PDA

View Full Version : Stopped by forest ranger in S.B. national forest

idratherbfishin
09-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I went fishing today in the San Bernardino national forest at a small creek I like to frequent. Well, I'm getting in some practice with the fly rod and a forest ranger approaches me. He proceeds to tell me that it is illegal to fish where I'm at. Now I pay taxes and C&R and buy my fishing license every year and I'm not supposed to fish in the local creeks? This just doesn't make sense to me at all. He says the Santa Ana River and Jenks lake are the only places in that area are legal to fish in. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Tight lines -bfishin

Troutman65
09-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Not sure what area you were fishing ( without you giving up your spot ) you would think if its on Public Land you would have the right to fish it if you have your fishing lic.

TackleJunkie would know more.

mth1997
09-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Check the freshwater fishing guide for the particular water you were fishing and if its not there, the water falls under the general regulations. I'm almost 100% sure you were OK, especially if you were throwing flies and not bait.

You might carry the regs with you, that way they can't say anything if you're right. The regs are small and light and fit into any fishing vest or backpack easily. You can get them for free at any store that sells fishing equipment (if ya already didn't know; )

Too bad. Was he/she at least cool about it?

idratherbfishin
09-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Check the freshwater fishing guide for the particular water you were fishing and if its not there, the water falls under the general regulations. I'm almost 100% sure you were OK, especially if you were throwing flies and not bait.

You might carry the regs with you, that way they can't say anything if you're right. The regs are small and light and fit into any fishing vest or backpack easily. You can get them for free at any store that sells fishing equipment (if ya already didn't know; )

Too bad. Was he/she at least cool about it?

I will definately get a copy of the fishing regulations. Yeah he was cool about it, said he was a fellow fisherman so he understood my disappointment. Guess it could have been worse. Its just so ridiculous that everything is so regulated and restricted. I know we need certain laws to keep everything in balance, but it seems like things are getting a little redundant when it comes to public land. When I was younger you could go just about anywhere in these local mountains, now all you see is locked gates and no trespassing signs, and I'm not that old. Sad.

WARRIORMIKE
09-26-2009, 01:53 PM
might be a small section of the creek that was on Private land.

idratherbfishin
09-26-2009, 05:59 PM
might be a small section of the creek that was on Private land.

Nope, I was in a public, highly used area.

teejay
09-26-2009, 06:22 PM
It sounds to me that you were given misinformation by that ranger. I can’t find any general or special regulation in the California DFG reg. pamphlet that would apply to your situation.
Unless you were in an area of the national forest under some kind of a federal closure order or special rule -which also doesn’t appear to apply in your situation- you should have been allowed to fish there.
The San Bernardino National Forest web site has contact information for the supervising ranger and district rangers. Perhaps you can speak with them and get the official word on the matter and keep us posted.

castle
09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
Letme see if I can explain this. Due to the fact that there have been serious wildfires in our local mountains, such as the station fire in L.A. county that is still burning after a month,
The forest service is watching everyone especially in this hot weather. I was asked to leave a fishing spot a couple of weeks ago. Its not the fact that it is private property or anything, they are just being careful.Untill we get more rains this winter and spring,the drought conditions will still exist. Theymay even close the forest to non residence if we dont get rain soon. Please bear with them.

idratherbfishin
09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Letme see if I can explain this. Due to the fact that there have been serious wildfires in our local mountains, such as the station fire in L.A. county that is still burning after a month,
The forest service is watching everyone especially in this hot weather. I was asked to leave a fishing spot a couple of weeks ago. Its not the fact that it is private property or anything, they are just being careful.Untill we get more rains this winter and spring,the drought conditions will still exist. Theymay even close the forest to non residence if we dont get rain soon. Please bear with them.

I see your point but I am unaware of anybody starting a fire with a fishing pole. I do understand we are in a drought and I pray they catch the a**hole that started that station fire. I hope the rain comes soon:Wink:.

Astrolux
09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Hit up Skyler, there is a 90% chance that he has probably already fished there, he knows quite a bit about this stuff.

Skyler
10-04-2009, 01:17 PM
The only creek closed to fishing in the SB forest is City Creek, in Highland area along the 330, and the North fork of the San Jacinto. You are not allowed to step within 10 feet of them, due to MYLF closures. No biggy as there aren't too many fish there anyways. All others are open. However, bear in mind the forestry dept has the ability to close any section of the forest at their own discretion. At the moment, there are few closuresin that area. The ranger was probably out of the loop, or just telling wivestales. Send me a PM and we can discuss this further. If it's the spot I think it is, you should have all rights to fish there...

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof, excepting
upon lands set aside for fish hatcheries, and no land owned by the
State shall ever be sold or transferred without reserving in the
people the absolute right to fish thereupon; and no law shall ever be
passed making it a crime for the people to enter upon the public
lands within this State for the purpose of fishing in any water
containing fish that have been planted therein by the State;
provided, that the legislature may by statute, provide for the season
when and the conditions under which the different species of fish
may be taken.

The creeks in that area have been stocked by the "Trout in the Classroom" project, which is funded by the state, so therefore you have rights of access. Furthermore, the "wild" trout in that area were originally stocked by the state in the early 1900's, so that further solidifies your right to be there. A long as you weren't in the fire closure area along 1N09, you are good to go. Just print out the section of the state constitution quoted above, show it to them, and stand your ground. Most rangers don't understand state Fish and Game law. They are federal Dept. of Agriculture employees.

If you follow this link, you will find that there are no such closures listed. In fact, it states quite the contrary...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/fishing/index.shtml

diamondbear
10-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Don't tell me City creek as iam boulder hopping IN CITY CREEK to get to my deer hunting spots . nothing but a bunch of silly frogs in there , ha .

Skyler
10-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Don't tell me City creek as iam boulder hopping IN CITY CREEK to get to my deer hunting spots . nothing but a bunch of silly frogs in there , ha .

You don't even want to know the fine they will stick you with if they catch you doing that, lol. If you need to cross the creek, stick to the bridge behind the ranger station that leads up to Mud Flats. Trust me...