PDA

View Full Version : Float Tube - are waders necessary? And types?

Ultralight
09-24-2009, 11:23 PM
OK, totally newbie to Float Tubes here.

Question:

1. Does the law require that one use waders or can one have skin to water contact and just use a fin when float tubing in So. CA?

2. Why does everyone I've seen use waders? What temperature of water becomes uncomfortable for bare skin?

3. Waders look bulky. Are there waders that are very thin that one can basically wear at home, drive in the car, walk around, and then jump in the water? I see lots of guys putting on what looks like pretty bulky waders in the parking lots when float tubing.

Thanks,
UL

Flying
09-25-2009, 12:34 AM
1. Body contact depends on the lake. Recreational lakes like Perris,Silverwood are full body contact lakes so you're fine going wet.

2. That's a lot of personal preference. Some people just like to stay dry or don't want to change to dry clothes afterward. As I get older I need to wait longer before going "wet". Even though the water feels fine to me I'll get cramps if its too cold. I'll layer down to just shorts under breathable waders before going wet. I can't see how anybody could wear waders at Perris right now but they do. Like I said most of it is personal preference.

3. Waders just look bulky. Breathable wader which just about everyone uses nowadays are very thin. All waders where meant for walking and fishing rivers and streams so there no problems with putting them on at home. I've done that a few times to save time at the lake or if conditions are cold or wet. Just don't plan on stopping at the Donut shop on the way:LOL:

fisherman from long beach
09-25-2009, 04:11 AM
im pretty new to the float tube scene also but i tube in the bays not the lakes yet. i feel pretty comfy with my waders i wear a pair of shorts under and have no probs so far.flying is correct in saying all about personal feel.some peeps here tube just shorts and fins.

Nessie Hunter
09-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Breathable waders are the BOMB!!! Comfy and very light...
Bulky though, The bigger the size the better for Bathroom stops and sitting without a wedgie... Clown Pants....

I can also layer under them (lots of room) and Tube Very cold water, Like Eastern Sierras in Spring with ice on the lake......

Some lakes require them, But not many...
If people swim then its good to go...

I also Tube the bays a lot & often..
I went without the first few times, then had a bloom of Jelly fish... Started wearing them.... Finning backwards you cant see them to well, some will sting if ya brush against them... Rather not get stung. so wear them now all the time in Salt.....

Ultralight
09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Thanks - OK, how much can i expect to spend for a lightweight breathable on sale? or better yet, what are brands/models you would recommend?

Thanks for all the help!

UL

See Chris Fish
09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
here ya go....
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_53430____SearchResults

make sure they're not tight. Baggy is better. Try to wear what you'll wear under them, when you try them on.

Ultralight
09-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone for your help.

UL

fishntoss
09-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Also wear them when trying on anything.. like fins and if you choose boots or booties. It'a a whole nother world buying something without them.. trust me...If you get the waders with the "socks" sewn in, you're gonna need the waders to find fins to fit over them. some people will get some booties to wear down to the waters edge, take em off then put on the fins. others wear the booties and put the fins on over em..

Most places will allow you to bring your waders in so you can try stuff on. The socks won't protect the bottom of your feet from rocks and such. Also, they say the booties or boots will help protect the sox of the waders from getting rubbed on by the fins and wearing out faster...

I wore my jeans and found a pair of waders that fit over them.. Yea, they're baggy, but I can wear anything under em. Like others said, some lakes require em. I haven't used mine up in the sierra's yet, but it'll be nice to walk in the water instead of just standing on the shore, especially in some of the streams where trees can get in the way of casting and reelin...

If you wear a size 10 shoe. you're gonna need fins that go up to an 11 or probably a 12 to fit over the bootie..or sock..so again.. take the waders with you... I've never had a problem taking them in..I haven't heard of anyone else w/probs either...Also, if you plan on tubing with em.. you'll need a life jacket. No ifs ands or butts there..just not an option..

fishmounter
09-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Yeah Flying... I put them on at home once so when I got to Lake Perris, I'd be all ready to go. Little did I know that I would end up in a close-call, multiple car, major accident scene on the freeway. There I was with my blue rubber gloves helping out people in the dark wearing my suspenders and chest high waders and wading boots. I'm sure people thought it was the latest paramedic safety outfit. Now I just wait until I get to the lake....

Ultralight
09-26-2009, 05:34 PM
fishmounter, now THAT is a story. Humorous too although I'm sure it wasn't funny as it was unfolding.

Thanks,
UL