PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter on the Eclipse 10/10

deanhall32
10-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Went on the Eclipse. I caught a nice dorado and a bunch of small rat yellowtail that were all in the 2-3 lb. class. All were released.

Quick notes on the boat and the trip:

1) The trip was advertised as 28 but 31 people showed up.

2) The boat rule was that there would be no fishing on the slide for 30 seconds. Might explain why there were no yft caught after jig strikes.

3) The captain announced numerous times that tipping would be split 6 ways ( 5 crewmembers and himself ) and broke it down as if we couldn't divide. He said that if we tipped 20 bucks then each member would get 3 dollars and if we tipped 40 bucks than each member would get 6 dollars. I thought that was kind of pushy.

4) The captain announced that we should keep all tiny yellowtail because " that might be all the ocean has to offer today."

I ended up with 1 dorado and released alot of puny yellowtail. The boat caught around 100 yellowtail that were kept.

5) We had to get bait on the way in and watched the captain talk to the guy working the receiver for another 15 minutes. This was after a 7 hour boat ride home after we stopped fishing at 1:30.

Note: As we got our fish up at the landing an Asian guy noticed a milk carton full of 2lb. yellowtail and asked if they were whitefish? I thought Liteliner was waiting for the next trip out.

Nice boat but I don't think I will be going out on it soon......

ghetto dad
10-11-2009, 07:51 AM

The MOST that should have been on there Coach was 30...sucks

2) The boat rule was that there would be no fishing on the slide for 30 seconds. Might explain why there were no yft caught after jig strikes.

The slide IS the first 30 seconds!! WTF??

3) The captain announced numerous times that tipping would be split 6 ways ( 5 crewmembers and himself ) and broke it down as if we couldn't divide. He said that if we tipped 20 bucks then each member would get 3 dollars and if we tipped 40 bucks than each member would get 6 dollars. I thought that was kind of pushy.

Wow..complete BS!

4) The captain announced that we should keep all tiny yellowtail because " that might be all the ocean has to offer today."

Lol....

I ended up with 1 dorado and released alot of puny yellowtail. The boat caught around 100 yellowtail that were kept.

Nice Job Coach

5) We had to get bait on the way in and watched the captain talk to the guy working the receiver for another 15 minutes. This was after a 7 hour boat ride home after we stopped fishing at 1:30.

Classic...

Note: As we got our fish up at the landing an Asian guy noticed a milk carton full of 2lb. yellowtail and asked if they were whitefish? I thought Liteliner was waiting for the next trip out.

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I would like to think NEVER again....

Theres always one bad apple in the bunch Coach...Seems like SD HAS straightened their act up tho over the last few years..one of the reasons I stopped fishing SD was cuzz thats how most boats that I went on were...its good that only one of your 45 trips this summer was crappy...take care Dean "Living the Dream" Hall.....:Big Grin:

GD

Lightline
10-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Sounds simular to the Jig Strike on the rat yellowtails.

off the list

JIG STRIKE
ECLIPSE

formosa
10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
yeah, keep rat for fish count? some time our fishing industry is self-destruted. this kind of
practice shall stop, n c&r only for rats. one more boat off the list.
nice job for released those rats, thanks for report.

4g63power
10-11-2009, 10:46 AM
at least you got NASCAR today coach!

Simplyeman
10-11-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah, keep rat for fish count? some time our fishing industry is self-destruted. this kind of

That why I love these fishing forums, we will always find out:Big Grin:

sansou
10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Coming from Dean, a cattleboat vet, I take these kind of reports to heart.

Thanks for reporting the facts and giving us a good glimpse of the style (or lack thereof) that goes on the Eclipse. Maybe the paint will peel off and the ol' Renegade will sail again.....lol !!

Kinda bummed for you, I was hoping you could close the tuna season on an upnote, but on the other hand, you've murdered them all summer long.

JapanRon
10-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi deanhall32,

Great info. This is why .... nah ... one hears that too much these days.

I'm with sansou ... with so many great experiences this season .... chalk this one up to the odds. Besides ... makes the memories all the sweeter AND rev's you up for next year first shot at the fish.

Surely you've got a couple more trips in ya this year?

JapanRon

really_drunk
10-11-2009, 08:46 PM
nice do-do dean!! how much was the beer on that boat :Wink:??

deanhall32
10-11-2009, 09:12 PM

The MOST that should have been on there Coach was 30...sucks

The slide IS the first 30 seconds!! WTF??

Wow..complete BS!

Lol....

Nice Job Coach

Classic...

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I would like to think NEVER again....

Theres always one bad apple in the bunch Coach...Seems like SD HAS straightened their act up tho over the last few years..one of the reasons I stopped fishing SD was cuzz thats how most boats that I went on were...its good that only one of your 45 trips this summer was crappy...take care Dean "Living the Dream" Hall.....:Big Grin:

GD
You would have been fuming on this trip GD!! Thanks for agreeing with me for once..

Sounds simular to the Jig Strike on the rat yellowtails.

off the list

JIG STRIKE
ECLIPSE
Been on both this summer. I will take the Jig Strike over the Eclipse any day!

Thanks man.

at least you got NASCAR today coach!
Sitting 4 rows from the track was a real rush today! Thanks Jimmy..

That why I love these fishing forums, we will always find out:Big Grin:
That's one reason why I post my trips! Thanks

Coming from Dean, a cattleboat vet, I take these kind of reports to heart.

Thanks for reporting the facts and giving us a good glimpse of the style (or lack thereof) that goes on the Eclipse. Maybe the paint will peel off and the ol' Renegade will sail again.....lol !!

Kinda bummed for you, I was hoping you could close the tuna season on an upnote, but on the other hand, you've murdered them all summer long.
Thanks counselor!!!

Hi deanhall32,

Great info. This is why .... nah ... one hears that too much these days.

I'm with sansou ... with so many great experiences this season .... chalk this one up to the odds. Besides ... makes the memories all the sweeter AND rev's you up for next year first shot at the fish.

Surely you've got a couple more trips in ya this year?

JapanRon
Well put JR! It has been a good summer and I look forward to the winter season!

nice do-do dean!! how much was the beer on that boat :Wink:??
$3.00 a beer. No deal and I had such a crappy time that I only drank 4 the whole time!

murrieta angler
10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey Dean,
Sorry to hear about the negative stuff. I appreciate the report and pics and am still looking forward to fishing with you 1 day. TC Robert

olfishergal
10-12-2009, 01:52 PM
should have come up and fished with us yesterday Dean.......Maybe I will moosie down your way one of these times......OFG

deanhall32
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey Dean,
Sorry to hear about the negative stuff. I appreciate the report and pics and am still looking forward to fishing with you 1 day. TC Robert

Anytime man!! Just PM me.

deanhall32
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
should have come up and fished with us yesterday Dean.......Maybe I will moosie down your way one of these times......OFG

I know I would have had more fun with you and the boys!! I still will be going out on 3/4 boats to the Coronado Islands on weekends. They are killing the big yellows there right now! Thanks OFG

victor101
10-12-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the report Dean. Im hoping after the move I could make my way down there. It will take me 4 hours to drive to LA...and about 4 hours to drive to SD. So if the fishing is better...y not? I hope those Coronado Yellows are still biting then.

deanhall32
10-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the report Dean. Im hoping after the move I could make my way down there. It will take me 4 hours to drive to LA...and about 4 hours to drive to SD. So if the fishing is better...y not? I hope those Coronado Yellows are still biting then.

4 hours to SD? You driving a lowrider and holding up traffic the whole way??

victor101
10-12-2009, 03:07 PM
4 hours to SD? You driving a lowrider and holding up traffic the whole way??

LOL... From vegas to SD is around 4 hours and 30 mins...for me at least.

Troutman65
10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the report Dean. At least you were out on the water doing what you love .:Cool::Envious::Big Grin::Wink:

kgselect
10-12-2009, 04:40 PM
Nice dodo. Sounds like the captain was finishing up a long, hard season. A while ago there was another boat & captain that didn't want people to fish the slide. Can't remember the name though.

Oz
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
you still caught some fish dean-o even tho some of the BS u had to endure on the trip. we know what boat u wont be going on anytime soon :LOL: u will get em next weekend im sure.

TONTO6190
10-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Odium
10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Nice dodo! I'll have to keep note to avoid this boat when I head down to SD