PDA

View Full Version : Palo verde spots

john t
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
Hey guys, i usually hit palo verde and fish the canals there but the last 2 times i've went have been skunk'd. its a really far drive for me and i was just wondering where you guys fish to find catfish, im not looking for your sweet spots just some better ideas. i get off on neighbors ave and take the zig zag road to the brigde. does anyone fish there? is it a good spot and im just doin something wrong? any help would be greatly appreaciated. im going this weekend(hopefully, if not then next weekend). thanks guys!!!

ps... im gonna be making my own catfish bait this time to see if i have better luck. im also gonna try to get some goldfish as well as the usual night crawlers.

Khmerfishing
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Did you try using talipia or bluegills?

john t
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
i havent tried using talipia or bluegills. i've been reading around and seeing that alot of people are using those so i was gonna give it a try. thanks!

gavin310
10-12-2009, 05:31 PM
hey man. you don't need to fish the main river. it's good fishing there, but there's tons of other areas off the main river. you'll probably have better luck in the canals and backwaters. use google maps satellite view to find spots. also, if you go to b&b bait to get some goldfish, ask the people who work there for some good spots. they'll help you out. like you said, you're probably not going to get anybody's secret spots, but they'll put you on some nice spots. goldfish work well and so do bluegill or tilapia. just to make sure you realize this, live bait like goldfish and bluegill are for flathead catfish. stinkbait and stuff like that is for channel catfish. you should use heavy gear if you're fishing live bait. flathead catfish get very big and they're very strong.

john t
10-12-2009, 07:23 PM
awesome....thanks for that tip... i have heavy tackle that i will be usuing. braded line. now as far as that goes, would you guys run a leader of clear line on live bait or stick with braded line all the way to the hook? and same question for stink bait, straight braid or clear leader? i know the canals out there are dirty so i know the water is not that clear.

gavin310
10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
awesome....thanks for that tip... i have heavy tackle that i will be usuing. braded line. now as far as that goes, would you guys run a leader of clear line on live bait or stick with braded line all the way to the hook? and same question for stink bait, straight braid or clear leader? i know the canals out there are dirty so i know the water is not that clear.

i prefer to have a 40 lb. mono leader on my 65 lb. braided line. that's mainly because if i get caught up on a tree or something, i can make sure the mono leader will break and i won't weaken my braided main line. that braid is too damn expensive :) most of the time though the 40 lb. mono is strong enough to break out of almost anything. although my friend fishes with straight braid and he does just fine.

make sure you have at least 4 oz. no-roll sinkers. over the weekend the current was pretty strong so i was fishing with 8 oz. no-roll sinkers.

Lightning
10-12-2009, 08:03 PM
The old river near Walter's camp has some good fishing,especially for catfish & carp.

john t
10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
thanks for the tip for no roll sinkers. i googled them to see what they look like and i dont have any so im gonna try to get some. would the pyrmid sinkers work well? i also have the ones shaped like half dollars. the last time i was at b & b they had all the catfish skeltons out, some of those damn things were huge. thanks for that info about walters camp, i looked it up on google as well and found out its pretty close to where i fish so thanks alot for that tip.

gavin310
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
thanks for the tip for no roll sinkers. i googled them to see what they look like and i dont have any so im gonna try to get some. would the pyrmid sinkers work well? i also have the ones shaped like half dollars. the last time i was at b & b they had all the catfish skeltons out, some of those damn things were huge. thanks for that info about walters camp, i looked it up on google as well and found out its pretty close to where i fish so thanks alot for that tip.

pretty sure b&b sells no-roll river sinkers. You can call them up and ask what sizes they have. Pyramid sinkers could work if you got some heavy ones, but you really want something with a low profile so the current goes right over them. The half dollars would work pretty well. I like no-rolls because the hole for the line goes straight through it, so there would be less resistance than the half dollar sinkers. just remember you need at the very least 4 oz. and preferably 6 or 8. it's a lot of weight but it's better than your bait fish sliding down the river and getting you tangled up.

bluehunter
10-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Not too many people use no roll sinkers out this way because it is hard to find. You have to order them from big stores. Catfishconnection.com has them. I also like to use torpedo sinkers they work well and I keep an arsenal of those when I do not have the no roll sinkers. Also the flat base sinkers. No rolls are good for carolina rigging but that is not the only style to flathead fishing either. You can also get away with fishing dropper loop style on the river or using 3 way swivels. Depending on if you are fishing the main river or canals really determines the size weight you need. Also depends on the current in either or. It also depends on the test line you are using. I stay away from really heavy current as that is not the best flathead holding areas. In the canals I can get away with 4 ounce weights. But generally I stick with 5-7 ounce. If I have to use heavier than that, the current is too fast for me for flatheads. B&B use to not have no rolls sinkers unless they got on the ball and ordered them as I said they are not a really big item used out this way among fisherman unless you are a true die hard. Most people order them. I ask people at shops around here and at BPS and they have no idea what I am talking a about. Those flat base sinkers are the closest to the no roll sinkers and works well too if you can not get the no rolls in time.

john t
10-13-2009, 07:54 AM
i'll have to see if b & b has those if not i'll get some more of the half dollar sinkers. thanks for all the tips guys.

gavin310
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Not too many people use no roll sinkers out this way because it is hard to find. You have to order them from big stores. Catfishconnection.com has them. I also like to use torpedo sinkers they work well and I keep an arsenal of those when I do not have the no roll sinkers. Also the flat base sinkers. No rolls are good for carolina rigging but that is not the only style to flathead fishing either. You can also get away with fishing dropper loop style on the river or using 3 way swivels. Depending on if you are fishing the main river or canals really determines the size weight you need. Also depends on the current in either or. It also depends on the test line you are using. I stay away from really heavy current as that is not the best flathead holding areas. In the canals I can get away with 4 ounce weights. But generally I stick with 5-7 ounce. If I have to use heavier than that, the current is too fast for me for flatheads. B&B use to not have no rolls sinkers unless they got on the ball and ordered them as I said they are not a really big item used out this way among fisherman unless you are a true die hard. Most people order them. I ask people at shops around here and at BPS and they have no idea what I am talking a about. Those flat base sinkers are the closest to the no roll sinkers and works well too if you can not get the no rolls in time.

hey brian last time i was at b&b in july they had some no-roll sinkers. i already had some so i didn't check what sizes they have. but yeah if you plan on seriously fishing the river you should order them online.

gavin310
10-13-2009, 02:00 PM

oh and using a dropper loop is a cool idea. the main problem with the goldfish and bluegill is when they get tired they just lay on the bottom, so the dropped loop would keep them propped up. also if there's some current it could keep them "swimming" even if they're out of energy. do you use this technique much?

bluehunter
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
hey brian last time i was at b&b in july they had some no-roll sinkers. i already had some so i didn't check what sizes they have. but yeah if you plan on seriously fishing the river you should order them online.

Cool man thanks that is good to know its a drag ordering them and waiting in the mail all the time for them.

B

bluehunter
10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
oh and using a dropper loop is a cool idea. the main problem with the goldfish and bluegill is when they get tired they just lay on the bottom, so the dropped loop would keep them propped up. also if there's some current it could keep them "swimming" even if they're out of energy. do you use this technique much?

If they lay on the bottom they are pretty much done. You might as well chop them up for cut bait or put them on ice for the fry as far as gills are concerned. I have found out that the less the current the more they are likely to live longer. I guess with the higher current and the lack of movement it have them use more energy or may cause them to drown more. The dropper loop style is something that I seen and read about in magazines. Especially using 3 way swivels like as illustrated in In fisherman mag. Personally I prefer the carolina rig. However in faster current 3 way swivels and loop style seems to be popular in some readings. Also in situation in which you are fishing heavy snaggs and using braided line as the main and lightly tied mono for the weights so you can have a better chance of getting fish out of the snaggs only losing the weight.

Katnip
10-16-2009, 10:19 PM
I'll be out fishing palo verde this weekend my dads' taking his white suburban with rims look for it ,if you see it flag me down.I'll show ya some good spots. The liquer store in palo verde sells gold fish and we usually stop there to check out the size, otherwise we'll be hitn the ditches for bait.....

Khmerfishing
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
wassup guys/ladies... My little cousin Birthday is comng up and all he want is a 2-3 day trip with the fellas and fish out in the PV/Blythe area for some cat(hopefully they are still bitting).. I know one exit and thats off 2nd street and I have been fishin the canals and no luck. I want to take him out there...if its not to much to ask...please PM me to a good spot for a couple of days of fishing...Tight line

KF