PDA

View Full Version : Lake Skinner Classic Bass 10-3-09

kenmac33
10-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Lake Skinner Fishing Report 10-3-2009
So I got up early and decided to hit up old lake skinner today for a few hours of fishing. I've been fishing both Lake Perris and Lake Skinner quite a bit lately and today was definitely one of the better days. Don't get me wrong, they have both been pretty good lately and it's nice to have both these lakes (which are so different from each other) so close to home. If I had to pick a favorite of the two, today it probably would be Lake Skinner. Flipping the reeds & tules has got to be my favorite technique by far. It blows me away how many BIG fish live in those reeds.

I've never fished for striper before or should I say, targeted striper specifically. so, I really have only the most basic knowledge (if that..:)) in what's needed to catch them. it's always been the green ones i'm looking for but lately it's been pretty tough to resist especially when there boiling all over the lake and around the boat. So I had a little special rig tied on just incase they came up and sure enough they did!
First stop, little patch of tules on the bank. I stopped the boat and pitched the worm to the bank and next thing you know, the stripers were boiling all around, worm rod put away and out comes the striper rig, into the boil I fire it!....FISH ON!! The excitement was TOO MUCH!.... I swung and ripped the bait out of his mouth. not long after another boil!....Fire It!..I'm ON!...Reel Down....This time He's HOOKED! after a bit of a battle and into the boat he comes and by my humble estimate, a Solid Five (5) lbr!! This is pretty cool, I say to myself.... and within the next half hour I hooked 4 more and lost 2. Well, We will definitely be doing that again Very soon..

On to the Green Bass I go... straight to the bank I go. well i'll keep this part short. I managed to nail 2 small ones, barely keepers, until THIS ONE ATE THE BAIT! This is a classic skinner "tule" bass. This thing ate the bait and made a bee-line straight into the "sticks"! after a couple of intense moments, into the boat it comes. after a short rest in the livewell, and a couple of quick pictures thanks to my new friend George, who I met on the lake today. The bass was released to swim another day. Great day out there! Ken

www.basstaxi.com/blog/ (http://www.basstaxi.com/blog/)

Panfish Junior
10-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Wooo, That's what I'm talking about! I haven't caught LMB that big yet. Hopefully, they give a chance one day. Congrats on your catch!

Dr. MindBendo
10-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I love Skinner. Solid fish from the tullies. Those LMB are no joke there. I have been broken off numerous times once they get in the tullies.

fishntime
10-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Great job out there Ken, I havent been able to fish lately. But, that story gets my heart pumping.

GdHkSet1
10-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Good going Kenmac33, thats a thich LMB. Ha your hooked on striper now!

Thisfool
10-04-2009, 02:47 PM
nice bass man wtg

kenmac33
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. also, I forgot to mention, all the fish were caught on the swimbait, the same one for both stripers and the lmb's That thing was TORE-UP after the last fish got a hold of it. I took my son out today in the afternoon but they shut the lake down early due to high winds. I'll be out there tomorrow early for an hr or 2. ken.

http://www.basstaxi.com/blog/

smokey25
10-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys for the comments. also, I forgot to mention, all the fish were caught on the swimbait, the same one for both stripers and the lmb's That thing was TORE-UP after the last fish got a hold of it. I took my son out today in the afternoon but they shut the lake down early due to high winds. I'll be out there tomorrow early for an hr or 2. ken.

http://www.basstaxi.com/blog/

what swimbait is that for stripers and lmb? i have the bbz but i hear that doesnt work on stripers.

bsp
10-10-2009, 03:50 PM
i have the bbz but i hear that doesnt work on stripers.

Stripers will eat that thing. Go try it out and see for yourself!