PDA

View Full Version : Hoopin from a kayak?

YakN'Surf
10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone have any experience hoop netting from a kayak? I have been wanting to try it for a couple years now but i cant seem to find anyone with the balls to go out at night. Im considering going out alone, is it pretty calm out there at night? Also, if theres anybody else in my situation maybe we can team up. I live in between channel islands and marina del rey so i was thinking of starting at one of those places.

kwest10
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
done all the time. Conditions are as mother nature permits. Not really a good idea to go out alone at night but I have but usually stick to the harbor mouth. You're a bit far for me but if you're willing to come to OC...thats where I do most my hoopin. Long beach and MDR are the furthest north I've gone.

gridjockey
10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
you should have some kind of running light for safety maybe and a horn.

Hometown
10-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I went out 3 times last year same problem no one else wanted togo so off I went tayed inside LA harbour as my yak is small make sure to bring a helmet light and a flashlight I also have a port and starboard bow light i just need a good horn.I caught 1 bug on two of the trips both nice at 4 or 5 lbs the other 0. It does get a little spooky out there at night espeacialy if a sea lion sneaks up.

YakN'Surf
10-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I went out 3 times last year same problem no one else wanted togo so off I went tayed inside LA harbour as my yak is small make sure to bring a helmet light and a flashlight I also have a port and starboard bow light i just need a good horn.I caught 1 bug on two of the trips both nice at 4 or 5 lbs the other 0. It does get a little spooky out there at night espeacialy if a sea lion sneaks up.

Haha, forgot about seals. Those damn things scare the crap out of me even in the day. They have no fear in surfacing right next to your yak. I guess the first step is rigging up some lights though, and a horn sounds like a great idea.

Bowlfrogg
10-05-2009, 11:30 PM
I also do it in newport, if you ever need someone to go with hit me up. I went out last night in my yak. id love to show ya the ropes.

kwest10
10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I also do it in newport, if you ever need someone to go with hit me up. I went out last night in my yak. id love to show ya the ropes.

do you hoop inside the harbor or go out the the pier or go left to CDM?

Bowlfrogg
10-06-2009, 12:44 PM
your not allowed to do the inside of the harbor. I do both sides of the jetty, I love to fish the kelp on my yak in the CDM side.

kwest10
10-06-2009, 04:28 PM
your not allowed to do the inside of the harbor. I do both sides of the jetty, I love to fish the kelp on my yak in the CDM side.

that takes some serious gonads to hoop the big swells at the wedge at NIGHT!

Hometown
10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
you can buy a red and green licht that is battery operated with a suction cup mount at most kmarts or wallmarts easy to use works great 10 or 15 bucks and dont forget a helmet light good luck :HOMETOWN: