PDA

View Full Version : New to fishing plastics?

fishin fool
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi all,
I'm finally going to get into plastics in a week. I'm old school as I learned fishing starting in 1955 at Parchers on Bishop Creek. I've read a lot on the boards about trout traps, orange power worms, etc. I've just purchased a few packages of plastics such as Berkley Gulp orange worms, Berkley Power Bait 1" nymphs, and 3 packages of trout teasers. I'll be staying in Bishop and fishing Virginia Lakes, Rock Creek Lake basin, South lake, and perhaps Convict. I'll also do a couple of day hikes. Any info for how to use plastics in these areas and any suggestions for other fishing spots would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

samgann93
09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
Virginia lakes + Chartruese Lip Ripperz Worms (rigged with split shot) = ridicoulously easy trout fishing.

I use lip rippers which is just like a power worm. here are some rigging tips...
http://lipripperz.com/trout-fishing-tips-tricks.html

billy b
10-01-2009, 06:57 AM
I just was up at Virginia trying to study the place. Do you have a preference of either of the 2 lakes? And are you wading out or tubing/yaking?

I'm unsure how it would work just casting plastics from shore. Wouldn't you get hung up n the weeds.

At upper, it seems that you have to cast quite a ways out. I wondered about wading since I'm not into tubing ... yet.

Lower V seems like it could get "bumper to bumper" but it has the browns and Upper V has the brooks?

samgann93
10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I fish the one by the general store. i forgot which one that is. I personally like to float tube it. You can have an awesome day their from shore and from a boat or tube. If you do cast from shore i would recomend drop shotting a powerworm or a lip ripperz trout worm. it will keep it above some of the weeds. There are places with more weeds and some places with very little weeds. just gotta find the right spot. Im not sure what lake has the browns or brooks.

Wading that lake would be okay i think. It could spook the fish a little because the water is so clear. and obviously you would need a pair of waders and good water boots. I have never done this though.

Good luck,
SamGann