PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana River

Juventino
10-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Well i made the drive to fish the SAR for the first time i decided to start from the South fork end where the 38 and fork meet.
I got there at 7 and work my way down from there about a mile down i hit a pool I didnt have any sunglasses and the glare made it imposable to see clearly into the water do i was like screw it ill see if anything in it threw in a pink trout magnet with the float maybe a foot from the bait and bam a nice rainbow took it it was a decent trout 10in. Walked maybe about another 2 miles and let the worm go down with the current and bam another trout and this was a nice one topped at 14in put up a nice fight. Went down another 1 mile and got another bite it was only at 6in max it ate the hook completely i wanted to releaseit cuz of its size but there was no way it would survive with the hook so i just took it maybe i can get 2 fish nuggets from it lol.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6986/1009091954.jpg

Thisfool
10-10-2009, 07:39 PM
nice one man to bad about the lil guy i hate when that happens but nice fishing

teejay
10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Went down another 1 mile and got another bite it was only at 6in max it ate the hook completely i wanted to releaseit cuz of its size but there was no way it would survive with the hook so i just took it maybe i can get 2 fish nugget.

Yes, that's certainly one of the challenges of fishing where there are both stockers and wild trout present. In those cases where you want to release a fish that's hooked to deep but not bleeding from the gills, you may want to consider cutting the line as close to the hook as possible. Studies have shown that the hook will eventually corrode and disolve. Good luck.

delmar
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Congrats on the catch, When I was fishing in Kings Canyon, I caught a 5 inch trouth with another line coming out of its mouth, I wanted to help that little dude out but didn't want to kill him so i let him back, the line was hangin gpretty far out of its mouth don't know why the angler who caught it didn't wanna cut it shortter.

vortec_cruiser
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice catch.

That is one reason I like to fish artificials and barbless.

taksx
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Cool deal. thanks for sharing.

pasadenafishin
10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Congrats on the catch, When I was fishing in Kings Canyon, I caught a 5 inch trouth with another line coming out of its mouth, I wanted to help that little dude out but didn't want to kill him so i let him back, the line was hangin gpretty far out of its mouth don't know why the angler who caught it didn't wanna cut it shortter.

Its actually been proven that it is better to leave a couple inches of line coming out of the fishes mouth as apposed to cutting off all of the line. Supposedly the line pulls the hook to the side, allowing the fish to eat

idratherbfishin
10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice job on those bows, 14 inches is very nice for SAR even being a stocker. Tight lines. -bfishin

Trout 1
10-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Good job bro nice fish, I'm going to have to hit up SAR.

Luc25
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Was just up there yesterday fishing the south fork but headed down the trail a ways where there is vehicle access. Pulled a couple rainbows that were a nice 12inches. Also got a couple of small browns prolly around 6 or 7 inches safley released. Fly line half a crawler w/ barbless hook on 2lb test. This place is almost like the San Gabriel River but the surroundings are a lot better. If anyone is going up stop at the jerky place on the right before heading up the mountain on 38. They got some good jerky. The pineapple teriyaki brisket is bomb. The sweet and hot jerky is not a bad choice either.