PDA

View Full Version : Balboa to Dana Point baby Pier

Vies
09-28-2009, 07:15 AM
The day before i managed to go surf & jetty fish with My cousin Ryan to grab some 1" to 2" Mussel from balboa beach jetty rocks..try some new bait!... I got skunked but he grabbed a 26" Butt...what a bummer... he lost it! too bad lil cuz!

soo..the journey continues....the next day.

Got up early(4am) in the morning yesterday posted at the baby pier 6pm for about 4 hours of fishing with a couple of girlfriends to get away from the IE the second time.

They had a motorcycle event going on or car show or something so it was pretty busy so early..caught me by surprise.....(hence the 4 hour fishing..would have stayed longer to hit the jetty)

Caught some fun fish to fry up.

Overall, i had an awesome day fishing from that baby pier..

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/vies/TheCatch-092609.jpg

ryanr0cks
09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Nice post cuz, too bad about that event, those r some huge smelt tho haha, hopefully we can catch us some more legal Hali's next time we hit up the surf :) still kinda bummed about that last Hali I think I wanna pick up one of those boga grips

Vies
09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
well now we know!... thanks for taking me dude! that was fun, hopefully we can be more prepared for our next trip....what do you say? 2 weeks? post it

bsp
09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Nice jetty fish, but you might want to be more careful with the calicos. That fish looks too close to being a short to comfortably keep. It looks like it was legal when you caught it, but sometimes fish shrink up. That's why I'd never keep a 22in halibut. It'll shrink to 20in or 21in once it dies and the muscles tighten up. Just something to keep in mind so you don't get a ticket from the warden!

ryanr0cks
09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm down for another trip in about 2 weeks let's set it up and get out again for another day of fishing and fun

Vies
09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
BSP i was affraid of it shrinking too! and Behold! it did.... but it was still lingering the 12.5"....@ shrink point. I hate when that happens... if only they grew! lol. thanks for the heads up! Better days next time!

fish on!

Vies
09-28-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm down for another trip in about 2 weeks let's set it up and get out again for another day of fishing and fun

your weekend off dude!

invite BSP!

Wingnut
09-28-2009, 08:15 PM
How do you know that it was a 26" Hali if you lost it? :Wink:
Maybe it was a 36"! :Envious: Lost fish always seem to be bigger for some reason... works for me. :LOL:

Vies
09-28-2009, 10:11 PM
you are absolutely correct wingnut! maybe it was 36" My cousin Ryan would like the sound of that!

TShaffer
09-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Did you eat the smelt yet? How do they taste? Never had smelt before. Cool report.

Vies
09-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Yes i did. Best tasting when you cook them in soup big or small, the meat falls off the bone & actually saves you from biting into the bones.... YUMM!