PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Need Suggestions

sh1bby69
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
My buddy and I bought a new boat to replace our 69 Glastron. We wanted something that was a bit bigger with a V-Hual to help cut through the waves. We were able to pic this up:
http://images.craigslist.org/3nf3pe3l05T25Qf5Pb99qdf6175bc7f9a15a7.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3k73ma3pd5O85T05R299q05c33b8d483316dc.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3p53ob3l25Ob5Pf5S399q4bc7de14d64612f4.jpg

It is 20ft long with a nice deep v-hual and has a I/O engine. Mechanic checked it out and everything was good. The engine itself was good. Compression is off but off all around. Very strong and fast motor to it. We also have a engine that will go into neutral and also in reverse. We got it for a good price and it came with the trailer.

I need tips on how to get the boat back on the trailer or how to do it correctly. We were able to get the boat back onto the trailer I just don't want to sit on the launch ramp and taking up space. Luckily Dana Point launch ramps aren't too busy. What we did is have the trailer half submerged maybe a little bit more and use the boats engine to muscle it onto the trailer. Is that the correct way to do it? This thing is much bigger that the Glastron we had. We would just pull the Glastron by hand onto the trailer because we had no reverse or neutral to use the engine. Most of the time the trailer was fully submerge. Please help. Thanks!!

Also if you can help with like lingo. I notice that there is talk about "flats" and the "dome" when people head out on their boats from Dana Point. Can you fill me in on the common lingo regarding locations and stuff. I believe those are nick name for locations outside the harbor.

GeordyBass
10-08-2009, 02:14 PM
What do you mean no reverse or neutral? I thought all inboards were capable of at least reverse??? Is there something wrong with the outdrive? Al;so what do you mean by compression was off, but off all around??? Are they even and is compression high??? And I do see some patches on the hull. It is pretty much a project eh?

I'm confused,,,lol,,,

Also, Always submerge trailer completely, never just half submerge it, you can stress the hull too much....Again always submerge trailer enough that the boat will trailer on easy.

sh1bby69
10-08-2009, 03:15 PM
What do you mean no reverse or neutral? I thought all inboards were capable of at least reverse??? Is there something wrong with the outdrive? Al;so what do you mean by compression was off, but off all around??? Are they even and is compression high??? And I do see some patches on the hull. It is pretty much a project eh?

I'm confused,,,lol,,,

Also, Always submerge trailer completely, never just half submerge it, you can stress the hull too much....Again always submerge trailer enough that the boat will trailer on easy.

Sorry i made it confusing. The boat without the neutral or reverse was the glastron with an outboard that I previously had which this one is replacing. As for the compression the mechanic said the compression is a little lower than what is suppose to be but even all around. I don't really see it as a project boat cause it's good to go. It's really sturdy and solid.

GeordyBass
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Sorry i made it confusing. The boat without the neutral or reverse was the glastron with an outboard that I previously had which this one is replacing. As for the compression the mechanic said the compression is a little lower than what is suppose to be but even all around. I don't really see it as a project boat cause it's good to go. It's really sturdy and solid.
It's fine, when i'm excited about something I also do that hahahaha,,,

But yeah, always keep the trailer almost fully submerged and easy enough for the boat just to trailer on,,,

:Cool: