PDA

View Full Version : Taping your thumb for casting?

gavin310
09-30-2009, 05:58 PM
When I cast with this one Avet I have I really need to keep pressure on the spool to prevent backlashing, more than my other reels. (I think I may have messed up the drag a little bit, but it's not a big deal.) The problem is if I do a far cast, my thumb literally gets burnt. I didn't have anything on me at the time, so I tried putting a bandaid on my thumb, but it melted and got all over my line. Lots of fisherman use the blue tape, but I thought this was mainly just for guiding line back in. Will it also work for my situation, or is there plastic in it so it will melt like the bandaid?

sansou
09-30-2009, 06:03 PM
In the alternative, try learning to apply pressure to the side of the spool with your thumb rather than directly on the braid/mono.

No more thumb shredding after casting all day long.

calico killer kevin
09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
You could go the wrapping route or Sansou's. Both work. I personally prefer to scoop a handfull of water onto the spool and that prevents any burning thumbs. Personally though, I use a pretty slow cast with conventionals as to not whip the bait off the hook, so I don't touch the spool much until it comes in contact with the water.

ghetto dad
09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
You could go the wrapping route or Sansou's. Both work. I personally prefer to scoop a handfull of water onto the spool and that prevents any burning thumbs. Personally though, I use a pretty slow cast with conventionals as to not whip the bait off the hook, so I don't touch the spool much until it comes in contact with the water.

yeah....i second that...NEVER cast with dry line...ESPECIALLY if you can cast...huh Throwback Ranger!! lmao..him and I were firing Iron at Catalina..and both of us COOKED our thumbs...literally...hurt like hell the rest of the day....white cooked thumb meat...yum

GD

ghetto dad
09-30-2009, 07:10 PM
In the alternative, try learning to apply pressure to the side of the spool with your thumb rather than directly on the braid/mono.

No more thumb shredding after casting all day long.

that wont work with an Avet....line goes all the way up rich..you know that..lol

GD

vanillagurilla
09-30-2009, 07:24 PM
i used to burn the side of my thumb on my graphite newell. i say more brake and less thumb.

CAPT'N
09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
There is a thumb guard for spectra I have seen on some long range anglers.

ghetto dad
09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
guys...you will more then likely get "burned" during the initial "Firing" of the Iron...

GD

calico killer kevin
09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
yeah....i second that...NEVER cast with dry line...ESPECIALLY if you can cast...huh Throwback Ranger!! lmao..him and I were firing Iron at Catalina..and both of us COOKED our thumbs...literally...hurt like hell the rest of the day....white cooked thumb meat...yum

GD
Yeah guess who told me that many moons ago.:Wink:

ghetto dad
09-30-2009, 08:54 PM
lol....

GD

gavin310
10-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Hmm yeah I guess dry line would be the culprit. Pouring water on the line sounds like the way to go. Thanks for all the suggestions

Ricky-Ray
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Definitely wet the line on the reel before casting. Dry line will guarantee backlashes.

The blue tape you are referring to is called Flex Wrap. It's available at almost all tackle shops. Another name for it is called coflex or co-flex depending on manufacturer. Coflex is marketed mainly for medical industry but it works just as well as flex wrap and depending on where you get it, it could be cheaper too. The wrapping material that you see one horses legs is the exact same material. I heard you can get those from stores that sell horse supplies and those are pretty cheap too, you just have to cut the roll yourself down to size.

gavin310
10-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I didn't know dry line causes backlashes more. That's really good to know. Thanks for all the info Ricky. Good stuff. BTW the Avet you sold me casts fine :) It's my little SX that is the troublemaker.

h00ked247
10-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Always keep your line wet when casting. Before using my reel, I pour some bottled water on it. You can use bait tank water as well but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of saltwater getting into the nooks and crannies of my reels.

gavin310
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Always keep your line wet when casting. Before using my reel, I pour some bottled water on it. You can use bait tank water as well but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of saltwater getting into the nooks and crannies of my reels.

Yeah I was thinking on the cattle boats I would just fill up a cup in the bathroom. I'm not pouring saltwater on my Avet :Shocked:

cappo
10-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah I was thinking on the cattle boats I would just fill up a cup in the bathroom. I'm not pouring saltwater on my Avet :Shocked:

Dont worry the deckies will do that for you with their hose. :Rolls Eyes:

Heres Steves thumb after throwing Dan Hernandez magic metal jigs all day.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/temp/ThumbBlister.jpg

Ricky-Ray
10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
I didn't know dry line causes backlashes more. That's really good to know. Thanks for all the info Ricky. Good stuff. BTW the Avet you sold me casts fine :) It's my little SX that is the troublemaker.

Of course the one I sold you works great....it was maintained by Alan Tani... :ROFL:

Send it to him to get fixed....trust me you won't regret it.

sansou
10-02-2009, 12:10 AM
that wont work with an Avet....line goes all the way up rich..you know that..lol

GD

You made me doubt myself. I checked my Avets to make sure I wasn't crazy. Yep, there's a little lip on the side....but in all honesty, I still get a little thumb shredding but that's because of the knot on my short topshots combined with a wet thumb.

ghetto dad
10-02-2009, 09:21 AM

dude..you dont POUR it...youre getting SW on your reel winding the line back back..the line is WET from the SALTWATER...lmao

GD

ghetto dad
10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
You made me doubt myself. I checked my Avets to make sure I wasn't crazy. Yep, there's a little lip on the side....but in all honesty, I still get a little thumb shredding but that's because of the knot on my short topshots combined with a wet thumb.

lol..yeah rich..on my last trip, I found a nice lil "shred" on my topshot (NEW TOPSHOT TOO!:Evil:), so I had to cut quite a bit of topshot..the rest of day, of course, this was a day you HAD to cast FAR to get bit...my thumb was getting tore up from that damn knot.....

GD

hbomb
10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Dont worry the deckies will do that for you with their hose. :Rolls Eyes:

Heres Steves thumb after throwing Dan Hernandez magic metal jigs all day.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e290/cappo5150/temp/ThumbBlister.jpg

You're doing it all wrong, here let me show you how........:ROFL:

bchbum54
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM

dude thats the way to go. CKK hit it right on the money