PDA

View Full Version : Planning on hoop netting at oceanside pier

mil sonrisas
09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I get out of work at 7am saturday morning and am going to meet a friend down in San Diego. I plan on stopping by BSP on the way down there. I should get down there by 11am at the latest.
Question: has anyone fished for lobster of the oceanside pier? Iknow it's open 24hrs. My friend tells me that he has seen people catch them there all the time and he'll ask them if they are gonna throw them back. "Why would I do that?" Is the usual response. So there are lobster there, but anyone know the quality. Well, I'll be there with my one net. Lol!

Redkorn
09-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Well Ive fished for lobster for the past few weeks on piers...to figure out there craw and what not and getting some nice sized crabs while doing so..

You might wanna do the same before every thing kicks off....

Just stuff as much bait in the bag or cage or what ever your using to hold your bait...theres tons of baby crabs and what nots under pier from what I leard....and they can eat it all in about 20mins.

Chicken (cooked kFC works somtimes)
Macks
chovies
squid.

Ive used all they all work...squid and chovies only work in combo with macks and bring lots of crabs.

The only other thing you gotta worrry about are the seals....they can steal your lobsters and crabs...and suck your bait out of what ever its in.

Most California piers hold lobsters just make sure you got someone lined up for a test bunnie....lots of toxic stuff in the waters theses day and if you eat one...you might end up on the can all night long.

If you dont wanna do it on the pier sometime little landing will do hoop netting trips...there one on the cobra out of channel islands sport fishing....50 bucks 5pm-12...good deal and they got the hoops for ya....theres one out of 22nd street landing or long beach to but its charter only and i think they want 700 bucks with i think is a rip off...

Too pass the time on the pier bring a bait catch setup for macks...and shrimp juice...they love that...its like crack to them...

Good luck.

klocked
09-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Well Ive fished for lobster for the past few weeks on piers....

Have you caught any?, oops, I meant have you "intentionally" caught any "out of season?" Just saying.... thats how the DFG would see it.

Redkorn
09-30-2009, 03:20 AM
Have you caught any?, oops, I meant have you "intentionally" caught any "out of season?" Just saying.... thats how the DFG would see it.

Well I go for crab but yes so I find out how well there doing in that area...and besides its all random at best. But I dont keep them or anything....But alot of ppl at redondo pier do which is sad. They have taken about 3-10 lobsters out of that place every other day off that pier...snaging...So ppl will even try to sell******* you lobsters...most are females undersized.

But there are still so big boys there...found two in my net during this month.

I really hope I see fish and game out when the season starts....because I see one person with out a report card or gage...or hoop nett im going to flip...

mil sonrisas
09-30-2009, 04:52 AM
Hey, thanks alot for the info Redkorn. When i was a kid my cousins and i used to go catch blue crabs with chicken drumsticks. we'd tie them to a string toss them out a few yards. we'd wait about ten minutes, pull the line in really slow and scoop them up with dip nets. i just never thought fried chicken would work with lobsters. like i said thanks for the info!

Redkorn
09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Hey, thanks alot for the info Redkorn. When i was a kid my cousins and i used to go catch blue crabs with chicken drumsticks. we'd tie them to a string toss them out a few yards. we'd wait about ten minutes, pull the line in really slow and scoop them up with dip nets. i just never thought fried chicken would work with lobsters. like i said thanks for the info!

Well a guy that leaves up the street from me said that what he did in russia so I gave it a try and ya it works but be very careful with raw chicken...I only used cooked just to be safe...

HESBROS
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I get out of work at 7am saturday morning and am going to meet a friend down in San Diego. I plan on stopping by BSP on the way down there. I should get down there by 11am at the latest.
Question: has anyone fished for lobster of the oceanside pier? Iknow it's open 24hrs. My friend tells me that he has seen people catch them there all the time and he'll ask them if they are gonna throw them back. "Why would I do that?" Is the usual response. So there are lobster there, but anyone know the quality. Well, I'll be there with my one net. Lol!

How do you plan on catching the lobster? In a hoop net I hope. And keep in mind you can only use two hoops off a pier, or one hoop and a fishing pole to catch fish! You can only use two appliances while fishing off pier. And dont forget your lobster card. Also, if I were going to try, I would move the times up 12 hours! Night is better.

mil sonrisas
10-07-2009, 04:06 AM
thanks for all the info. i did go out opening weelkend. actually got there friday at around 2pm. fished till it got dark. caught a bunch of short calico bass(berkley sandworm caroline rigged) and farmed( from what i have read farmed refers to catching a fish and reeling it up and not actually getting it in, right?) a couple of baracuda(crippled herring iron). i did have my net, license, report card and gauge, and waited til 00:01 . caught a total of 16. the old guy next to me pretty much showed me how to do everything. i mentioned i'd never done it before and he said he'd help. he was suprised i could throw the net as far as i could and i told him i grew up throwing cast nets in texas(for bait only). not much different.

i caught four that were about 1/32 of an inch short. apparently you have to push the gauge a bit til the eyes extend/popout to take the correct measurement. since i don't like ;lobster, i threw them back, better safe than sorry. the DFG was out there and by the time they got to us at the end they had been there atleast four hours. i saw many people get tickets and throw lobster back.

i would post pics, but i am on a gov computer and can't upload or download anything. i'm surprised this site hasn't been blocked yet! must be the only person on post who views this site on gov computer. lol!

had a great time though. it was a great first expirience and from what i heard, i had the sweet spot. DFG said i probably had the most caught that night!

HESBROS
10-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Sounds like a good time. It great when you run into an old timer that is willing to take the time to help you out. They havethe knowledge if you are willing to listen. And your right about the better safe than sorry, 1/32 will cost you $750.00.