PDA

View Full Version : Perris Lake 9/25 Hot Afternoon Bluegills

Natural Lefty
09-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Well, fall is here, but it does not feel that way. I decided to go to Perris despite the heat for my weekly friday afternoon fishing session. For one thing, I figured it would not be very crowded. For another, I have a pretty full agenda, so the half hour drive to Perris was more appealing than some 1 1/2 hour drive.

I was correct about it not being very crowded at Perris. I got there around 3 p.m., which turned out to be way too early, and went to the deserted docks in the launch ramp area. I fished at the surprisingly windy luanch ramp for about an hour, with only one missed bite. Thus, I decided to go to the marina docks again at 4 p.m. The young lady in the store gave me a dock fishing wristband for free, since it was already 4 p.m. What a nice young lady!

Fishing was better in the deeper water from the docks, but only for small Bluegills. By the time the lake employee came to close the gate at 6 p.m. or so, I had caught 4 of them on worms, but all small. The first one unfortunately had hooked itself in the gills and was bleeding profusely when I brought it in. When I took the hook out, part of the gill came out, too, so I kept it to fertilize my Dragon Fruit plants which are doing so well this year due to my weekly feedings of whatever is left over after filleting the week's catch (Opaleyes mostly, plus Redears, Crappie, and Bluegills). While I was out on the docks, I noticed that there were a great quantity of Midges, many of them floating on the surface. I guess they are laying eggs again. Some of them even got on my equipment. The Shad were pecking at the ones on the surface, but the gamefish were too deep to know they were there.

After the gate was closed, I went to the area in front of the gate again, but this time, the fish were not biting. Even the guy who had the stringer of fish last time, had caught nothing this time. I did manage to catch another small Bluegill there, but that was it. The only other fish I saw caught yesterday was a small Bass someone caught from shore. I attribute the mediocre fishing to the heat. Rather than waiting for the fish to start biting in the marina, at 6:30 I decided mostly out of curiousity, to go back to the launch ramp to find out whether the evening fishing was any better there.

That turned out to be a good move. After a while, I had a bump on my nightcrawler piece, so I waited a few seconds, then moved the bait a bit again, the fish took it, and it turned out to be a good size Bluegill, the catch of the day. It was a little bigger than the larger of the 2 Redears I caught last time. Strangely, I caught it only 20-30 feet from shore, and there were zero bites on worms after that.

However, around 7 p.m., as it was starting to get dark, masses of Bluegills suddenly started surfacing to feed on Midges and whatever other flies were present. Fortunately, the wind I had experienced earlier in the day had calmed down to a light breeze by then. Thus, I found a tan terrestrial type fly pattern in my fly box (sorry, don't know the pattern), and set up a bobber and fly rig. My choice of flies turned out to be a good one, as I got 3 strikes on my first cast -- all missed. But nevermind, I did catch 3 Bluegills on the fly over the next half hour, two on the right side (away from the ramp), one to the left (directly over the ramp). All of them were small, but actually a little bigger than the ones I caught from the marina docks. Anyway, I put them back to grow up, hopefully to return to my line as big ones someday. (Anyone believe in Karma?) Actually, some of the largest Bluegills I have ever caught, at Perris and elsewhere, have been on flies, although most of them are on the small side. I have also caught Redears, Green Sunfish, and Pumpkinseeds on flies, but many more Bluegills. I love catching Bluegills on flies, so that made a good ending to my hot sweaty fishing afternoon. I had drank more than a bottle of Poweraid by the time I left at 7:45. For about the last 15 minutes, nothing bit on flies or worms. I guess the fish had gone to sleep, or at least were taking a rest. That was my cue that it was time to go home and take a rest.

Fish do sleep, by the way. I have often seen them sleeping, even while fishing. That is one reason that a fish totally ignores one's bait sometimes.

It was pretty mediocre fishing, probably due to the excessive heat, but things were interesting in the end.

Here's the catch:

3 small Bluegills on redworms (2 released, 1 kept due to gill damage),
3 Bluegills on nightcrawler pieces (1 large one kept, 2 small ones released),
and 3 smallish Bluegills on the tan colored fly (all released)

The one larger Bluegill is probably enough for an entire deluxe Sashimi plate, only fresher, and I will probably end up with at least a couple hundred dollars worth of Dragon Fruit this year -- yummy! (Dragon Fruit cost about 10-15 dollars each at the Chinese market.)

Captions for the 3 photos:
1. Gorjilina my home greeter checking out the camera with the keeper Bluegill in the background;
2. A closer view of the larger Bluegill;
3. A photo of some of my Dragon Fruit plants that I took earlier today. Notice the ripe, red fruit on these special cactus plants related to Christmas Cactus. Also, notice the bud in front which will hopefully develop into another fruit.

Troutman65
09-26-2009, 02:27 PM
:Cool: Kitty Cat.

Nice read. Thanks for sharing .

diamondbear
09-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey NL , The first pic is of a true catfish and the last it what happens when you bury them , lol Bluegill are fun to catch and you beat the skunk .

Natural Lefty
09-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Troutman, Diamondbear, wow that was fast! I just posted my report. Thanks for the quick and kindly (or fast and funny) responses.

Troutman, even my wife, who never really had cats before, loves Gorjilina. She is a real people loving cat who rarely leaves the yard, except to follow me if I walk down the street.

Yeah, Diamondbear, Gorjilina is a "Catfish," or is that a "Fish Cat?" I really believe the fish remains make one of the best organic fertilizers. I have been doing that for years, and it is clear to see how well the plants respond to their Plant Sashimi. I figure, "Waste not, want not." I might as well make use of whatever I bring home one way or another.

Well, I have to leave now on my errands -- just had time to get this response in.

smokehound
09-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I love dragonfruit, best cactus fruit on earth.

I bet if you stuffed a bluegill's belly with dragonfruit, it would be awesome tasting.

castle
09-26-2009, 09:19 PM
What happened? Last time you caught 2 good size rockbass there.

HuskerRod
09-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I hope your cat doesn't eat your Dragon Fruit.

Natural Lefty
09-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Smokehound, I agree about the Dragon Fruit. Maybe that is why they are so expensive, plus they are supposedly difficult to grow, and are imported from other countries. Most Americans have never eaten them. I give my wife credit for knowing how to grow them from her experience in her native country, Taiwan. She takes a branch from a growing one (basically cloning), puts it in the ground, stakes it or puts it by a fence since they basically grow like floppy vines, and we water them lightly 2-3 times per week and put something yummy in the ground now and then. They seem to like it here, and bloom in the summer, or when it's hot. The flowers are white, tube-shaped and HUGE -- very impressive. Every flower turns into a fruit. :Cool:Most people in this area have trouble getting them to flower, although the plants usually survive.

Castle, I was sort of disappointed I didn't catch any "Rock Bass" this time, either. :Confused:

Husker Rod, my cats don't eat fruit, but I did see Gorjilina eating some grass yesterday. Then a Tomato I was going to pick, disappeared. Hmm, maybe she ate that too. :Shocked:

NorthwestWolf
09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
NL,

Thank you for the wonderful report from Perris. It's nice to come across someone else who also appreciates panfish of any shape, size, or color pattern. When I head out to Perris I target those same areas for panfish on the flyrod. Just as you have seem to I've done well with a handful of nymph patterns and produced decent bluegill and redear. My next step for flyfishing Perris is to start targeting the larger panfish with a lighter shooting head system and a selection of Puglisi-style baitfish patterns, leeches, and small clousers.

El Weirdo
09-27-2009, 04:51 PM
pitahayas!! love them things..

old pudd fisher
09-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the Perris report it was fun to read and your cat is cool. I have a big gray cat named taco. I love the Dragon fruit plant, looks like it's doing well with all the fish remains you feed it. I grow vegetables almost year around and also have some one stealing my tomatos, but it's not the cat it's my dog.

Natural Lefty
09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Northwestwolf, I found your comments very interesting. You are absolutely right about me, although I have an interest in all kinds of fish and aquatic life. I just happen to fish for panfish the most often.

I sometimes use a fly rod, but usually use a bobber and fly technique. I am sure you know your flies and flyfishing better than I do. I have had success at Perris and elsewhere on anything which resembles a midge, also black ants, and subsurface patterns such as zug bugs and scuds. The largest Bluegill I caught on a fly was on an Adams at lots 11-12, only about 10 feet from shore, so it would have been easily reachable with a fly rod. In general, the bobber method casts better, so it usually works the best for me.

El Wierdo, what was that again? I guess that is the Spanish name for Dragon Fruit. Thanks for giving another name for it.

Old Pudd Fisher, I have a male grey tabby cat as well (Smurfull), and he is big (long and thin with a big head, and very smart). I heard once about this 20 something year old cat which liked to eat pizza and broccoli. I guess that is health food for cats, too. Thom Hartmann, the radio show host I listen to, has a cat his son rescued from a frat house that like to eat pizza also, and take showers. Even so-called carnivores are not completely carnivorous. Many dogs as well will eat various veggies if their owners give it to them, such as yours. My parents have a Miniature Schnauzer who is that way, too.

NorthwestWolf
09-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Northwestwolf, I found your comments very interesting. You are absolutely right about me, although I have an interest in all kinds of fish and aquatic life. I just happen to fish for panfish the most often.

I sometimes use a fly rod, but usually use a bobber and fly technique. I am sure you know your flies and flyfishing better than I do. I have had success at Perris and elsewhere on anything which resembles a midge, also black ants, and subsurface patterns such as zug bugs and scuds. The largest Bluegill I caught on a fly was on an Adams at lots 11-12, only about 10 feet from shore, so it would have been easily reachable with a fly rod. In general, the bobber method casts better, so it usually works the best for me.

Lefty,

You're the first person I've heard make metion of taking panfish, or any fish from Perris on scuds. Although I have heard, and have planned on trying to confirm, that Perris has a very large scud population; although don't try to nail me down to the exact species.

I love fly fishing because it allows me to constantly learn, and without that I'll drop any given activity like a bad habit. It is amazingly cool being able to mimic, with some time at the vise, whatever is in the water column from top to bottom.

I've been tying a new-to-me pattern that you might appreciate:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Bullys_Spider.htm

It should work well for how, where and what you like to fish for. It ties with a minimum of materials and fuss. I'm thinking of trying it in black and also yellow for Lake Perris.

Tight Lines.

- NorthwestWolf

Natural Lefty
10-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Northwestwolf, I tried to post a reply to your most recent message from another computer I own, but it disappeared. Now I am back to my usual computer.

That fly looks interesting. It is actually a bug imitation, such as a cricket.

I am a lifelong learner much like you. Actually, I am an academic with very broad interests. I do love panfish fishing. In fact, I usually drink from a "Crappie Cup." (Say what?) It's a cup I bought which has a picture of two Crappies going after Crappie Jigs on it. Hopefully, it gives me good Karma. :Smile:

Good luck with your fly-fishing pursuits. Perhaps we will run into each other at Perris Lake.