PDA

View Full Version : Nov. 11-15 Mammoth trip

jmurillo74
10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
What's up guys, headed up for the last weekend of the season this year, this summer has been busy. Usually I head up after Labor Day in September or October, but I've never been up this late before, I like the fact that the crowds are gone and the colder temps. Anyway what can I expect for the final weekend? Any heavy snow in November? Fewer DFG plants? Thanks guys.

Liteweight
10-05-2009, 11:05 PM
What's up guys, headed up for the last weekend of the season this year, this summer has been busy. Usually I head up after Labor Day in September or October, but I've never been up this late before, I like the fact that the crowds are gone and the colder temps. Anyway what can I expect for the final weekend? Any heavy snow in November? Fewer DFG plants? Thanks guys.

It's really nice without the crowds this time of year. This is my favorite time of the year, you can't beat the scenery.
DFG will normally 'dump' some of their brood stock at this time of the year also. The regular stocking is limited due to the lower demand at this time of year, budget cuts and low mortality for holdovers, but there still are fish to be caught.
The weather every year can be problematic at best. Even when the end of the season was in October, it could be different every year. A couple of years ago, my partner and I were fishing "The Ranch" (Hot Creek) in the middle of a snow storm. He's up there now and got snowed on yesterday (Sunday). I'm leaving in the morning to meet him on "The Ranch" for the rest of the week. Looks like the weather has run through the area and will be warming (if you call low 20's at night and low 60's during the day) for the next week.
LW

jmurillo74
10-06-2009, 09:10 AM
I have fished in the snow before in September and October, but it's usually a light dusting of snow, just wondering how much snow the Mammoth area can get in November. My neighbor is up in Lee Vining right now working at the Edison plant, and told his girlfriend it snowed on Sunday.

jim532
10-06-2009, 11:17 AM
You can expect a decent amount of snow up there, being that the ski resort opens November 12 and there is snow up there already. I've been up in the area and snowed on in June at 10,000 foot level.

fng
10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Be aware that they can close the roads up to the Mammoth Lakes Basin at any time for the season, if there's enough snow on the ground. I think the rule is 6" of snow & they put the gates down. Some years this happens before the fishing season is over. You can still get to Twin by car but anything higher takes a long uphill walk when the gates are closed.

dockboy
10-08-2009, 06:01 PM
November in the Mammoth area is a crap shoot on weather dude. You might get a foot of snow or you might have 65 degree sunny days. What will you most likely get? Wind, cold wind. Dress warm and prepare yourself. But don't let that stop you. Two years ago I arrived to the Upper Owens after a midnight snow storm in Mammoth.....to 3 inches of snow on the ground.
And I had a 50 fish+ day. When the weather snaps like it does this time of year, the fish go on a tear. Best of luck and more importantly, have fun!