PDA

View Full Version : Question:Deep ocean fishing equipment ?

AAKK
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Hello everyone,i have been doing lakes fishing for the past 2 years but never had a chance to go out to the ocean but time to change,i am going to go ocean fishing in Long Beach on this Sarturday.Yeah.But because this is a very first time a go ocean fishing,so what should i bring with me ? How should i set up my fishing rod (sinker,hook...) because i think it is very different with lake fishing.Any advice will be much appreciated.Thank you in advance.

Troutman65
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Welcome to FNN. Are you going fishing on the ocean in a boat ? Are you fishing the ocean from shore ( Surf fishing ) ?

AAKK
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Troutman for your quick respond.I will be fishing from a boat and totally don't know what to do.The guy who took my reservation said that there will be a guy in a boat to help you but i wonder that we will waste a lot of time just to set up a right rod (i have to do that for my girlfriend's rod too ^_^)...

Troutman65
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Do you own ocean fishing rods and reels ?

victor101
10-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks Troutman for your quick respond.I will be fishing from a boat and totally don't know what to do.The guy who took my reservation said that there will be a guy in a boat to help you but i wonder that we will waste a lot of time just to set up a right rod (i have to do that for my girlfriend's rod too ^_^)...

If you dont have any saltwater gear, I would suggest renting your first time or two to make sure you are going to like it before you invest money. The deckhands will rig you up. What boat are you going on? 1/2 day? 3/4 day?

Troutman65
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
If you dont have any saltwater gear, I would suggest renting your first time or two to make sure you are going to like it before you invest money. The deckhands will rig you up. What boat are you going on? 1/2 day? 3/4 day?

That was going to be my next suggestion Victor :Big Grin::Wink:

AAKK
10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I have a nice Shakespeare rod and reel combo one and i paid 80 bucks for that .i was told that it is good enough for both lake fishing and ocean fishing (it is a conventional-spinning rod).My girl friend has a very cute pink rod with led light on it hahaha)...

AAKK
10-08-2009, 11:41 AM
It is a half day trip.Thanks for your advice so far

victor101
10-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I have a nice Shakespeare rod and reel combo one and i paid 80 bucks for that .i was told that it is good enough for both lake fishing and ocean fishing (it is a conventional-spinning rod).My girl friend has a very cute pink rod with led light on it hahaha)...

OK...well here are a list of things you should have in your tackle box

Hooks: size 4, 2, 1, 1/0, 2/0 hooks

torpedo sinkers: 2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz

egg sinkers: 1/4oz, 1/2oz

lures: It is up to you if you want to bring some lures. Swimbaits like big hammers or other plastics like Whams are good to have. You can also use metal jigs and krocs. Lures are optional tho. You can get by without them.

That should cover you for up to a full day fishing trip. How you rig it up will vary depending on what the captain wants to fish for. Like I said, the deckhands will help you out if you ask them. It doesnt take long for them to rig you up. They do it every day.

Troutman65
10-08-2009, 11:49 AM

There is either conventional reels or spinning reels.

Conventioal reels are harder to cast till you get use to them.

Spinning is ok Some like some do not.

What pound line test is on your set up you have ?

AAKK
10-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Thank you everybody.Now i am confident to take my girl and my pal to go fishing with me.

Ricky-Ray
10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
If it's your first time going out I would keep it simple. Get some torpedo sinkers from 2-8oz, a couple of sliding egg sinkers in 14 and 1/2oz, some hooks in size 1, 1/0 and 2/0.

Depending on which landing your leaving from in Long Beach you could be fishing the Horseshoe Kelp where you could flyline your bait's if the bass are biting on the surface or maybe if the bonito are around. If now you can rig for a dropper loop and send your bait's to the bottom and see if there are any bass, sheepshead, and rockfish around.

If your not fishing there then you could be fishing some structure or head out to somewhere around the oil rigs and fish for rockfish out there too.

I would probably spool with at least 20# line. Good luck and post a report and pics when you get back.

AAKK
10-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Absolutely I will.Thank you.Check out my report later on Sarturday.