PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Day on Jig Strike - 10/8

greg
10-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Just got in from a 1.5 day trip on the Jig Strike. Only 16 passengers. :Cool: Left on Wednesady night. Picked up small 'dines. Started fishing at graylight with the troll, just above the lower 500. Trolled south and hit the temperature break (67 going to 72 degrees). :Shocked: We had a few fish on the troll. The paddies were either dry or hiding baby yellowtail. You will note our count having limits of yellowtail but they were all 4-7 pounders. :Embarrassed: We picked up 4 skippies on the troll and slide. We managed to pick up 25 tuna from 12 to 25 pounds. :Big Grin: I got 4 but none of any size. I was fishing with spectra to 30 pound fluorocarbon leader with a size 2 hook. Most of the other passangers was fishing with 20. No wind in the morning but it picked up, forming whitecaps everywhere. :Confused: As usual, I got nauseated with the return trip and skipped dinner. :ROFL:

We got in just after 4 am. That means we lost 2 hours of fishing to drive back early. :Angry:

deanhall32
10-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Sounds like the trip last weekend I took on the Jig Strike. We got in at 4:30 AM because they had a 3/4 day charter at 6AM so we lost 3 hours fishing. Also, did the crew tell you you had to "tag and bag" your own fish? Maybe not so because the fishing sounded like it slowed down.

Are you the guy that got a raincheck because the previous trip was cancelled due to wind after they were out 50 miles?

sansou
10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Good straighforward report Greg! Now if we could only get you to post pics! ha ha!!

You gotta love late season fishing....less donkeys, and yet the fish are still around!

Big Kahuna
10-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Greg:
Thanks for your report and phone call. I heard that most of the yellowtail that the boats are reporting are micro sized (2-5 lbs). The boats/skippers who keep these tiny yellows should be embarrassed. It sounds like the YFT bite is starting to peter out. Great job on catching 4 out of the 25 YFT. You had the hot stick!
Big Kahuna

JapanRon
10-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi greg,

I know you're a real angler so I don't suspect you but .... people ... they're not anglers .... that keep 2, 3, and 4 pound Yellowtail are a disgrace to the recreattion/sport .... no better than the bucket brigade haunting the piers sniping short halibut and anything else that swims, crawls and probably flies .... if nobody notices.

Been hearing about the despirate donkeys keeping super short fish recently !! And I ain't talking about the boat crews either. Totally disgusting !!

I'd display my stripe proudly in lieu of sneaking off the boat with these sub-par firecrackers.

Agian .... I know you're not one of the above. Musta been tough associating with that lot !!

JapanRon

greg
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Sounds like the trip last weekend I took on the Jig Strike. We got in at 4:30 AM because they had a 3/4 day charter at 6AM so we lost 3 hours fishing. Also, did the crew tell you you had to "tag and bag" your own fish? Maybe not so because the fishing sounded like it slowed down.

Are you the guy that got a raincheck because the previous trip was cancelled due to wind after they were out 50 miles?

The captain and crew did tell us to "tag" our own fish and throw them into the kill box. On those few kelp where we got into the tuna, we wasted time tagging our fish so the school had no interest in hanging around.

No, that was not me but a few of those dudes were on my trip.

Hi greg,

I know you're a real angler so I don't suspect you but .... people ... they're not anglers .... that keep 2, 3, and 4 pound Yellowtail are a disgrace to the recreattion/sport .... no better than the bucket brigade haunting the piers sniping short halibut and anything else that swims, crawls and probably flies .... if nobody notices.

Been hearing about the despirate donkeys keeping super short fish recently !! And I ain't talking about the boat crews either. Totally disgusting !!

I'd display my stripe proudly in lieu of sneaking off the boat with these sub-par firecrackers.

Agian .... I know you're not one of the above. Musta been tough associating with that lot !!

JapanRon

You're correct - I didn't keep any of those dinks. I tried to shake them off the hook. When the captain saw me do this he told me to keep those fish since others would want them (a few of the passengers asked me to keep them and tag them with their tag but I didn't). After that, any bites with those babies, I would rack my rod and wait for the next kelp. I know the captain was not happy about losing my rod on a bite...

TONTO6190
10-10-2009, 12:06 AM
I have been wondering about that boat. Thanks for the report.

Jig-Guy
10-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Jig Strike, Just got removed it from my go to boat list. All the dink YT that they are removing is stupid. The boats fish count is more important than common sense. What a waste of such a cool resource. I am glad the folks could not catch their own shorts:Angry:.

I like what JapanRon said and agree!

TL

Jig-Guy