PDA

View Full Version : Santa Barbara flatty (10/4)

whate
10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
After studying the reports, from tips by members of the forum, and with the help of google earth, i picked a spot in Santa Barbara to fish for halibut.

Got there around 5:30 am, and it took about 10 minutes to walk to the intended spot. The temp was around 16 C degree and the surf was semi-calm.

Instead of starting out with the LC, for some reason, I decided to rig the traditional halibut -with the dropper loop for weight and leaving 15'' for leader. I completed the rig with a 4'' straight worm (pumpkin seed color) and 1 oz weight.

Casted out about 20~30 yrds. While retrieving i felt some weight on the other end; and instead of setting the hook i cranked like there's no tomorrow. Instantly i knew it was a good size fish. My Clarus bent, and Sedona's drag's screaming as the fish surfaced. I adjusted the drag and pull her closer; and there in my front of eyes a big (at least to me) fatty. My heart started pumping fast in fear that i could lose the fish.

It took me about 5 minutes to land the halibut. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, i didn't know the exact size of the fish 'cause i wasn't prepare for this. A nice lady jogging by agreed to take the pic of me with my 1st flatty.

I gently put the fish back on the water and watch her disappearing into the surf.

btw, LC, Kroc, BM didn't work; tried them all.

The count:
1-halibut
1-shovel nose
2-medium BSP.

All fishes were released.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ZhYGIzx1e3I/SsjT2rovw0I/AAAAAAAAACA/kq4g4tQnXSM/s512/santabarbara_halibut_02.10.09.jpeg.jpg

bsp
10-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Congrats on your first surf halibut, and thinking a little outside the box to get one! There will be more, and eventually your first legal. Remember to bring your tape next time for the length shot! SB has a lot of nice fish, so you are definitely on the right track. Try Zoom Flukes instead of the worm next time, and don't forget the scent. :Wink:

One piece of advice though is to hold them by the tail instead of putting your fingers in the gill plate. It's better for the fish since there's no chance of damaging the gills.

Also, what gear are you using (line/reel/rod)? You want to be prepared to land the legal when it comes by, and it sounds like you might be a little under gunned.

Jaysuuun
10-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Congrats on the butt! SB looks like a really nice place to fish, but it's soo far. :Neutral:

whate
10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Bsp, thanks for the tips. I read about ways to handle halibut somewhere in this forum but totally forgot about it - was too excited.

I used my dropshot setup:
6'6 clarus, fast, sedona 2500, and 8# flouro (seaguar 130).

Congrats on your first surf halibut, and thinking a little outside the box to get one! There will be more, and eventually your first legal. Remember to bring your tape next time for the length shot! SB has a lot of nice fish, so you are definitely on the right track. Try Zoom Flukes instead of the worm next time, and don't forget the scent. :Wink:

One piece of advice though is to hold them by the tail instead of putting your fingers in the gill plate. It's better for the fish since there's no chance of damaging the gills.

Also, what gear are you using (line/reel/rod)? You want to be prepared to land the legal when it comes by, and it sounds like you might be a little under gunned.

whate
10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah it was far. But i was determined to get my hands on a flatty. And i did it:LOL:

Congrats on the butt! SB looks like a really nice place to fish, but it's soo far. :Neutral:

bsp
10-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I used my dropshot setup:
6'6 clarus, fast, sedona 2500, and 8# flouro (seaguar 130).

I was excited when I nailed my first halibut too, so I understand. No worries man.

ighten your drag and muscle the shorts in! 8lb Seaguar is strong stuff, so that guy should have been landed in like 2min max. You don't want to fight halibut on your dropshot rig for too long since their teeth will usually be rubbing all over the line, and that really can weaken your line. The tighter drag will help reduce that, and give you a more solid hook set too. They also are really good at shaking the hook, so you want to minimize landing time for that reason as well.

Troutman65
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Nice going young Jeti Surf Warrior.:Cool::Envious:

fishshep
10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Good determination!!!
Good to see it paid off@SB:Big Grin:

Wingnut
10-05-2009, 04:54 PM
You asked the right questions...
You bought the right gear...
You took the time to find a spot...
You had the patience to see what works...

Success! See how easy that was... :Wink:

Treat those Flatties that you're going to release nicely, they will come back to you when they're legal. :Cool:

Now go out and do it again.

whate
10-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Thanks Bsp. I'll keep these tips in mind.

I was excited when I nailed my first halibut too, so I understand. No worries man.

ighten your drag and muscle the shorts in! 8lb Seaguar is strong stuff, so that guy should have been landed in like 2min max. You don't want to fight halibut on your dropshot rig for too long since their teeth will usually be rubbing all over the line, and that really can weaken your line. The tighter drag will help reduce that, and give you a more solid hook set too. They also are really good at shaking the hook, so you want to minimize landing time for that reason as well.

whate
10-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Arthur, Troutman65, fishshep - thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I hope this wont be the last time i hook a flatty :Big Grin: