secret:

gletemfeelsteelgary
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Good work out there guys....those double bass hookups are a blast and you'll always remember those...those memories last a lifetime !

Dan, good to see you out at the fishing clinic this weekend, glad ya stopped by.
I hope you enjoyed it.

To both of you:
Congrats on all the caches and hope ta see ya at the saturday event.
Gary