PDA

View Full Version : Can i still get mackrel this time of the year?

whate
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I haven't fished at the piers for sometimes and wonder if i can fish for some good size mackerel at this time of the year.
What pier is the best place to fish for some right now?

Thanks.

laznbboi
10-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Redondo pier the best place to fish mackeral.

Poxy Boggards
10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Try Newport Pier or Balboa, there probably still some MAC around, but they are usually on the small side.

whate
10-08-2009, 11:25 AM
laznbboi & Poxy Boggards, thanks for your quick response. What time would be the best to fish for them?

Redondo pier the best place to fish mackeral.

Try Newport Pier or Balboa, there probably still some MAC around, but they are usually on the small side.

boxl0bster
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
i would suggest you go at night. i've done better at night. good luck out there.

whate
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
thanks boxl0bster. Where do you fish,and what's best bait/rig?

i would suggest you go at night. i've done better at night. good luck out there.

dfisher
10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Goto Redondo evening to late late night.. They are small not the regular size they used to be.

Easiest rig is tie a glow stick and leave about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of leader and a hook. Or you can use a sabiki but I am not a big fan of that.

Bait, small pieces of squid.

whate
10-08-2009, 03:15 PM
I remember seeing some ppl using the light stick but didn't ask why. That's why,ha. Thanks dfisher.

Goto Redondo evening to late late night.. They are small not the regular size they used to be.

Easiest rig is tie a glow stick and leave about 1 1/2 to 2 feet of leader and a hook. Or you can use a sabiki but I am not a big fan of that.

Bait, small pieces of squid.

Poxy Boggards
10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
You can catch them all day long. They come in waves. I usually use a sabiki rig, but you can use a single hook rig and do just as well. Use a light weight as they are usually just below the surface.

My tipical move is to cast out (Underhand) with the sabiki and a 1/2 bell sinker. When the line hits the water close the bail, and wait for a bite. Retrieve slowly. I have neve had much luck jigging them in.

If you get a sabiki, go for a good quality one. You need nice sharp hooks.

The Glow Stick set up works well at night. Good luck.

dfisher
10-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I remember seeing some ppl using the light stick but didn't ask why. That's why,ha. Thanks dfisher.

Yeah it is the best bobber setup ever for macs since they run shallow. You dont even have to hold your line for bites, just watch the glowstick movement (night time fishing of course)...

The fun part is teasing the seals when you bring the mac in. haha

whate
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
My tipical move is to cast out (Underhand) with the sabiki and a 1/2 bell sinker. When the line hits the water close the bail, and wait for a bite. Retrieve slowly. I have neve had much luck jigging them in.

thanks for the tip Poxy Boggards. I have a buch of sabiki of different colors and sizes. I'm going to try them out.

Just want to confirm this piece:

When the line hits the water close the bail,

Do you actually close the bail as soon as the weight hits the water?

And one last question, is there free parking within walking distance to redondo pier?

Thanks everyone for your input.

shovelnose
10-08-2009, 08:11 PM
i think there is a free parking is in front of the church(if you are driving on Torrance you may see it :Wink: )right now the parking fee is $5 bucks for a full day n' regarding about the bail you wanna wait like half way in the water to close it.
good luck

whate
10-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks shovelnose. What is the reason for closing the bail before the weight hits the bottom? I'm trying to guess but nothing seems to stick.

i think there is a free parking is in front of the church(if you are driving on Torrance you may see it :Wink: )right now the parking fee is $5 bucks for a full day n' regarding about the bail you wanna wait like half way in the water to close it.
good luck

dfisher
10-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Hey whate,

Depending what time you go you can get parking for free or pay a meter. Normally the time I fish the pier is around 12am and I come down torrance blvd and when I hit the pier I wrap around and that circle driveway then enter the "meter zone". Hard to explain but picture a horse shoe under the garage parking, it will be on your left. Facing the beach from entering the garage structure it will be on your left.

boxl0bster
10-09-2009, 12:22 AM
i use the glowstick method. hands down the best method for me. bad thing about sabiki's is when you get one they flop like crazy and tangle you into a whole heap of @!*%! then you spend the next 30 minutes fixing it. :Razz:
use a 6inch glowstick and tie it to your main line leaving about a 1-2ft tag end. depending on how deep/shallow theyre feeding change accordingly. or you can just pinch a splitshot on close to the glowstick to get it down a little deeper. if you can keep the bait about 2-4 feet under the surface you should be good. they'll swim with the bait for a few seconds so wait a bit before you set the hook.

smokehound
10-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Mackerel appearances are based on the availability of baitfish in the area, and can be caught year-round.

I was at newport pier today loading up on bait, and they were all over the place.

In winter they do usually tend to be smaller.