PDA

View Full Version : One minute of pure....

klocked
09-29-2009, 12:19 PM
:Angry:32 minutes ago, I caught AND LOSTTTTTTT the biggest halibut I've ever caught. Caught me completely off guard. This thing was huge!!!! My jaw nearly detached from my face when I saw it. Being on the jetty didn't help either. I have alot to learn about handling extremely large fish:Rolls Eyes:

Troutman65
09-29-2009, 12:36 PM
You will get him next time :Wink:

hbomb
09-29-2009, 12:41 PM
awww man almost, would've loved to see that pic...:Cool:

lngbchfnhnter
09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
That's the worst feeling!!!! next time,bro!

dfisher
09-29-2009, 01:10 PM
ouch, that sucks.. next time take a picture of it before losing it.

deanhall32
09-29-2009, 01:59 PM
People want you to take a picture of the fish you lost?? Good luck man.

Must have been an awesome sight to see the monster!! Keep puttin the time in on the water and you will get another shot!!

bsp
09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
It's annoying and you probably don't want to, but figure out what you did wrong and be sure to not make that mistake next time. Once you have a big fish on, it helps to take a few breaths and make a plan about landing the monster. Figure out any obstacles that the fish can bust you off on, make sure your drag is set, and decide on how you will land it. Just stay calm, and don't let the shock/adrenaline take too much of a hold.

Hope you find this helpful. I've summarized everything I plan to remember when I hook another monster halibut. We'll both get ours next time!

TShaffer
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
How did the situation play out? Did you make an attempt to land him or did he just bust you off?

Jaysuuun
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Dude sorry to hear about that. The big ones always seem to bite when you're not ready for them. Did the fish come off the hook or did he break you off? :Confused:

It's annoying and you probably don't want to, but figure out what you did wrong and be sure to not make that mistake next time. Once you have a big fish on, it helps to take a few breaths and make a plan about landing the monster. Figure out any obstacles that the fish can bust you off on, make sure your drag is set, and decide on how you will land it. Just stay calm, and don't let the shock/adrenaline take too much of a hold.

Hope you find this helpful. I've summarized everything I plan to remember when I hook another monster halibut. We'll both get ours next time!

bsp, I couldn't agree with you more. Having a game plan for the next monster goes a long way. However, sometimes there are some things we can't control. For example if a fish decides to take you around a piling or comes off because they're barely hooked by the skin of their lip. God knows how many times that's happened to me. :Rolls Eyes: I do believe that by learning from our mistakes though, we can minimize our losses. :Cool:

sansou
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Lots of great advice....but the reality of it all is that if you fish enough, that time will come again where you will lose "the big'un"....all you can do is shake your fist at the sky.

Better luck next time! You'll get'em eventually!

victor101
09-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Wow....I hate it when that happens. At least you got to see it and know what it was. I hate it when you hook something big and farm it, but never get to see what it was. How big would you estimate it?

carpinator
09-29-2009, 05:15 PM
:angry:32 minutes ago, i caught and losttttttt the biggest halibut i've ever caught. Caught me completely off guard. This thing was huge!!!! My jaw nearly detached from my face when i saw it. Being on the jetty didn't help either. I have alot to learn about handling extremely large fish:rolls eyes:

when your fishing rod in hand style with live bait, artificial lures, flylining baits its crucial to stay focused on the task at hand. I've been distracted many times especially by the friendly passer by with 20 questions or the sights and sounds of nature or gun shots depending on where you are. The big one can always strike when you least expect it so don't get caught zoning out, stay focused on your rod because the big one's don't come around very often. Good luck out there!!

Wingnut
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo.... :mad: I hate it when that happens. :Neutral:
John, it happens to the best of us... that is what will drive you to get the next monster! My advice is to "let it go..." You will get another chance soon enough. :Wink:

exfactor
09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
You remember the fish that you lose more vividly than the fish that you catch. It's what keeps us driving to become better anglers. Learn from your experiences, and tell your kids when you get old the story of the big one that got away.

klocked
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replies and advice... here's what happened....

When I say I was "caught off guard" I meant off guard for this size of fish. I've gotten so used
to average sized ones that I'd forgotten to remember that anything is possible, that includes
the possibility of me actually catching a monster fish. I guess I had started to believe that only
other people catch the big ones. Funny thing is, I have a net but didn't think I'd need one so I
didn't bring it. I've always seen it as more stuff to have to carry, I think I'll have it with me next
time though.

I was dropshotting with a Gulp 5" jerkshad in Blue Pepper not even 20 feet from the shoreline.
Crystal clear water, no salad, a few schools of bait fish swimming around near the rocks I was
standing on.

My plan was that if I caught a nice one I would walk it to the sand and get it from there.
I know that halibut like to lay close to structure so I positioned myself in between 2 mini
kelp paddys with about 15 feet of space between them and began to cast out not too far and
work it all the way in tight to the rocks.

I got an extremely hard hit on my 3rd try right at my feet. The fish didn't swim away from the
rocks but instead started swimming fast towards the kelp on my right, that was the wrong di-
rection, the shoreline was to my left:Rolls Eyes:. I gave it a tug hoping I could turn it in the right direct-
ion(open water). All that did was make him do a U-turn up tight to the jetty heading for the
kelp and rocks on my left and I had to reel like crazy to keep tension on the line as he came
torward me. My line came tight and I just kept reeling(the urge for a visual was too much:LOL:)
and I got him to color... it was truly a monster butt. My jaw dropped and that must of scared
the fish because it peeled drag right into the kelp and rocks to my left even when I tried to turn
it again. Keeping tension on the line, I walked torwards the shore but a few moments later it was
gone.

What I think happened is this fish was thrashing the whole time, like I hooked him in a sensitive area.
The hook probably made a big enough hole in its mouth that it came out easily.

As for taking a picture before I lose it? thats funny

hughpam
09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Bummer Brother! I lost my PB LMB last spring by being caught off guard by it's size. It was painful.

Tight lines.

daveg456
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM
:Angry:32 minutes ago, I caught AND LOSTTTTTTT the biggest halibut I've ever caught. Caught me completely off guard. This thing was huge!!!! My jaw nearly detached from my face when I saw it. Being on the jetty didn't help either. I have alot to learn about handling extremely large fish:Rolls Eyes:

You see son, if you would took my advice and gone with the 30 minute folk, you could have been savoring your nice halibut dinner just about now.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=32382&highlight=minute+fishing

whate
09-30-2009, 10:58 AM
your experience reminds me that even i haven't caught anything yet, it might happen someday and chances are it could be my biggest break :???: I gotta put back the 30# braid on my reel. :LOL:

Poxy Boggards
09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Had a similar experience a month or so ago. You won't catch me fishing the salt without a gaff anymore... Preparation is key, you never know when the big one is going to decide to bite. Good luck, and you'll get that monster next time.

I find that when you hook a halibut in the general mouth area that they fight much harder than if they swallow the bait.

fishshep
09-30-2009, 04:10 PM
OH, MAN!!!!:Sad:
I know that feelin,
like someone stole somethin from ya!!!:Neutral:
Tell ya what, I will bring the pole net
you bring the location to my PM address!!! :Smile:

LBSea
09-30-2009, 10:59 PM
I have done the same thing at the same location. Best advice for fishing breakwalls is a LARGE net with a LONG handle. You will save a lot of fish that way. Bummer - Now go do it again with a net!