PDA

View Full Version : Tradition Slug Calicos and Killer Bones 9/26/09

Jackpot Jimmy
09-26-2009, 11:02 PM
I got down to Redondo early as usual, and soon, we all headed over to the loading gate. Just before 6:00, Morgon collected everyone’s ticket stubs, and we all boarded the boat. We rolled off the dock right at 6am, and headed over to the bait receiver. We loaded up on some medium to large sardines, and we were off to the island. Our crew consisted of Captain Stevo, Debo on galley duties, and Morgon working hard on deck, as well as pinheads Johnny and Nick. Stevo made his safety speech, informing us that the bonito had come around in the last few days, as well as very good bass fishing. It was sunny on the crossing, until we hit a very ominous looking fog bank. It certainly got cold in a hurry, and this fog bank did not clear until later in the day. However, it wasn’t that bad.

We rounded the West End of the island and soon set up on our first spot. A few of the guys started catching some nice calicos, but then, the Killer Bones came in force. For a while, I got bit every cast by a bonehead, but they wouldn’t get the hook all the way. I did finally get one, and it put up a pretty good fight on 15 pound test. We picked off some more bones, but the bite eventually petered, and we moved on.

Our next spot was very good for the calicos. Several nice bass came out of this spot, including one bass that went 8-1/2 pounds on a digital scale (safely released). Others continued to catch nice calicos, as well as a few more bonito. Most people were flylining sardines, and they would do one of three things. They would swim in the correct direction, swim in the opposite direction, or not swim at all. It got a little frustrating, but those who stuck it out were rewarded. Some guys also lost some more nice bass, but the nicer quality bass continued to come over the rail.

For our last spot, I don’t believe there were any bass caught, but a nice bonito came up, as well as a bat ray caught by Sarge. Anyways, jackpot went to Tradition regular Bill Mozingo with that slug calico. The bonito were all nice quality from three to six pounds. It was a nice day on the water. It was foggy, but a nice day nonetheless. There is still really good bass fishing at the island and the bonito are showing up in numbers. I’m hoping that with this El Nino, we will have a late fall bite on the yellows. That would be absolutely fantastic. As far as today went, like I said, those who stuck it out were rewarded. Great times, great fishing!

Bill’s Slug Calico, Safely Released
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-26.jpg

Action Shot
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-28.jpg

Nice Killer Bone
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-25.jpg

Pair of Nice Bonito
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/004-22.jpg

Group Picture
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/005-30.jpg

Nice Calicos
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/006-19.jpg

Zombie Bass ATTACK
09-26-2009, 11:11 PM
then why is it dead at the end pic and 2!!!!! hahahaha:ROFL:

Jackpot Jimmy
09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
then why is it dead at the end pic and 2!!!!! hahahaha:ROFL:

The first picture doesn't do the fish justice, but it was indeed as big as I said it was, as it was weighed on a digital scale, and it weighed 8-1/2 pounds. The last two fish he was holding were the average sized bass for the day.

Zombie Bass ATTACK
09-26-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't lie in my reports, first of all. The first picture doesn't do the fish justice, but it was indeed as big as I said it was. The last two fish he was holding were the average sized bass for the day.

not saying you did ..just not a big weight difference between the top pic and the bottom

victor101
09-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Nice report Jimmy! Capt. Stevo definately gets you on the fish. Im hoping for a good fall yt bite! I see Angel is on the boat again LOL...thats twice this week.

oh yeah...F haters! LOL

ghetto dad
09-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Nice report Jimmy.....I really hope to see a day where people have to release any Calico over 3 lbs......

GD

Zombie Bass ATTACK
09-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Nice report Jimmy.....I really hope to see a day where people have to release any Calico over 3 lbs......

GD

yesssssss that should be in the DFG book

JapanRon
09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Great bunch of fish. Very nice report and pics as usual. What ... nobody throwing clear with red flake blams for the Bonito ????????? Wierd ! 8~12lb fluoro and it's usually game on.

Guess the JP Calico was put in the bait tank to be released later as done before.

Thanks,

JapanRon

Jackpot Jimmy
09-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Hi Jackpot Jimmy,

Great bunch of fish. Very nice report and pics as usual. What ... nobody throwing clear with red flake blams for the Bonito ????????? Wierd ! 8~12lb fluoro and it's usually game on.

Guess the JP Calico was put in the bait tank to be released later as done before.

Thanks,

JapanRon

Thank you, Ron. Nobody was really fishing plastics yesterday, mostly bait and jigs. The jackpot calico was kept in the tank and released after jackpot was weighed up.

hbomb
09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Great report Jimmy, great pics........ yes and im hoping for this late bite on the yellows, hopefully soon....I see angel is on the boat again but wheres carlos :Razz:.... thanks jimmy. :Cool:

Jackpot Jimmy
09-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Nice report Jimmy! Capt. Stevo definately gets you on the fish. Im hoping for a good fall yt bite! I see Angel is on the boat again LOL...thats twice this week.

Yep, Stevo is a good captain and definitely knows the island! Thanks for reading, Vic.

Nice report Jimmy.....

GD

Thanks for reading, Steve.

Great report Jimmy, great pics........ yes and im hoping for this late bite on the yellows, hopefully soon....I see angel is on the boat again but wheres carlos :Razz:.... thanks jimmy. :Cool:

Thanks for reading! Carlos was on the boat, but not in the picture.

sansou
09-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Good looking calicos! Always fun to catch when they get around that size...

Slot limits for goats and checkers....

ztugs
09-27-2009, 04:35 PM

ditto to what sansou said

cappo
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Nice report jimmy. Hope to join you again sometime.

BIGRED KILLA
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the pics and report keep it up out there... The Calicos were on there way to be tanker bass i wish people CPR a lot more on them and other fish before we put a bigger dent in em all....

Bigred

BingJr
09-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Rich is absolutely correct. If we don't get on the stick we will be hitting the islands for Mackeral. They are a great sport fish and one of the most heavily fished species locally. Drop the daily take and institute a slot limit.

ghetto dad
09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
You used to catch bass like that ALL DAY LONG at catalina....not anymore...sad....

GD

calico killer kevin
09-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanksfor the report JJ. Look forward to next week's. Does the Tradition offer passes as cocmpensation for releasing larger calicos? I think they should be 12"-18" for eating.

You used to catch bass like that ALL DAY LONG at catalina....not anymore...sad....

GD
Some of us still do.:Wink::Secret:

jig fish
09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice report Jimmy, we missed you on sunday! Ill see you next weekend

jerryG
09-29-2009, 12:17 AM

GD

Amen to that brother. These days I release all calicos. If you get a big bass that is a contender for jp most crews will let keep it in the tank for a safe release after the final call for JP.

JerryG

shovelnose
09-29-2009, 07:17 PM
nice report Jimmy I'll let Carlos know about the forum

Chandy
09-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Excuse my ignorance .. but why C&R on Calicos ? is it because of the diminish of the species in So Cal ?

ghetto dad
09-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanksfor the report JJ. Look forward to next week's. Does the Tradition offer passes as cocmpensation for releasing larger calicos? I think they should be 12"-18" for eating.

Some of us still do.:Wink::Secret:

dude..youre like 14 years old...????

GD

Zombie Bass ATTACK
10-02-2009, 01:52 AM
dude..youre like 14 years old...????

GD

hahahaha hump humpty hump.

Greg Madrigal
10-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Great report and thanks fro letting go that pig. Someone needs to make more baby fish! Screw the dude in the last pic.

GM<><