PDA

View Full Version : Perris Lake 10/9 Starts with a Bang

Natural Lefty
10-10-2009, 03:17 PM
With the cooler weather, I decided to go back to Perris Lake. This time, I headed to Lots 11 and 12. When I got there, the one near the manmade jetty (presumably Lot 11) was closed. It looks like it is closed long term to me, but I have no idea why. Thus, I parked at the nearby Jet Ski Launch parking lot (presumably Lot 12). I thought about fishing toward the east end of the lake, but decided to go to my original idea, the jetty by lot 11. At least that way, I could compare the fishing and conditions with the last time I was there, which was probably over a year ago. I used to have the best success catching large Redears there in the fall. I knew conditions had changed, but I wanted to check it out.

I hiked out toward the end of the jetty, noticing that the water had dropped even further, and there were reeds which had never been there before, some of which were out of the water. There were hundreds of little young of the year Largemouth Bass in the shallows, especially near the reeds. The water was completely below the rocks all along the jetty. I finally stopped near the end, when this fact had become clear, and cast out my mini-jig, but it landed in the veggies. I reeled it in, put on a bobber, and cast out about 25 feet, safely beyond the veggies. Before I could even close the bail of my reel, my bobber was being dragged under. A moment later, I landed a good size Bluegill with my jig in its mouth. It was clearly a male with classic Florida Strain characteristics. I looked at my watch then, which read 3:30.

That seemed like a great harbinger of good fishing to come, and it usually is when I catch a good fish so quickly. However, over the next couple of hours, I tried the bobber and jig, the bobber and jig with worms, bottom fishing with worms, a Rebel lure, and my fly from last time, up and down the peninsula, with a total of one more light strike on the jig. It made me think that that first fish was either total luck, my fishy ESP at work, or the good karma I mentioned last time. (By the way, I did go fishing last week, at Newport Pier, mostly hoop netting for Crab, but no long boring report as it was a total dud and disappointment. There were lots of fisher people, zero crabs, which is strange for there, and few fish. The only ones I "caught" were 2 Black Perch and one baby Kelp Bass in the hoop net -- all released as required with hoop net caught fish -- not the fishing line, and those don't really count. I would advise people not to go to Newport Pier anytime soon.) Finally, around 5:30, I parked my gear in the sandy area just to the east of the corner of the jetty. It looked like there were fewer veggies there, so I thought it would be better for bottom fishing. I also saw other people fishing there.

I casted out as far as I could with a slowly sinking, nearly filled clear bobber, the kind typically used for the bobber and fly technique, but with more water in it. The other pole I cast out with the bobber, jig and worm. At first, nothing bit, but the lady fishing next to me caught a smallish Redear on a mealworm. After that, there was about an hour of really good fishing as the sun set and dusk came on, from about 5:45 to 6:45. I caught 2 Redears and 2Bluegills, all on the bottom fishing pole around 100 feet or so from shore. I kept one Redear and one Bluegill which were okay size, let go a plump baby Redear, and gave the other smallish Bluegill to the lady next to me who said she wanted to turn it into a crispy fried Bluegill.

Meanwhile, I had little success with the other pole, despite seeing many fish surfacing nearby and being serenaded by the constant buzz of a swarm of midges. I tried worms, the jig, the fly from last time, and an Adams fly, which usually works well when fish are feeding on midges. I did get a few strikes on the flies, one a good one on the Adams which surprised me, but I missed it. I noticed that this time, the midges were hovering over land, not the water, so perhaps they weren't falling into the water. I also noticed those tiny white flies which are too small for any imitation I know of, and several small moths hovering around my line. All the catching was on the bottom fishing pole, however. The lady next to me also caught several fish, including a good size Redear. Her husband, who was about 50 feet to my left, did not seem to be where the fish were, but finally, he did catch a good size Redear. The fish seemed to like their mealworms best. They were also using Crickets, with less success. I would use mealworms for bait, but I am allergic to them. :Confused:

There was also a group of 4 young men farther east along the shoreline. I witnessed one of them catch 2 Bass dropshotting, about 13 inches apiece, which he promptly put in his basket just like any old long, thin Sunfish. His friends appeared to get skunked. I was kind of greateful for the constant buzz of the midges flying around me (they seem to like me), since these guys couldn't seem to finish a sentence without using a cussword or three. Apparently, crass references to sex are like ketchup to these people; it goes with everything. :Rolls Eyes:References to waste elimination are also quite versatile among these people, too. :Embarrassed: I don't understand why so many people talk this way. Why don't they try increasing their vocabulary, so they can really communicate, instead of simply conveying negative emotions for no particular reason? Maybe 3 of them were frustrated because they weren't catching anything. I heard one of them announce in his way that there were a bunch of "mosquitoes" around him -- which were really midges --and they quickly left after that. Oh well! :EyePop:

The fish stopped biting around 6:45, about the time it got dark. The Crispy Fried Bluegill Lady and her husband left around 7, and I left around 7:15. Even though I caught fewer fish this time, I was happy that there was a better ratio of keeper size fish (3 out of 5), a better Redear ratio (about equal numbers of Redears and Bluegills caught) and discovered a new fishing spot for long-cast bottom fishing, at least. I wound up catching tonight's main course, plus a good amount of Dragon Fruit food.

Here's the catch:
1 good sized Bluegill (measured at 8 3/4 inches) on a mini-jig (Trout Magnet);
2 Bluegills on assorted worms 1 smallish one given to the Crispy Fried Bluegill Lady, 1 average size one kept);
2 Redears on assorted worms (1 baby released, 1 smallish one kept).

Photo captions: Photo number one shows four of my fish fed Dragon Fruit; Number two shows my jig-caught Bluegill, the "catch of the day," as it turned out; Number three shows the flower which resulted from the same bud which could barely be seen the previous time. I took this photo this morning. Notice the two Bees which are dwarfed by the flower.

P.S. I couldn't get my cat Gorjilina to "pose" for her photo this time. She kept pacing around, meowing happily.

JigStop
10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I am messmerized by the length and sheer amount of detail that goes into your posts. You deserve a trip out to the deep water to take a shot at some of the "long skinny sunfish" with Pete Marino. Using simple math, I reckon that if you caught 20+ bass your post describing it would take ove three hours to read...................:EyePop:

Natural Lefty
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Okay, "I went to Perris Lake and caught 3 Bluegills and 2 Redears."

Maybe if I caught a bunch of Bass I could say, "I went to Perris Lake and caught a bunch of long skinny Sunfish, lost track of how many.":Smile:

I think details are what makes the post informative, though. Otherwise, it is more or less bragging, if the person did well, or a warning and lament, if the person did not do well. Also, I like to write about anything I find interesting that happened during a fishing trip, and probably like to write in a detailed manner because I am trained in scientific writing plus I am a blogger.

fishmounter
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
You know what NL, your reports are more like stories, but I really enjoy reading them. I would like to fish with you at Perris sometime. And I agree with your view on certain "words" that so many people just casually throw around and seem to use in every sentence. I mean I'm no prude and I swear all the time, but not out in a public place where it may offend someone or be heard by young kids (like my grandson recently at Perris). I know it's just how some people talk nowadays, but it's just not cool in my book. Or maybe I should say it's f**ked up! But I'm old school, so what do I know?...

HuskerRod
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Your reports are well written and really neat. Keep up the good work!!!! Perris is notorious for attracting a rougher grade of person. Fight the good fight, ignore it, and keep doing your thing. Your my kind of guy!!!!!!

Huskerrod

Natural Lefty
10-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you for the support Fishmounter and HuskerRod. Also thanks to Jig Stop; I took your comment as a compliment this morning, just to make that clear. It would be cool to run into any of you on a fishing adventure, for sure. I thought I never cussed, but one of my students pointed out I used some bad language one time last year. I try not to, though.

By the way, speaking of irritatingly obscure posts, how about:

I went Ninja fishing today at my secret spot. Caught a bunch of big fish on my secret bait, but had to get outta there when I saw the security guy. Fortunately I'm still young and could outrun his fat ol' ***. :Embarrassed:

I've seen too many reports more or less like that.

fishmounter
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes those reports are very positive and give us some great fishing information...NOT!. There are way too many of those and the photos with the blurred backgrounds and the blacked out faces.

bass413
10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
I agree. I can't stand the "Ninja" reports. I don't care about a fish someone's caught in a lake/pond they're not supposed to be at.

Keep up the lengthy reports. They're good reading and very informative.

Natural Lefty
10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I also find a lot of posts to be overly picture dependent, at least for my slow-speed computer.

You know "Here's a picture of me leaving my house. Here's a picture of me getting into my car. Here's a picture of me at the highway turnoff... etc." :Rolls Eyes:

By the time they get to showing the fishing, I usually get a bunch of Red Xs, or have to wait a long time for the photos to load. That is why I don't bother to try to integrate any photos into the text of the report. I personally think it is better to include them as attachments. That way the page loads faster, and the reader has the option of whether or not to look at the photos. Of course, a lot of people may disagree with that, but that's what works for me.