PDA

View Full Version : Trout Tips

Freshness21
10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Not that anybody really wants to give away their secrets, but I'm really looking forward to my first full season where I can actually enjoy the Vine and looking for some basic tips to land me a couple monsters. I have a float tube I'm dying to get wet. Is it worth the extra fee or will I have just about the same luck from the shore where the beer is easier to come by?

What kind of setup does everyone use from the shore? Just a standard sliding egg weight with a 12-16in leader and some bait? What size hook?

Appreciate any help, plus it always makes for an interesting thread. Can't wait for November!! Best of luck to you all

Thisfool
10-12-2009, 08:01 PM
im a new to the trout game to but from what i have gathered a small signal hook or an even small treble hook I think I read the leader should be a lil longer the 16inch and a light line is also need for a leader all the advice I got on here and a turns say a 4lb test floro is the way to go and a whole bunch of diff color power baits cuz if the don’t even look at one color a diff might slay them and inflated night crawlers is always the way to go from what ive read

diamondbear
10-12-2009, 08:02 PM
If your going to use a float tube stay away from the beer unless your wearing a diaper . good luck.

Hook, Line & Sinker
10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
If your going to use a float tube stay away from the beer unless your wearing a diaper . good luck. QFTT

You do have the chance to get a bigger fish in open water doing some lure casting of your tube. It is very fun in a tube

Icthus
10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Fresh:
At each and every lake I fish I will ask anyone I see sucessful their advice on fishing that lake. Usually and I mean almost always they will share their ideas with me. I also share and help others fish especially parents with their kids. That is what makes fishing fun for me...Sharing ideas...I believe it is (US AGAINST THE FISH)
However what works one day might not the next...so I will continully change baits every 30 minutes to find one that will work.. I like a boat at Irvine but the shore will do I never did the float...but save me a beer.

Troutslayer620
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I personally use a carolina keeper with a 18 inch leader, #8 mosquito hook with a gulp egg/ power worm combo or a # 18 treble hook with Garlic Power bait, or powermouse set up. Always had luck and got consistent limits on trout last season at the vine.

BRING IT
10-13-2009, 08:17 AM
WHAT UP SLAYA, HOW IS POPS. WELL I HOPE. :Big Grin: CANT WAIT 2 FISH (SLAY) WITH U GUYS AGAIN. KEEP IN TOUCH VIA PM OK. VINE TIP GREEN / RAINBOW/ GARLIC. & SHORE IS BY FAR THE BEST. BUT TUBIN IS A BLAST. JUST FIND YOUR SELF A HONEY HOLE & SHHHHHHH:Secret: GL SCOTT / TEAM BRING IT IM OUT PEACE

Icthus
10-13-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks Troutslayer....

That setup worked great for me at even the local lakes last yr...Last yr at SAL I seen a guy slaying them with a 6lb floro line..so I tried it...worked for me last yr but I am afraid the big smart one wont like..I caught many many 2-3 lbs but nothing bigger..

I use to fish with my late dad and he would use same setup as me and others and out fish us 10-1...everyday everytime...for 15 yrs..he would even hand me his pole when hooked because he felt sorry for me...and I am 56 yrs old....lol

Freshness21
10-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks Icthus and everybody for the tips.

Anybody troll Ford Fenders at the Vine? I fished Oregon and Nor Cal lakes growing up and always killed with the old Ford Fender set up. But I haven't seen anybody really talking about them on any threads on here.

Steve Carson
10-13-2009, 09:22 AM
All,
Even in NorCal almost nobody uses Ford Fenders, Dave Davis, etc. any more.
Most have converted over to "Ultra-Light" type flasher/dodger, either the tiny inline spinners intended for kokanee, or miniaturized single blades smaller than a dollar bill, typified by a Luhr Jensen size 040 "Trout and Kokanee Dodger" .
That way they can be trolled off a downrigger with ultra-light tackle [like 6 pound line] so you can feel the fight of even a moderate-size fish.
They do work extremely well at Irvine, although not many anglers use them.

Freshness21
10-13-2009, 09:48 AM
All,
Even in NorCal almost nobody uses Ford Fenders, Dave Davis, etc. any more.
Most have converted over to "Ultra-Light" type flasher/dodger, either the tiny inline spinners intended for kokanee, or miniaturized single blades smaller than a dollar bill, typified by a Luhr Jensen size 040 "Trout and Kokanee Dodger" .
That way they can be trolled off a downrigger with ultra-light tackle [like 6 pound line] so you can feel the fight of even a moderate-size fish.
They do work extremely well at Irvine, although not many anglers use them.
Ya I used to think they were pretty archaic myself but every time I use em, they kill. I was up at Medicine Lake (up near Ore/Cal border) just a couple week ago. I pulled a nickel/silver prism Ford out of the old man's tackle box while my brother was trying his kokanee spinners and then a dodger...I couldn't keep the fish off my line and they couldn't get a bite to save their lives.

But fish and tackle act differently depending on where you're at so that may not be the case down here. Thanks

Steve Carson
10-13-2009, 10:23 AM
It's not that the old stuff doesn't work, it's that unless you hook something over 5 pounds, there is virtually no fight.
The whole point is to attract a fish over to look at your bait/lure, so under low-visibility conditions, those big flashers pull fish over from a longer distance.

TroutOnly
10-13-2009, 01:27 PM
THATS ONE OF MANY TRICKS I USE,SEPS ARE THE BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

GeordyBass
10-13-2009, 01:50 PM
THATS ONE OF MANY TRICKS I USE,SEPS ARE THE BEST ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o
I hear you throw chrome Tady 444s

Troutman65
10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
The best tip is just to get out and go fishing. :Big Grin:

pasadenafishin
10-13-2009, 05:44 PM
I would fish shore just because when i bait and wait in my tube i always drift and my line gets all fowled up.

The Basic Irvine Setup
2 or 4 lbs test mainline
1/4 ounce weight
12-24 inch 2lbs test floro leader
#16 treble hook
Assorted powerbait rolled into a ball the size of a finger nail (garlic is my favorite)

Cast it out there put your rod in a rod holder and hoooollllddddd on!!!

TroutOnly
10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
WHAT ABOUT CRAWLERS,,,,,,,THIS FISH FELL FOR THEM,,,,,,,,,,,
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/troutonly/100_9755bbbooobbb------11111111111-.jpg

pasadenafishin
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
^WOOOOWWW that is a faaattt trout!!

xfishbonex
10-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Pasadena represent!

dfisher
10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
good lord how can that trout swim, hahaha nice

Marley
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Do the tube and leave the beer for after (unless, as someone else said, you wear a diaper and even tehn you're waders will wreak). I like to slow-troll the same blown half-crawler I would fiosh from teh shoreline, fished Carolina-style but with a splitshot rather than a Carolina cutoff, I mean keeper (that's meant to be funny but they will cut your line if you're not careful.) Pitch it out away from you and let it settle to the bottom. As you sart to slow kick, take a turn or two on the reel handle and pull the sinker just off the bottom. The worm will drop a little and spin a little as you slowly kick around. You are truly slow-trolling the worm. Keep a close eye on your rod tip (fish it in a holder) and wqhen you see the tap-tap-tap, you can stop, open the bail and let it run for a three-count, or you can set the hook right away, whatever you would normally do at the strike.
You can use you second rod to toss plastics, fish a worm under a bobber or play with Power Worms, also a great trolling or drop-shot option.
Save the PB fishing for a short rest period or when you get too tired to go any farther. Just don't drink beer when you're in your waders. Good luck!