PDA

View Full Version : might be a dumb question

Thisfool
09-26-2009, 03:18 AM
why is it that bass is catch and release only

are they hard to breed for stocking or something

JoeCali
09-26-2009, 04:14 AM
Whats ups man...no they're not hard to breed, infact, bass are prolificate breeders...the thing is they are the top freshwater gamefish. So the more fish you release, the better your (and everybody else's) chances of catchin these prized fish is increased. Most fishermen (including myself) release the fish back to fight another day, but their are some poachers out there that don't care.:mad: but in my humble opinion its OK to take a fish or 2 for the table every once in a while...:Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up: peace out

Thisfool
09-26-2009, 04:23 AM
oooo I think I get it so if there were a big number its not so special to catch one ooo I get it

ya see I like to eat what I catch I mean im going to follow rules if I ever catch one ill put him back (after a few pics) just kinda all ways thought is not cool to make me pay $20 + to fish your lake and i cant even keep the fish i catch but hey i get the sporting aspect of it

thanks for the info bro

Nessie Hunter
09-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Bass in most lakes are stocked ONE time at initial set up as part of the eco system, and to control smaller (pan fish to shad) fish populations...

Seldom is there a need to restock them, if the limits are enforced, once the population gets to a good size.....????

C&R is always recommended to keep a healthy population..
(especially the large females = fish over 4 + are almost all females).

You can easily tell when it gets to crowded... They get long and skinny with big looking heads, from Lack of forage/food.............
Then its time to thin them out....

a biley
09-26-2009, 10:44 AM
if you are going to keep bass, please do so at a VERY VERY large lake, not a city park that doesn't have a great population