View Full Version : their going to close your fishing area

vinlandviking
10-07-2009, 10:35 AM
every one needs to show up in force at the brtf meeting oct 21st in long beach

Wednesday Oct. 21st, 2009
Hilton Long Beach & Executive Meeting Center
701 West Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90831
Public Comment Times: 1:30PM and 7PM. We need you at BOTH times if possible. SHOW UP AT LEAST 30 minutes early to cede time or to sign up to speak.

Oct. 21st is the last BRTF meeting and the most critical one of your fishing career. What you do on Oct. 21st will determine where you can fish (and for some--whether you can fish) for the rest of your life.

Watermen's Alliance will feed you pizza and drinks. We coordinated black shirts and tags (tag furnished at the event). All we need is your support.

You need to show up to speak, and even if you don't speak, we need people to support and cede time to those who speak. Keep in mind that the fishermen were outnumbered 10:1 at the July 28, 2009 BRTF meeting (a day known as Bloody Tuesday). If the majority of the attendees again say "We need to close as much of the ocean as possible" and "Fishermen are the problem", you bet the BRTF will be paying attention and the maps will reflect accordingly.

We will be sending around speaking points and guidelines and answer questions.

By Oct. 22nd, some of you may be looking at the Salton Sea as your only remaining fishing option.

Please show up on Oct. 21st, 2009, but more importantly, please bring your wife, parents, children to show them the faces of the communities they will be hurting if they shut down areas where people make their livelihood and recreate.

SHAD MAN 09
10-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Team 57 should post this on every forum. If theycan get an irvine lake party crarckin im sure they can get some peeps to go out and support this.:Angry: If they want clean beaches they should enforce litter laws harsher and leave the fishing spots alone. Besides the water isnt messed up because my ghost shrimp fell off the hook get a real reason to close it damn bunny huggers.:Twisted::ROFL:

vinlandviking
10-07-2009, 11:59 AM
this is no bullshit, i have been to many of these meeting and the eviros has out matched us many times.WE NEED EVERY ONE TO GO AND ATLEAST STICK UP FOR MAP2 WHICH SUXS THE LEAST.mybe your spot will not get closed.but the people whos fishing spot does will be going to yours cause its not closed.

Cangler
10-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Good luck ...

But the MPA's around the Channel Islands have improved the quality
of the fishing and which ever side you are on , there is no arguing
with that.

smokehound
10-07-2009, 01:44 PM
really? Are you sure? There's no chance that anglers are being responsible?

that's what pisses me off. I see huge numbers of responsible anglers everywhere.

Anglers do FAR more for the environment than any of these tree-fondling-moonbats.

Without us, there wouldnt be stocking programs for white seabass, yellowtail, and california halibut. (yes, they DO plan to stock halis and yellowtail in the future, its just not in full throttle yet)

The only hope for a healthy fishery is slot-limits, education, stocking, and seasonal closures. And deportation. (LOL jk)

The MLPA is nothing more than a political agenda, IMO.

Poxy Boggards
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Does anyone have a copy of the maps for areas that the MLPA is considering closing? I'd like to see what everyone is up in arms about. I've heard that Laguna will be hit hard, but what about areas north of Laguna? What off shores and island ares will be closed? Thanks for educating someone who knows little to nothing about the subject.

sansou
10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
DFG website has quite a bit about the MLPA process and proposed maps.

exfactor
10-07-2009, 04:18 PM
We did the same thing 10 years ago when the MLPA's were being indoctrinated. The 5 member panel had only three members present, and they still blew us out of the water, acting like we were invisible. Watch for a surprise appointment, or someone prejudiced to be involved in the vote. Fairness is not part of this process.

Frenchy
10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
heck no they are not i wil fitght to the death

or guess we will have to ninja the ocean now too

jerryG
10-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Good luck ...

But the MPA's around the Channel Islands have improved the quality
of the fishing and which ever side you are on , there is no arguing
with that.

I have been fishing the channel Islands for over 20 years and I don't see how the MLPA has improved the quality of the fishing at the Channel Islands one bit. I do believe the seasonal rockfish closures have helped improve the quality of the rock fish however the closures have done nothing but limit the areas Anglers can fish at the Channel islands.

The biologist assigned to researching the MPAs around the Channel Islands which were closed 7 years ago stated at an MPLA meeting that he has not seen a significant increase in the number or the size of the fish in the closed areas. He did however report that spiny lobsters increased in both numbers and size.

There is only one peer-reviewed scientific study produced by the MLPA science team: This study by Dr. Ray Hilborn shows that California’s fisheries are the second least exploited in the World, behind new Zealand. California and New Zealand are the only two that have substantially healthy fish stocks. The study recognizes that the fish stocks are recovering beautifully on their own through well managed size and count limits, and MPA’s are expensive, unproductive and unnecessary. Research has indicates that California fisheries are among the healthiest in the world. The claims made by environmental extremists about the crisis facing the fisheries in California is nothing more than propaganda aimed at brain washing the public. There is no research or science which supports the MPLA. Don't take my word for it check out the link below to see the facts for yourself.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/08/01/18613625.php?show_comments=1

In Northern Cal where closures are already in place they are finding that closing the most productive areas to fishing has left Anglers with far fewer places to fish and adds a tremendous amount pressure to the areas left open. This leads to the destruction of these areas due to all the additional fishing pressure there is no load balance. Closures are a very poor method of fishery management.

Research supports maintaining closed seasons during spawn for fish such as rockfish and creating slot limits for other types of fish such as calico and sand bass in addition to reducing bag limits as a much more effective method of sustaining fisheries. Check the link above.

JerryG