PDA

View Full Version : In The Press-Telegram.. Get ready for fines.

Bowlfrogg
10-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Lobster hoop nets

Newly created devices are making hoop nets more efficient and allowing them to fish like traps, says the Fish and Game. These new nets consist of an added upper and lower metal loop.

Wardens in the field are reporting that when these new devicesare added to the net, they are in fact creating traps, which is against the recreational Fish and Game Code. Lobster report cards from last year show that the new nets are catching twice as many lobsters as the old nets.

Trapping is not permitted, and unless the wording is changed to permit recreational use of traps, the department is obliged to make sure lobster fishermen use legal hoop nets. A recommendation of wording has been sent to the commission for approval. Until then, it means that wardens can or will issue citations to the fishermen fishing with the new nets if that particular warden deems the net to be a trap.(Another can of worms opens!)

((( so in other words, they are going to be handing out tickets to those of us using The new and old eclipse style nets..))))

done-it-again
10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Wow!!!! It can be a costly season if guys who haft to buy new nets.

Invid01
10-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I dont know if they really can untill they change the verbage in the offical dfg sport manual and on the lobster card itself which states non-collapsable ridgid hoop nets are permitted.

I only have 3 rigid and 4 traditional, and as the rigids do catch more ( small ) i have goten my bigger bugs from the traditionals.

I will bet though that next year the rigids will be banned or count as 2 nets.

Bowlfrogg
10-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah I said the same thing.. So just be careful and let us know if anyone gets hassled.

Invid01
10-01-2009, 09:56 AM
I will. One of my neighbors is an attorney and the whole "lobster card" was the DFG's way for making us sportfishermen foot the bill for a memorandum on lobster methods in our waters. They printed and sold an addendum to the fishing liscence a permit that gives only 2 style devices that are approved and permitted in the taking of lobster.

If they change there minds on the legality of pre-existing nets mid season then the lobster cards we purchased were advertised and sold in fraud and consumer ( every late night net puller who was forced to buy yet another permit ) can return the product for a full refund.

If anyone gets hasseled or fined for using pre-approved hoop style nets DONT BE RUDE to the DFG, accept the ticket but take it to court, dont bend over. Let a judge look at the verbage and your net and existing approvals.

Bowlfrogg
10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Yeah, that is what my dad just said, That when he purchased his Lobster report card it states that he is allowed to use that Product by the DFG. so if we get a ticket then that is a form of Entrapment. any way.. Ill be using mine..

fisherman from long beach
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Yeah, that is what my dad just said, That when he purchased his Lobster report card it states that he is allowed to use that Product by the DFG. so if we get a ticket then that is a form of Entrapment. any way.. Ill be using mine..i also will be using mine.:Smile:just dont want to have to go to court,waste of time,imo:Neutral:

done-it-again
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Can you post a direct link on this? I cannot find anything on what you posted......thanks

done-it-again
10-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I was going to buy a couple of these pots before next weekend. But I think I will just hold off for now and keep using my traditional style ones.

Bowlfrogg
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
http://www.presstelegram.com/search/ci_13458542?IADID=Search-www.presstelegram.com-www.presstelegram.com

go to the bottom!

trlrtrsh67
10-01-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't see anything about fishing with a manufactured eclipse net as being illegal. I might be missing something, but aren't they refering to an "altered" net with additional rings added to it and not an eclipse which is still currently legal?

Bowlfrogg
10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
i did not know of any altered net! so I would not be able to answer that.

trlrtrsh67
10-01-2009, 06:56 PM
It may be the difference between how different people read this article but when they say...

.... These new nets consist of an added upper and lower metal loop.....
....Wardens in the field are reporting that when these new devicesare added to the net, they are in fact creating traps....

...I just read it as some sort of altered net and don't get anything out of it about a new or old Eclipse style net.

Re8elmonk0341
10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Maybe I'm missing something or I'm just slow but are we still able to use the Promar Eclipes net and Danielsons or not because That's All I have and I spent good money cutomizing it to that way I like and would hate to spend a few 100 dollars to get a whole new set of the traditional style nets. Does any one have picture of this new high speed nets that the DFG are talking about?

Dmax
10-02-2009, 03:23 AM
Maybe I'm missing something or I'm just slow but are we still able to use the Promar Eclipes net and Danielsons or not because That's All I have and I spent good money cutomizing it to that way I like and would hate to spend a few 100 dollars to get a whole new set of the traditional style nets. Does any one have picture of this new high speed nets that the DFG are talking about?

Ditto on any pics.

Dmax
10-02-2009, 03:27 AM
I have the Promar deluxe. Am I in the clear?

fisherman from long beach
10-02-2009, 08:14 AM
i went to a seminar last night at sav on tackle and the instructor believes these will be ok.he basicly said that 85%of people voted to keep these style hoops.and he said dfg most likely will keep them.he said there is a slight chance that they can ban theses style hoops.but it wont start this till next season.i also asked would we be able to use them for crab and he told me no.but besides that i enjoyed the seminar very usefull info.since i am a hoop net virgin.