PDA

View Full Version : Grande 1.5 day 9/24/09

greg
09-26-2009, 11:08 PM
At the last minute, jumped on the Grande since all the other 1.5 day trips were sold out by 2 am on Wednesday, 9/23. :Rolls Eyes: Left with 36 passengers (:Shocked:). We returned with full limits of YFT (8-15 pounds), 9 fat albies (30-35 pounds), some dorado and dink yellowtails. :Big Grin: I picked my limit of YFT and 2 of those albies - one would have been the jackpot but it was caught on the troll and the second fish in the JP. :Razz: The JP winnner was a real jerk - sticking his hand in the bait wells when he was 3 or 4 passengers back from the bait tank, casting over people then sqeezing his way in to fish, yelling at the others when he lost his fish, etc. Plus he gave a $10 tip with his $300+ JP in his pocket. Most of those albies were caught with a big 'dine on the slide. Dealt with thick fog in the morning but that cleared up. The water was flat with the Santa Anas blowing back home. :Cool: There were some huge kelp 85 miles below Pt Loma. We had big and small 'dines for bait. When the bite turned to a plunker bite, 20 or 25 pound fluorocarbon leader with size 2 hook and small baits got the tuna. :Secret: Some passengers never been out tuna fishing before - dropping their bait in the water (on the wrong side of the boat) stripping line off the reel then getting in big tangles. :Evil: Some were seasoned fisherman, able to untangle them selves without the crew jumping in (they were too busy with the newbies). :Wink: Food was decent. I may jump back on again in 2 weeks...

JapanRon
09-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi greg,

WTG on the great catching !! Good to hear. Gee only one of those pieces of garbage on the boat ???? The last time I went on a moo-moo tuna trip ...... ya the very last ...there were 3 or 4 of them. Oh yes and half the others were of varying degrees. The tuna shuffle were only for the idiots that listened to the crew .... suckers !!!

Garbage and crew guilty as far as I'm concerned !!

JapanRon

sansou
09-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice report Greg!

There's always "that guy" on an open party trip. Oh well.

From what I gather, it sounds like the albacore are still around a bit, so that's the upside!

diamondbear
10-04-2009, 03:11 PM
good going on the YFT , and Albacore . The Grande as I fished for years put in A NEW BAIT TANK with only the back of the tank with a small live well for bait , REALLY DUMB as it forces everyone to squeeze and wait for the newbes to catch there BAIT . The Grande is moving toward the bigger crowd on board type of fishing .

Troutman65
10-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Nice going on your limits.:Cool: