PDA

View Full Version : short vacation report - lake siskiou #1

Gmoney
07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
this place is soooo awesome. i am glad i get to come here each year to visit family
last night we got into dunsmuir around 3:30 and decided to drive down to cantera loop....great creek/river area. the area is protected so everything is C/R. also you have to use barbless hooks and no bait only lures. I spent about an hour throwing some flies out on my regular 2lb set up (not flyfishing) and got one baby brook trout that was about 6" inches....what a beautiful fish and great fight for such a small fry
today i hit lake siskiou targeting areas around the dam (all shore fishing). the pillar that goes down the side of the damn was occupied all morning and the gentleman was catching some nice rainbows at about 40 feet of the bottom. I decided to work around the shore throwing roboworms and different lures. i got around 13-15 bass both large and small mouth all on roboworms. The largest was maybe around 2 lbs. Around noon the pillar opened up so i dropped a white poweregg with mealworm combo down about 40' and within 5 minutes hooked a sweet 2+ lb rainbow....with full tails and lots of spunk. made many strong runs only to get landed :lol:
the rainbow swallowed the hook and was hurting pretty bad....so i kept him and then gave him to some small kids fishing up by where i parked
all other fish were released
cant wait to start again tomorrow
sorry for the lack of pictures as my camera took a swim....or should i say sink. i thought cameras could do the backstoke but i guess that was a lie.
now i have to tell wifey that her camera is hosed....yuk
will report back tomorrow

one_leg
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Great report, Gmoney. Even without pics it felt like I standing there right next to you.

One_Leg

troutdog
07-03-2007, 02:29 AM
I have not ben to that lake since I was a kid on vacation with my folks, but I remember having a great day catching lmb dinks next to one of the boat ramps on a Thomas Bouyant. Glad you did well on your trip!

TD

Gmoney
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
ok...it has been a busy vacation...slightly relaxing as the fishing was really a break when it came...sorry for the tramble but i just finished boozing with the high school buds...wahoooo
day 2 was tuesday so i took all the kids to the north shore.....really warm by 9:00. it took that long to get the the family fed, then transported to the lake, then hooked up and baited.
bottom line is this......great day with the kids
they were sooo out of control...but it was very cool. eventually the lines were pulled in so they could play in the water.
we had several bites on white power egg meal worm combos but no full takers.
brother in law got one small bass about 10"....great fight
that was the only fish....i hooked 3 small bass and got them into shore but they got off before i could pull them up and release them...they were all very small
My lil girl got bit by something that was off the scale mean.... i think a wasp but my wife saw a dragon fly.....it swelled her leg up with no stinger but it wasnt too long before she was feeling fine...naturally we called the day short
i got to go back tuesday afternoon for a few hours and it was dead...i was fishing deep for the rout but the outside temp had raised over 15 degrees from the day before....crazy but it was hot...no fishes worht metioning.
no fishing juy 4th
today i got to fish from 5:45 to 9:00...kind of
rule 1...rememer to take license with you.
rule 2... remember to fish at great sopt that is only 5 minutes from hotel.... i drove back picked up license and was back on lake in 15 minutes....SWEEEEET
hooks in water by 6:05.....DEAD.... one nibble on deep trout rigs between 6:00 and 8:00. i tried several combos with no takers so i decided to get back to the small bass
in the last hour i hit 6. mostly on roboworm t-rigged but i had to use a green berkly trout worm for the last 1/2 hour and it was off the hook.....fish were hitting it left and right but i only got 2 with the largest one about 1.5 lbs. the little guys were all over the green trout worm....heh apparently they dont know they arent trout :lol:
trip is over...im in sactown at 110 degrees and can wait to hit irvine this weekend
good news is this.... i have a few pix from the waterloggged camera that dried out out and is fully functional.....go fuji...I am know a big fan
i also have one camer pic taken today
will post all tomorrow when i get back to the hood
I LOVE SISKIOU
fishing was ok but the scene is far more important

Gmoney
07-07-2007, 12:28 PM
last day
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/0705070809.jpg

Gmoney
07-07-2007, 12:38 PM
earlier lost pix
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/castella.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/dam1.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/dam2.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/nshore1.JPG

cant wait to go back at the end of october :lol: :lol: :lol:

one_leg
07-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Nice smallie and trout!

Lucky dog!

One_Leg

Troutman65
07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Really great report.

Sorry about the camera. Hopfully wifey is an understanding type. LOL.

Great pics too. Nice bass and trout.

I like the pic. with the lake reflection and your wearing your team 57 shirt

Thanks for the post

:thumb:

troutman65

spartafish
07-12-2007, 11:11 AM
sweet report. im going camping in a couple weeks at amry smith on lewiston lake...do you know much about it?

Gmoney
07-13-2007, 11:12 AM
sweet report. im going camping in a couple weeks at amry smith on lewiston lake...do you know much about it?

dont know anything about lewiston....but if its up north its gotta be nice IMHO
have a great time and I'll keep an eye out for your report

steve092
09-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Smallie right?
But nice fish.

Fisher-of-Men
09-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Nice report Gmoney :!: Beautiful country up there. :thumb:

Fisher-of-Men

Gmoney
10-02-2007, 05:16 PM
i get the opportunity to go back to siskiou later this month for a family event....wahoooo
i have never been there outside of summer months and am really looking forward to some fall fishing. the dfg shows that they are starting to stock trout there as well - wahooo

is there anyone on this board that has been at this lake for trout during the fall and winter months???

im guessing that they stock near the boat ramp near the camp grounds but dont know anything for sure. I prefer the north shore and areas near the dam gut would love to hear anyone's feedback or advice.

laters
G$

Troutman65
10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
i get the opportunity to go back to siskiou later this month for a family event....wahoooo
i have never been there outside of summer months and am really looking forward to some fall fishing. the dfg shows that they are starting to stock trout there as well - wahooo

is there anyone on this board that has been at this lake for trout during the fall and winter months???

im guessing that they stock near the boat ramp near the camp grounds but dont know anything for sure. I prefer the north shore and areas near the dam gut would love to hear anyone's feedback or advice.

laters
G$

Ok, you asked for it. The VIKINGS !!!!

:wink:

I would bring my trout gear and what ever fishing gear you want and explore. Seek out new places. You seem to be a good fisherman and should have no problem catching fish bro. Looking forward to reading your report when you get back.

TM65