PDA

View Full Version : Fin n Feather crappie slabs

INDOANGLER2.1
10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
I haven't posted in a while and ususally don't post any FNF results but i couldn't resist sharing my PB crappie slay. This is the first year in while that the Fin allowed keeping of crappie bluegill and results speak for itselve. The lake is closing the fishing season this weekend and will be opened for the duck (feather) season until end January. I went out looking for LMB's but ran into my friend Jerkit Tony who was on a big crappie bite, so I joined him and soon it was on. For the next 2 hours we caught the biggest slabs that I ever experienced. The smallest was probably 3/4 lbs, we caught and released many but kept 2 limts of 5 that went a total of 17 lbs. The largest was a hefty 2.6 my PB crappie. Caught them all on the proven bait the 2 3/4" Jerkits with a small jighead. I've caught many trout, bass and stripers on the Jerkits but this is the first time for crappies. I filet them all and just made a batch and they are delicious.

I am having problems uploading pics, hope you can see them.

MAVERICK27
10-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Wow, nasty big slabs!!! Great job! That would be a fun bite to be on for sure!! Thanks for sharing

tpfishnfool
10-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Nice job out there!! I saw you guys slayin those slabs at the inlet Wed. You guys were on fire!!

sreykmao562
10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
now those are slabs for days :LOL::LOL: great job!!

diamondbear
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
VERY NICE JOB Guys , Big crappie are way fun to catch and good eating . This was the fish I learned to fish on YEARS ago and haven't caught one in 25 years . thanks for sharing .

dockboy
10-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Yup yup. The slabs will stack up at the inlet to feed on the pond smelt that stack up on the current. I got a nice one a while back cranking. Luckily, for the res tof the season, the crappie are out of reach for many anglers, and the best part of the year is closed off, so hopefully the fishery will continue to grow :Smile:

Panfish Junior
10-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Way to go guys!

I haven't seen anyone caught those slabs that big in awhile. Congratulations!

Troutman65
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Nice Crappie . :Envious: :Cool: Thanks for posting up .

Mondo21
10-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Those are some fatties!!! Nice lookin pics and thanks for the report. Cindy:Big Grin:

BigBassFrank
10-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Indo,

Great looking Slabs, and Ooooh so tasty!!!

Thanks for sharing...

BBF

crappiemike
10-04-2009, 08:51 PM
thnx for the pics and report....

cm

INDOANGLER2.1
10-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Yup yup. The slabs will stack up at the inlet to feed on the pond smelt that stack up on the current. I got a nice one a while back cranking. Luckily, for the res tof the season, the crappie are out of reach for many anglers, and the best part of the year is closed off, so hopefully the fishery will continue to grow :Smile:

Hey Dockboy - Yes, in a way it's good thing the Fin is closed for the rest of the year. So the rest of these can grow and hopefully we'll have good spawn come spring time. If this was earlier in the year I may not have posted these pics.

Thanks guys for the comments.

dockboy
10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Yup. same with the bass regs. More people are keeping fish now, but the actual size of the fish has gone up in recent years, as most fisherman keep their 2 keeper size 2lb fish and allow mroe food for the remaining fish. In the last two years, Ive caught more 3-5lb fish then before. I also rarely post reports or pics of the Fin, and its not only because its inaccessible for most people. In any case...nice job on the slabs :Smile:

Str8t Slabaronies
10-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Nice Slabs!

Only 5 for a limit???

INDOANGLER2.1
10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Nice Slabs!

Only 5 for a limit???

Yes, up until about 3 years ago the sun fish population declined so they stocked a big load load of crappie, bluegill, redears and didn't allow anyone to keep them for 3 years. This is the first year they allowed a 5 fish limit, and from the looks of it, it paid of. There is a lot of bait fish this year so hopefully they'll multiply and will stay around for years to come.

JigStop
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I looked on DFG site and cannot find Finn and Feather Lake. Is this some kind of joke?

INDOANGLER2.1
10-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I looked on DFG site and cannot find Finn and Feather Lake. Is this some kind of joke?

Fin n Feather is actually called Lake Palmdale and is a membership only lake but a member is allowed to bring guests for $15 a head. It's heavily stocked during trout season but the lake has a lot of bass. cats and now sunfish. Its private thats why you don't see it on the DFG site.