PDA

View Full Version : Limits of YFT and Dorado- 10/2 no pics

deanhall32
10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Went out on the Jig Strike out of H&M. Left Thursday night and got back Saturday morning at 5AM.

Went down south 100+ miles and fished in flat grease calm waters(finally)! Seems like everytime I went out this summer the wind decided to blow but not this time.

The fishing was really steady as every kelp was holding some tuna and tons of dorado. The dorado were so thick that it was hard to get a bait to the tuna.

We fished all day and ended up with limits of yellowfin and dorado. The size of the fish remain the same as they have the past few trips. Yellowfin were in the 8-12 lb range with jackpot going to a 16 lber. Dorado were the same.

Boat totals:

Limits dorado
Limits yft

My total:

8 yft
5 dorado
2 yellowtail

I should have paid attention to the red light that was blinking on my camera when I took pictures because when i just tried to load the pictures I got nothing!!!Sorry..

victor101
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
BS without pics!

J/K man... Glad you got to fish in calm seas for once...

castoff
10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
hi, I am getting on the Jig Strike tonight, any advice as to line, hook sizes and or hot colors of feathers or lures? were the fish mainly caught on paddys or jig stops? what was the bait ?

hbomb
10-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Man great job, that is sickness....:Cool:

deanhall32
10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
hi, I am getting on the Jig Strike tonight, any advice as to line, hook sizes and or hot colors of feathers or lures? were the fish mainly caught on paddys or jig stops? what was the bait ?

Good luck man. The fishing was not WFO but really steady all day. We had a few jig strikes but they were mostly skipjack. All of the yft were caught on kelp paddies as were the dorado and yellowtail.

I used mostly 20# and 25# with fluoro but later found it was not necessary. Bait was firecracker sardines with number 2 hooks. 2/0 would have been too big as the bait was too small. A few tuna were caught on the iron also.

RL-IN-OC
10-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Deanhall32,

We were one the same trip as you. Yes, fishing was great. Limits all around. I was using a #2 hook, with 40# flouro, and a 1/2 oz slider to make casting easier. They weren't very picky, as long as you matched the hook size to the small bait. I will try to upload some pics. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos of the jackpot YFT, or the Yellowtail.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/163711-h-m-jig-strike-1-5-day.html#post1504968

ghetto dad
10-03-2009, 06:37 PM
RL..you might wanna edit that link out man....

GD

deanhall32
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Man great job, that is sickness....:Cool:
I was reading the reports all week and then the wind came up and I said gosh darn!! But it was great weather and fishing...

Hi Deanhall32,

We were one the same trip as you. Yes, fishing was great. Limits all around. I was using a #2 hook, with 40# flouro, and a 1/2 oz slider to make casting easier. They weren't very picky, as long as you matched the hook size to the small bait. I will try to upload some pics. Unfortunately, I did not get any photos of the jackpot YFT, or the Yellowtail.

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/163711-h-m-jig-strike-1-5-day.html#post1504968
Glad I didn't lie on the report because you would have busted me..... Not sure who you were but I know you caught at least 10 fish.. Thanks for replying

Gee.. thanks for the nice reply!!!
GD

deanhall32
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM

GD

Thanks for the nice reply

JapanRon
10-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Hi deanhall32,

Camera malfunction !! Hope you didn't lose a chance to catch a fish with trying to take pictures.

WTG on the fishys .... and glad to hear the gods were kind in the weather and water.

Sounds like a well-deserved and productive trip. Do I need to ask that one .... little question?

JapanRon

deanhall32
10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi deanhall32,

Camera malfunction !! Hope you didn't lose a chance to catch a fish with trying to take pictures.

WTG on the fishys .... and glad to hear the gods were kind in the weather and water.

Sounds like a well-deserved and productive trip. Do I need to ask that one .... little question?

JapanRon

Haha,

One guy slid back a plastic and caught a yellowfin or dorado but other than that I didn't see any synthetic products fooling the fish....

sansou
10-03-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm with Victor101 on this one: no pics = never happened! :LOL:

Nice job Dean-O! You finally got some flat waters to fish this season!!!

Btw, haven't you already caught enough tuna this season!! Jeez...

murrieta angler
10-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey Dean, good job getting your freezer full for the winter..:Smile:
I wish I could get out but I busted my middle finger when I dropped a 220 lb. steel post on it last week....:Shocked:
I hope we will be able to get out together before the season is over.

Oz
10-04-2009, 11:25 AM
wtg dean-o again. u seem to be on the fish this year for sure. keep gettin them while there here.

Troutman65
10-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Nice going Dean. I am sure it was a sweet trip. ( Clam waters finally :LOL::Wink: )

Just wondering what a trip like this one cost ?

You could PM me the price if you prefer.

Thanks for the report.

deanhall32
10-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Nice going Dean. I am sure it was a sweet trip. ( Clam waters finally :LOL::Wink: )

Just wondering what a trip like this one cost ?

You could PM me the price if you prefer.

Thanks for the report.

Trip on the Jig Strike for the 1 1/2 day was:

$225 for the ticket ( meals included )
$15 Mexican permit
$5 Jackpot
$75 fish cleaning ( 15 fish @ $5 per fish )
$18 galley tab
$40 tip
-------------
$ 378 total

Odium
10-05-2009, 08:21 AM
damn dean! nice job out there!

castoff
10-05-2009, 10:17 AM
What a difference a day makes. got on Sat. night and woke up to a gale with the boat headed in after making it 50 miles out. H and M gave us rain checks. Will have to try again if the bite holds up after this weather. One heck of a rough ride.

deanhall32
10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
What a difference a day makes. got on Sat. night and woke up to a gale with the boat headed in after making it 50 miles out. H and M gave us rain checks. Will have to try again if the bite holds up after this weather. One heck of a rough ride.

Sorry to hear that. Wait until things calm down and redeem those rain checks. I have a feeling the yft will be around for another couple of weeks.