PDA

View Full Version : How to catch stripers?

Jimmy310
09-28-2009, 02:46 AM
I am looking to catch some stripers in the near future but I am not sure how to do so. I heard and have seen allot of FNN's catching stipers left and right so I want to get in on the action.:LOL:

What type of rig do you use?
What kinds of bait are best?
How do you work the baits?
What kinds of lures?
How do you work the lures?
How do you set up "the umbrella"?

My first trip up to Castaic was allot of fun even though I didnt land a striper :Embarrassed:, now I want revenge and I will make sure I am set up properly.

Mojave River Angler
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
I had the same experience at Castaic. I'll watch as this thread develops. I'm hopeing to change my luck with those evil stripers at Striperfest. My 7 year old, Tim, turns 8 that day and he wants to catch his first striper too. Dad is no bass man, but I'll do my best to give him a chance.

MRA

smokehound
09-28-2009, 03:57 PM
if lures dont work, a fresh dead piece of shad will. But theres less sport to that.

cast into the boil, and try your hardest to make your lure look like a fish that got hit by the attack.

smalweld
09-29-2009, 04:54 PM
If you can take the time, hire Trout Only. Bob will put you on fish and will teach you how and what to do.. Best money I have spent in fishing in a while and had fish fillets to last me several months afterwords. There's reasons on why lots of people hire him. He will put you on fish!!

Sean

Jimmy310
09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I understand that Bob is the go to guy in these situations, but my economic situation is not a good one. This is the reason I would like to know what and how to use bait or jigs or techs on catching the stripes.

Anyone who has tips and doesn't mind sharing them is really appreciated.:Wink:

I only plan on keeping a couple of fish. I mostly c/r fish since there is only 2 of us who like to eat fish here.

Help:Confused: