PDA

View Full Version : New To Baitcasting Reels

Fire Ball
09-25-2009, 08:29 PM
I purchased an Abu Garcia Black Max on eBay a few days ago and tested it out today. This was my first time ever using a baitcasting reel. I cast it a few times with the brakes all the way on, but then when I turned the knob off a little, I got backlash. I was just thinking, if I am using heavier lures, will I need to keep my thumb on the spool to slow it down some or are the brakes going to be doing all the work for me? Is there anything wrong with my reel or is this how it should be?

fish4keep
09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Practice, practice, practice.....

Nobody gets it the first time. If it has brakes, turn them all on. Adjust the tension knob. First start out with heavier weights. You don't have to cast with all you might. Just take simple cast. Get use the your thumb pressure.

Practice, practice,practice, and then practice some more.....

Fire Ball
09-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Practice, practice, practice.....

Nobody gets it the first time. If it has brakes, turn them all on. Adjust the tension knob. First start out with heavier weights. You don't have to cast with all you might. Just take simple cast. Get use the your thumb pressure.

Practice, practice,practice, and then practice some more.....

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it is a tension knob and not brakes, but I'm really not sure of the difference.

dfisher
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
it has brakes, its the knob on the left. The knob on the right is the tention.

Fire Ball
09-25-2009, 09:54 PM
it has brakes, its the knob on the left. The knob on the right is the tention.

Is the tension knob going to do anything? And I'm pretty sure it is the opposite. Tension knob on the right and brakes on the left. I have a right handed reel.

bsp
09-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Read the manual if it came with one. That will explain some of the technical jargon and tell you how to set it up. You will understand the inner workings of the reel a lot better afterward, and then you can understand how to set it up to cast differently depending on your situation.

Basic way to tell if your settings are correct is to put the reel into free spool and the let the lure/weight drop from the height of the rod. Don't touch the spool while it is dropping. If the reel backlashes when the lure hits the ground you need to adjust your settings. If it has a smooth, controlled drop without backlash you are good to go.

klocked
09-25-2009, 09:59 PM
The "brakes" are to control backlash at the beginning of the cast. The "tension knob" controls backlash at the end of the cast. I'll assume you got the backlash after your lure hit the water? If so, tighten the tension control knob to minimize that, like BSP said, you want the lure to drop in a controlled manner. Keep practicing, it'll come.

Fire Ball
09-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Read the manual if it came with one. That will explain some of the technical jargon and tell you how to set it up. You will understand the inner workings of the reel a lot better afterward, and then you can understand how to set it up to cast differently depending on your situation.

Basic way to tell if your settings are correct is to put the reel into free spool and the let the lure/weight drop from the height of the rod. Don't touch the spool while it is dropping. If the reel backlashes when the lure hits the ground you need to adjust your settings. If it has a smooth, controlled drop without backlash you are good to go.

There was no manual because I got it factory reconditioned. I think it might backlash when it hits the ground even if I have the brakes all the way on with a heavier lure.

The "brakes" are to control backlash at the beginning of the cast. The "tension knob" controls backlash at the end of the cast. I'll assume you got the backlash after your lure hit the water? If so, tighten the tension control knob to minimize that. Keep practicing, it'll come.

I got backlash in the middle of the cast. I always stop my spool with my thumb as it hits the water.

victor101
09-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Every reel casts differently.... You should always keep some sort of thumb pressure on the spool. Even the lightest amount of pressure makes a difference. Like bsp said...you should adjust your spool tension(knob on the right of the reel) with your rod at a 45 degree angle to where if you take your thumb off the spool, your lure/weight will fall slowly and not backlash when it hits the ground. Ive been using baitcasters and conventional reels for a few years and still backlash every now and then. Dont give up!

calico killer kevin
09-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Start with a 1/2oz weight. Nothing heavier, nothing lighter. Turn on your brakes all the way, keep on casting, and as you get better, slowly turn them off.

Yes, you will need to apply your thumb. The more brakes you have on, the less thumb you need, but you still need it regardless.

On a right handed reel, the brakes are on the left and the tension knob is on the right. The brakes are for abrupt tensioning or untentioning of the spool and the knob does the same, but is much more subtle. Think of it as the coarse and fine focus of a microscope.

dfisher
09-25-2009, 11:38 PM
http://basspro.scene7.com/is/servlet/izoom/BassPro/351-228-00?layer=comp&wid=500&hei=500&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=trilin&op_usm=1.0,1.0,0.0,0&iccEmbed=0

I am assuming this is the one you purchased? That knob in front is the brakes.

Abu Garcia schematics - http://www.abugarcia.com/product_schematic.php?id=226.228.1603

Nessie Hunter
09-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Loosen the Spool Control knob on right (under handle) till you have free spool, Leave it there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tighten Left cast control to 1/2 setting...
1/2 oz weight and practice with THUMB CONTROL...
Do this until you can cast without any cast control on at all..

THUMB CONTROL, THUMB CONTROL, THUMB CONTROL!!!!!!!!

Very light weights and casting into the wind, should be the only time you use the cast control at all. When you get it mastered.....

The less Cast Control, the further you can cast....

Even the pros get a "Professional Overrun" now and then...

Vman
09-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Do this until you can cast without any cast control on at all..

THUMB CONTROL, THUMB CONTROL, THUMB CONTROL!!!!!!!!

Very light weights and casting into the wind, should be the only time you use the cast control at all. When you get it mastered.....

The less Cast Control, the further you can cast....

DO NOT take this instructional advice. There is NO one that I know of that can cast a freshwater baitcaster this size WITHOUT the cast control. This advice only works with bigger saltwater conventional reel with bigger spool-slower rotation. Even then, the really long distance surfcaster prefer some form of magnetic brakes. This Nessie guy, only a few years ago, was asking for advice on getting some spinning outfit matched.

I have been using baitcasters for some 20 years now and can cast as well as anybody that I know ( some of my friends are serious tournament bass fishermen ). That reel has a weak magnetic braking system that you can adjust by loosening the screws that holds it back, making it closer to the spool. That is why you are having to use all of the braking. I worked on a Silvermax that's why I know this.

I use no side tension control at all, just my thumb. But definitely, brake control to slow down the initial burst of speed on the spool. So, DO NOT attempt to turn down ALL of the cast control ( magnetic brake ) on this reel, you will only get backlashes.

PS Don't believe that "once mastered" ego driven bullshit, you thumb will never be as good as a mechanical device that applies PROPORTIONATE amount of braking depending on the speed of the spool rotation.

calico killer kevin
09-26-2009, 04:43 PM
DO NOT take this instructional advice. There is NO one that I know of that can cast a freshwater baitcaster this size WITHOUT the cast control. This advice only works with bigger saltwater conventional reel with bigger spool-slower rotation. Even then, the really long distance surfcaster prefer some form of magnetic brakes. This Nessie guy, only a few years ago, was asking for advice on getting some spinning outfit matched.

I have been using baitcasters for some 20 years now and can cast as well as anybody that I know ( some of my friends are serious tournament bass fishermen ). That reel has a weak magnetic braking system that you can adjust by loosening the screws that holds it back, making it closer to the spool. That is why you are having to use all of the braking. I worked on a Silvermax that's why I know this.

I use no side tension control at all, just my thumb. But definitely, brake control to slow down the initial burst of speed on the spool. So, DO NOT attempt to turn down ALL of the cast control ( magnetic brake ) on this reel, you will only get backlashes.

PS Don't believe that "once mastered" ego driven bullshit, you thumb will never be as good as a mechanical device that applies PROPORTIONATE amount of braking depending on the speed of the spool rotation.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...chill... Both opinions are valid. Give this guy some time to try it all out and see what works for him.

To the OP, keep some brakes on, especially with the lower end models as they tend to havfe pretty weak braking systems.

Fire Ball
09-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm finding that having the brakes all the way on, so it doesn't fall too fast, but it is still going too fast so I use the spool tension too. I am not really thumbing the spool much, only when it hits the water.

GeordyBass
09-26-2009, 06:58 PM
I dont use baitcasters anymore but, this is my advice:
-tighten cast control (left knob) all the way

-tighten the centrifugal brake (right knob) until tight, then unscrew about 1 turn or so.

-Always cast as SMOOTH as you can. Never,never whip it and force the cast, it will result in overrevving and will cause a backlash.

-When you cast, cast to about a 75 degree angle, then slowly bring the tip down to about 50 degrees and right before the lure hits the water stop it completely and hold it for about a second or two then put it in gear.

-Also, practice and practice some more, and adjust the brakes slowly until you got it dialed in.

Good Luck,,,

bsp
09-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Dude, relax. Why would you get so pissed off at Nessie? Big deal if he asked about choosing a spinning combo YEARS ago. It's kind of sad that you would use an ad hominem attack in an attempt to invalidate his advice like that.

Maybe you can't toss your baitcasters without any breaks, but it's an inductive argument to apply that to everybody else (more logical fallacies). How does being friends with "serious" tournament bass pros make your opinion more valid, and how do you define "serious"? Let's hear some names, and a little info to validate your claim. Also, just because you're somebody's friend doesn't mean you're their equal in one skill set. Yet another inductive argument on your part.

You actually have a few lines of decent info with regards to the mechanical aspect of the reel. The only thing I'd add is to not adjust the screws too much in case they come loose while the reel is in use.

The last part of your argument really is a matter of opinion. No spool tension works for you, but I think the guy might want to try a combination of the two since he's never used a baitcaster before. Since you've been using baitcasters for 20yrs, you've got a lot more experience with controlling the spool with your thumb. He doesn't, so the mechanical aid will help a lot.

Lastly, you ironically hit the nail on the head with "ego driven bullshit." Your argument above was the same "ego driven bullshit" that you accused Nessie of. Congrats. :LOL:

GeordyBass
09-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Dude, relax. Why would you get so pissed off at Nessie? Big deal if he asked about choosing a spinning combo YEARS ago. It's kind of sad that you would use an ad hominem attack in an attempt to invalidate his advice like that.

Maybe you can't toss your baitcasters without any breaks, but it's an inductive argument to apply that to everybody else (more logical fallacies). How does being friends with "serious" tournament bass pros make your opinion more valid, and how do you define "serious"? Let's hear some names, and a little info to validate your claim. Also, just because you're somebody's friend doesn't mean you're their equal in one skill set. Yet another inductive argument on your part.

You actually have a few lines of decent info with regards to the mechanical aspect of the reel. The only thing I'd add is to not adjust the screws too much in case they come loose while the reel is in use.

The last part of your argument really is a matter of opinion. No spool tension works for you, but I think the guy might want to try a combination of the two since he's never used a baitcaster before. Since you've been using baitcasters for 20yrs, you've got a lot more experience with controlling the spool with your thumb. He doesn't, so the mechanical aid will help a lot.

Lastly, you ironically hit the nail on the head with "ego driven bullshit." Your argument above was the same "ego driven bullshit" that you accused Nessie of. Congrats. :LOL:
I know not cool and well said,,,lol,,,

I dont get backlashes anymore but again I dont use em anymore so my skills died I guess,,,lol,,,

BingJr
09-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Bottom, you will have to put your finger on the spool with the lure hits the water no matter what weight it is. Once you get good, the only time you will see backlashes is when pitching into the wind.

Nessie Hunter
09-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I have been using baitcasters for some 20 years now and can cast as well as anybody that I know ( some of my friends are serious tournament bass fishermen ). That reel has a weak magnetic braking system that you can adjust by loosening the screws that holds it back, making it closer to the spool. That is why you are having to use all of the braking.

I worked on a Silvermax that's why I know this. ???????

You know what they say about OPINIONS!!!!!! :Rolls Eyes:

I will bow to your extensive knowledge of Reels..
After all you Have worked on ONE yourself!!!!!!!!

To the Original Poster/thread starter..
Im sure if you practice some, it wont take long to figure out what works best for you.......

I will now take my "Ego Driven bullshit" and leave the answers to the True Masters......

Vman
09-27-2009, 01:08 PM

You obviously missed alot of the points and took this thing way off course . The most important part of my post stated: " You can not cast a baitcaster this size without brakes ". while nessie knowitall says you should try to cast without brakes. What I am saying is that you CANNOT period

I never made any argument about side tension control, just stated what works for me. So stop twisting words. Congrats :LOL: ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).

What 's an ad hominem attack ? I never called you a homo. If you are then that explains everything. Congrats: LOL: ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).

Vman
09-27-2009, 01:15 PM
You know what they say about OPINIONS!!!!!! :Rolls Eyes:

I will bow to your extensive knowledge of Reels..
After all you Have worked on ONE yourself!!!!!!!!

To the Original Poster/thread starter..
Im sure if you practice some, it wont take long to figure out what works best for you.......

I will now take my "Ego Driven bullshit" and leave the answers to the True Masters......

I would love to see you cast a baitcaster with no brakes, even if only in your universe where the laws of physics cease to exist. Afterall, you are the true master.

Fire Ball
09-27-2009, 01:33 PM
No fighting in my thread!! Thanks for the useful tips guys! I will be sure to try them out.

bsp
09-27-2009, 01:42 PM
You obviously missed alot of the points and took this thing way off course . The most important part of my post stated: " You can not cast a baitcaster this size without brakes ". while nessie knowitall says you should try to cast without brakes. What I am saying is that you CANNOT period

I never made any argument about side tension control, just stated what works for me. So stop twisting words. Congrats :LOL: ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).

You obviously missed a lot of my questions since you didn't respond to any of them. I just responded to your points, but if that doesn't make sense refer to the organizational structure of your previous post.

What's really amusing is that you still insist that because you and your friends can't use a baitcaster without breaks means that nobody else can. You are still using an inductive argument, and that's a logical fallacy. It's definitely possible if you use spool tension.

I find it amusing you automatically resort to another ad hominem attack on Nessie instead of actually trying to validate your argument. Also, Nessie says you should try to get to that point. Not that you should try it immediately. Guess that slipped by you.

I'm not twisting words at all. I'm just pointing out the logical fallacies in what you've said, and they are numerous enough that your statements are pretty much invalidated.

Next time you respond, try to not use logical fallacies. If you actually have a good point, avoiding them will actually make your argument persuasive.

Also, you never did say who your tournament bass pro buddies were, and what series/trail they fished. A list of their actual sponsors would be nice too. Care to enlighten us?

Sorry Fire Ball.

Vman
09-27-2009, 02:33 PM

BSP, Try it for yourself. Go outside, turn off all brakes, turn the side tension knob according to Nessie, and cast. Please no lies, you can not cast well enough to fish efficiently. Remember, NO LIES, to yourself or others here.

What 's the big deal with the names ? Why would I want to tell you their names in a situation like this ? It doesn't mean I have the same skill as they do, you said so, yourself. Actually, one of them is a relative and I feel no obligation to tell you anything.

So you took Logics 101. You are still dead wrong. Congrats. I have no time for this crap. I am done with this subject and if I offended you in anyway, it was intentional.

I am done okay? I am going fishing, no more chit chat. Remember, no lies.

fish4keep
09-27-2009, 02:41 PM

What 's an ad hominem attack ? I never called you a homo. If you are then that explains everything. Congrats: LOL: ( if this doesn't make sense, refer to your own post ).

I don't know what size this particular reel is but I turned all my brakes off on my Curado 201 DHSV, Chronarch 201 B, Curado 201 E7, and probably will on my Core 51MG7 (I haven't put much time on it yet). I cast them just fine. If you have good enough thumb control, you CAN turn off your brakes. I would think someone with 20 yrs experience would have by now. Also for my spool tension control knob, it's loosen enough for the spool to spin freely but not enough to have to spool rattle.

bsp
09-27-2009, 03:43 PM
BSP, Try it for yourself. Go outside, turn off all brakes, turn the side tension knob according to Nessie, and cast. Please no lies, you can not cast well enough to fish efficiently. Remember, NO LIES, to yourself or others here.

What 's the big deal with the names ? Why would I want to tell you their names in a situation like this ? It doesn't mean I have the same skill as they do, you said so, yourself. Actually, one of them is a relative and I feel no obligation to tell you anything.

So you took Logics 101. You are still dead wrong. Congrats. I have no time for this crap. I am done with this subject and if I offended you in anyway, it was intentional.

I am done okay? I am going fishing, no more chit chat. Remember, no lies.

I did it just now with my Cardiff 200 and a 1oz jig on a Kistler LTA 76HC. I hit a coffee can 15yds away. That's the width of a lot of areas in park lakes, and I've caught bass that close in. Most bass pros when they are flipping make casts that are even shorter than that and catch plenty of bass.

As for the homo comment, I'm not a homo, but it's disappointing that you have to resort to that. Grow up.

Have a nice fishing trip.

snag
09-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I may have skipped some of the comments/replies…however, if I may make a suggestion.

Make sure your reel is not missing any parts. Dig up a ‘Schematic/exploded view drawing’ of your reel. You can obtain this on line.

A couple months ago, a kid was having serious problems with ‘Controlled overruns’ on his newly purchased bait caster. He approached me requesting assistance so I made a few adjustments. When I tested it, the reel was a bit out of control. As it turns out, the spool adjustment was missing some important items. The threaded cap was there, but that was it.

Good luck out there

Fire Ball
09-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I may have skipped some of the comments/replies…however, if I may make a suggestion.

Make sure your reel is not missing any parts. Dig up a ‘Schematic/exploded view drawing’ of your reel. You can obtain this on line.

A couple months ago, a kid was having serious problems with ‘Controlled overruns’ on his newly purchased bait caster. He approached me requesting assistance so I made a few adjustments. When I tested it, the reel was a bit out of control. As it turns out, the spool adjustment was missing some important items. The threaded cap was there, but that was it.

Good luck out there

It seems like I have all the parts, because the brakes and spool tension knobs are working well. I am going to test my new rig in the surf today!

GeordyBass
09-28-2009, 01:46 PM
:Popcorn: :Popcorn: :Popcorn:
All this over casting a baitcaster,,,
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:
:Twisted:

calico killer kevin
09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
It seems like I have all the parts, because the brakes and spool tension knobs are working well. I am going to test my new rig in the surf today!
Careful with your lure selection. Very easy to backlash and lose expensive lures out there.

Owner626
11-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Practice with diff weight.

when you change lures / worms / weights or any thing on the end of your line you always ALWAYS need to change and adjust the knob to the wright. always gonna be different. dont forget.

Owner626
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Also. drop speed . the weight of your lure or worm (w.e) is what's gonna prevent the backlash birds nest. test it like this.. Keep your pole horizontal position. open the spool. let it drop without you thumbin it. when it hits the ground and its backlashes. you need to fix the knob ...practice .!

Fire Ball
11-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I have been using my baitcasting reel often since I first posted this, so I don't need any tips, but thanks! I have been throwing my Spook for striper using my baitcaster.