PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 10-08-09 night time slayage!

Ray Lopez
10-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Once again i dragged myself out of the house on a cold early fall night.

My buddy rich and I met at the lagoon at about 8:30pm to find out that the upper lot was closed so we parked down by the main lot. Shot the breeze for a bit and set up the rigs and talked about the game plan.

First we tried to hit the rip rap for a few casts, i got one little bite and rich got a bluegill on a n/c (i of course for you that know me was using the almighty drop shot w/ roboworm intact!!)

So we decided to make our way north fan casting all the way till about mid point in the lake. We sat there and fished for a bit the bite was fair nothing to brag about but it was there. Rich and i were landing 1 to 2 pounders with a few 3's showing up here and there. We fished here until our buddy Dave got there. He showed up around 10ish. We started to move a bit more north and then Dave who was not catching anything says he is gonna go to the northernmost spot and fish that since he said he had heard crashing in the water last week.

Well i know we are in a good spot for the previous weeks so i stay put. Once Dave was out of site. I see a huge boil from a bigger class fish right out to the left of me. I cast out a bit past the boil and I get slammed really hard but miss the fish. So i reel up adjust my roboworm cast again in the same spot and with a few twitches of the worm i get slammed again and this time i connect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DING DING DING fight is on! I could tell this was a better fish then what we had been catching all night so i slow down my fighting and let this one run it self out of juice. It was a nice 5 minute battle and i was able to keep her from jumping up until she got to the shallow shoreline. Scooped her up took some pics and weighed her at 7.3lbs on my digi, then walked up ankle deep just to get her back in the water. (oh well cold wet feet are worth 7 pound bass any day.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/7bass10-9-09lagoon.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/RayLopez/Fishing%20Photos/7pounder10-09-09lagoon.jpg

So we fished that spot for a bit longer with no more love.

We keep fishing north until we meet up with Dave. He was still not catching anything at all. So we proceed to make our way back south. Just working shoreline the whole way to find a good spot. Rich and I were picking um off here and there but the bite died down pretty dramatically around 1am. Dave switched over to a lure *can't recall what it was called but he did not catch anything on it so whatever lol* He was way in front of me and rich. Almost near the front parking lot. When the bite ripped pen for rich and I again lol. We picked a few more off before we got back to the cars and called it a night.

All in all it was a really good early fall condition bite with most fish hitting a bit deeper then the last few weeks. The smaller units were still sitting in the shallows chasing the bait fish.

Fish count for the night
Ray: 14 bass with that 7 pounder being the biggest
Rich: 8 bass with a 3 pounder being the biggest
Dave: 0 bass with a big ol fat skunk (don't understand how he didn't catch anything)

it was 3am when we called it a night so about 6 hours of night fishing.

Remember folks if you plan on going out bring warm clothing it gets biter cold at night with a little freezing breeze that will numb your hands.

other then the cold conditions it was a beautiful night with the 3/4 moon rising around 10pm and almost no wind all night long sep for a few small cooooooooooold winds that came thru around 2am.

Sorry i was only abl to take the one pic i was too busy catching fish hahahaha!

tight lines

Fire Ball
10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice fish. What do you recommend, the roboworms? What color? I'm interested in night fishing on the Lagoon. It also said you caught a bluegill on a nightcrawler. Where you using those for bass and got the bluegill on accident?

Ray Lopez
10-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Nice fish. What do you recommend, the roboworms? What color? I'm interested in night fishing on the Lagoon. It also said you caught a bluegill on a night crawler. Where you using those for bass and got the bluegill on accident?

for robos right now use dark colors

this week i used:
Bold Bluegill 6" straight tail
Green Weenie Xmas flake 7" straight tail
MM III 6" straight tail

Last week i used:
MM III 6" straight tail
Purple Smoke 4 1/2" curly tail
Hologram Shad 6" straight tail

2 weeks ago:
MM III 6" straight tail
Midnight 6" straight tail

these were just the colors that i caught fish on in the last 3 trips i used many different colors and sizes between me and my 2 buddies.

lots of folks have been telling me that senkos in the 4" range have been doing well at night too. But i have yet to break out my senkos. I travel light at night and only carry what i know will work.

I also tried a new one for me that was the 6" Aaron's magic zipper worm but after about 30 minutes with no love i gave up and went to what i knew would work.

the n/c's were used by my buddie because he is a bait and wait sort of guy but when you fish with me you move most of the night maybe sitting in one spot for 30 minutes at most. So yea he was giving it a shot for the bass, i have caught quite a few Bass there and seen many bigger units caught with n/c's but the bass really have to be in the mood. I have most of my love using n/c's after a good rain, other then that i hardly ever use them. He did not connect with any bass on n/c that night.

Fire Ball
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
for robos right now use dark colors

this week i used:
Green Weenie Xmas flake 7" straight tail
MM III 6" straight tail

Last week i used:
MM III 6" straight tail
Purple Smoke 4 1/2" curly tail

2 weeks ago:
MM III 6" straight tail
Midnight 6" straight tail

these were just the colors that i caught fish on in the last 3 trips i used many different colors and sizes between me and my 2 buddies.

lots of folks have been telling me that senkos in the 4" range have been doing well at night too. But i have yet to break out my senkos. I travel light at night and only carry what i know will work.

I also tried a new one for me that was the 6" Aaron's magic zipper worm but after about 30 minutes with no love i gave up and went to what i knew would work.

the n/c's were used by my buddie because he is a bait and wait sort of guy but when you fish with me you move most of the night maybe sitting in one spot for 30 minutes at most. So yea he was giving it a shot for the bass, i have caught quite a few Bass there and seen many bigger units caught with n/c's but the bass really have to be in the mood. I have most of my love using n/c's after a good rain, other then that i hardly ever use them. He did not connect with any bass on n/c that night.

Thanks. I have some 5" Senkos so I will try them out. I'm using 1/0 hooks with them and those are too small, right? Am I going to lose any fish or anything?

troutdog
10-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice fish Raylo....good to see some "Goon" reports still trickling in, hope you are doing well buddy.

TD

Ray Lopez
10-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks. I have some 5" Senkos so I will try them out. I'm using 1/0 hooks with them and those are too small, right? Am I going to lose any fish or anything?
for senkos it all depends on how you rig, if you rig texas, or carolina then 1/0 to 3/0 worm hoooks should suffice. If you wacky rig 1/0 is perfect. remember you want that worm to move so the bigger the hook the less it's gonna wiggle.

i mean for drop shotting i use size 6 or 4 and maybe size 2 for 7" worms of larger.

Nice fish Raylo....good to see some "Goon" reports still trickling in, hope you are doing well buddy.

TD
the goon has been alive and pumping out fish like crazy, it's just i haven't been making reports like i used to. I'm doing pretty good thanks for asking hommie. Take care!

Fire Ball
10-09-2009, 05:06 PM
for senkos it all depends on how you rig, if you rig texas, or carolina then 1/0 to 3/0 worm hoooks should suffice. If you wacky rig 1/0 is perfect. remember you want that worm to move so the bigger the hook the less it's gonna wiggle.

i mean for drop shotting i use size 6 or 4 and maybe size 2 for 7" worms of larger.

the goon has been alive and pumping out fish like crazy, it's just i haven't been making reports like i used to. I'm doing pretty good thanks for asking hommie. Take care!

Alright, so I did buy the right size! I have only tried texas rigging. What is most effective?

Simplyeman
10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Youre a mad man Ray, isn't this youre third day of slayage?

Ray Lopez
10-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Alright, so I did buy the right size! I have only tried Texas rigging. What is most effective?
i'm not a big senko guy but from what people have told me is to wacky rig the senko weightless and try to cast out towards boils and let it drop slowly. But to blind fish it Texas rigging is a damn good producer. the smaller ones can be drop shot rigged that way you keep it off the bottom. But in all honesty I'm only fishing 1 foot from the bottom i don't think it's gonna make too much a difference. I have only caught senko bass on the drop when fished weightless.

Youre a mad man Ray, isn't this youre third day of slayage?

3rd week in a row but i typically do pretty good on the lagoon. It's rare for me to skunk out and a typical trip on the goon produces at least 3 to 5 fish. These nights have been doing well since i fished 3/4 waxing moon phase when this cold front was just barely making it's appearance, then in full moon phase with the weather still cooling and the barometric pressure dropping dramatically. Then this week was during the 3/4 waining moon phase. with the moon showing early and bright. The 3/4 phases seem to produce well and when you tie that in with the barometric pressure dropping and the cold front moving in, and then the water temps are still stable even tho the outside temp is dropping so this has made my bass fishing exceptional. the goon bass are so damn easy to read they are text book moon phase and weather pattern fishing. It's just timing it right and having the conditions prevail to bring out the feeding frenzy. Oh and to boot having the shad bloom (even tho they are only silverside that's i can see) helps keep the bass up close to shore.

well that and im a rock star hahahahahah j/k