PDA

View Full Version : Skunked at Castaic 10/11/09

delmar
10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Went to castaic today with my best buddy since high school, got there around 7 am I believe. This was my first time fishing castaic, I hardly fish freshwater, I do a lot of salt though. But anyways, as we got down to the ramp, walk to the right side started to see some boils, I thought that was pretty damn cool! hahaha. Saw the boils threw out my LC Flash Minnow, I know I know the Sammy lure works great for these boils but me and my buddy had no time to go out and get some, when we did, none of the shop had them. So seeing the boils got us pretty sad, knowing we didn't have the right gear, but that doesn't mean we didn't try with our flash minnows, but couldn't land any hahaha. After the first boil we saw died down which lasted almost good 10 mins wasn't consistent but they were there. We moved further down the lake threw out some chovies hoping to get something atleast, I also threw out some plastic hoping to get a bass but no love from them. Hours gone by in beating up the sun, around 12 pm we saw 2 of the biggest boil of the day that lasted a couple seconds, it was about 10 mins away of walking distance. After that everything just died down, left castaic around 3:40 Pm. Wasn't sad that we got skunked, but it was a really good experience though. After leaving castaic we headed right to bass pro, just because we didn't feel like going home, and we needed some sammys. But seeing those boils were pretty cool. Im pretty much a rookie at castaic, but we'll be back very soon to chase those boils. If anyone have some tips for me feel free to post or pm me some. Thanks!

karlow
10-10-2009, 10:36 PM
You guys must have done something wrong today. We got there before they opened the lake today. When we launched the boat we started trolling the fishing arm. We saw several people on shore hooking up! We were not doing crap, but the shore seemed hot this morning!

KP

Ray Lopez
10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Went to castaic today with my best buddy since high school, got there around 7 am I believe. This was my first time fishing castaic, I hardly fish freshwater, I do a lot of salt though. But anyways, as we got down to the ramp, walk to the right side started to see some boils, I thought that was pretty damn cool! hahaha. Saw the boils threw out my LC Flash Minnow, I know I know the Sammy lure works great for these boils but me and my buddy had no time to go out and get some, when we did, none of the shop had them. So seeing the boils got us pretty sad, knowing we didn't have the right gear, but that doesn't mean we didn't try with our flash minnows, but couldn't land any hahaha. After the first boil we saw died down which lasted almost good 10 mins wasn't consistent but they were there. We moved further down the lake threw out some chovies hoping to get something atleast, I also threw out some plastic hoping to get a bass but no love from them. Hours gone by in beating up the sun, around 12 pm we saw 2 of the biggest boil of the day that lasted a couple seconds, it was about 10 mins away of walking distance. After that everything just died down, left castaic around 3:40 Pm. Wasn't sad that we got skunked, but it was a really good experience though. After leaving castaic we headed right to bass pro, just because we didn't feel like going home, and we needed some sammys. But seeing those boils were pretty cool. Im pretty much a rookie at castaic, but we'll be back very soon to chase those boils. If anyone have some tips for me feel free to post or pm me some. Thanks!

should of gone to Gary's fishing clinic on the lower lake today. Gary, Hiro, Bob, and I were all sharing loads of info to anyone who asked.

The lagoon was decent fishing i caught 5 bass up to 3 pounds first thing in the morning

Jimbow
10-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Actually from what I saw it was a tough day at castaic for the shore fisherman. I fished the shore East of the main boat ramp and did not see one person catch anything all day long. I did not get so much as a bite but did get some excitement when the family that setup 10 bait poles next to me kept launching their rigs over me. I did see 2 boils from 7am till 3pm and both were to far away for me to get too. Think I was even able to take a nap which was the first time in my life I actually fill asleep at the lake while I was fishing. :Confused:

delmar
10-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info guys, yeah we did everything wrong ahaha.

formosa
10-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the info guys, yeah we did everything wrong ahaha.

welcome for freshwater fisherman, the lake been hit or miss lately. just try it again, you
will get them next time. btw did you find Sammy at BPS? Performance has them all.
714-826-1400

delmar
10-11-2009, 09:53 AM
welcome for freshwater fisherman, the lake been hit or miss lately. just try it again, you
will get them next time. btw did you find Sammy at BPS? Performance has them all.
714-826-1400

Oh great, I tottaly forgot about that shop hahaha! I see there ad all the time when I watch the fishing channel. Thanks formosa!