PDA

View Full Version : When do the tuna stop biting?

pescado abajo
09-30-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to plan a tuna outing for a group of us tuna newbies, but the best date for us to get out would be the last weekend of october, the 27th. we're planning a full day on the great escape.
will that be too late?
if so we might just squash the trip altogether:Crying:

mickeysindahouse
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
When do the tuna stop biting? When the boat stops chumming!

As for the date you plan to head out, it's hard to say. Tuna fishing's a hit & miss. One day it's hot, the next it's NOT. The best way to plan is a day or two in advance. Check for weather fronts, sustained hot weather, etc.

Good luck if you make it out & hope you catch something.

ghetto dad
09-30-2009, 08:19 PM
When theyre full..... :ROFL:jk man...it depends....

GD

exfactor
09-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Doesn't work like that dude. Weather, especially the first winter storm, usually signals the beginning of the end. Because it cools the water down, and tuna like warm water. We are hoping that the season goes long up here by Morro Bay, but it is a mystery if the warm water will stay for any length of time. Watch the counts, listen to the weather, and go when everything fits together.

calico killer kevin
09-30-2009, 08:50 PM
They follow the warm water, so keep checking up. Keep in mind that they sunk out mid september last year, so this year's been pretty long. I would go NOW. Great counts out of all the SD Landings.

Simplyeman
09-30-2009, 08:51 PM
When theyre full..... :ROFL:jk man...it depends....

GD

ya beat me to it sir. :Twisted:

pescado abajo
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
thanks for the info, guys. our original plan was to head out this saturday, but the boat was already booked. every weekend after that everyone is busy, until the 24th. i guess we'll play it by ear. damn i want to catch my first tuna!!!!

calico killer kevin
09-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Your best bet BY FAR would be to go now. Anything 1.5 day and up is killing it. Overnighters aren't faring too well. Landings have a few boats heading out everyday. Check HM Landing, Seaforth, Point Loma, and Fisherman's Landing. Lots of good deals to be had for about $275 a trip.

LA Smoker
10-02-2009, 12:51 PM
when they're dead

Liteliner
10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
it might just be this weekend. Looks like a cold front coming thru... :Shocked:

Ricky-Ray
10-02-2009, 04:01 PM
If you think about it.....tuna season is never really over. Come winter time you can still catch them on 13-18 day trips.... :Envious:

Liteliner
10-02-2009, 04:13 PM
If you think about it.....tuna season is never really over. Come winter time you can still catch them on 13-18 day trips.... :Envious:

I cant even make it out on a 5 day trip mang.. Oh your reel was shipped yesterday fedex..

Remember to take lots of food pics and rockfish pics this time please.......:Sad: When you leaving anyways?

sansou
10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Tuna season will be officially over tomorrow at around 4pm, when we set course for Shelter Island. :LOL:

...just remember, last season we had reasonable YFT fishing up until late November. All you had to do was drive 200miles south of the border.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=25306

Ricky-Ray
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I cant even make it out on a 5 day trip mang.. Oh your reel was shipped yesterday fedex..

Remember to take lots of food pics and rockfish pics this time please.......:Sad: When you leaving anyways?

LOL... I got it today. My 5 day is at the end of the month. Don't worry Litelline....I'll take some whitefish pics for you this time. :ROFL::ROFL:

smokehound
10-02-2009, 08:54 PM
The good news is, a strong el nino is expected. This might keep that tuna bite alive for just a bit. =)

megafisher94
10-02-2009, 09:24 PM
could be tomorrow could be next month. check the water temps. and reports from the area you want to fish.