PDA

View Full Version : The duct: 102 degrees

Got-to-fish
09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
My fellow fishermam, I havn't posted in a while but have felt the need! I have started back fishin the duct again, not very good at it but the possibilities of big stripers are too much to keep me away, besides the challenge is addictive. Have been doing lots of research trying to figure these ravinous fish out and what will make them want to eat my lure! Anyways, went out yesterday to my 2 favorite Gates and managed to hook a 22" stripey after losing four off the hook in a 6 hour period. Had to quit trying for my limit, got too hot at 102 degrees! Anybody know the best way to keep them on your lure after the strike, havnt had much luck lately. Moss is clearing up and can't wait for cooler weather. Sorry no pics, need to download off cell phone-next time hopefully!

cutbait
09-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Well way to keep after em' 1 for 5 is a bad ratio for sure. We have all had those days. I have been working on trying to figure out what I can do to keep those hooks stuck in the fish. Duct Stripers are always going to be lower on the hook up to land ratio, due to their hard, hook tearing runs

Were these fish coming off after the initial hit and first run or after they have been hooked up for a period of time?

First things that come to mind are your rod and hooks. What action is the rod? Are the hooks sharp enough to drive through their tough mouth.

Hope any of this helps.

Nessie Hunter
09-25-2009, 07:41 AM
Sharp hooks, "Tight line" always!! and drag set right....
(drag set to tight, it will rip loose or cause a large hole)
Dont set the drag to muscle the fish in, but to tire it out from the light drag setting...
1/3 of the line weight is suggested. So, 10# line set at 3 or 4 lbs drag.. Thats probably lighter then most think it is, but works great....
Try it, youll like it.......

trail blazer
09-25-2009, 08:12 AM
SHARP SHARP HOOKS.

That would be the 1st thing id check.

Sounds like your definatly on the right track

gletemfeelsteelgary
09-25-2009, 12:45 PM
LET THEM FEEL THE STEEL...................

DRIVE HARD...........AND "INSTANTLY" Some may or may not aggree but thats what works for me....

Ask anyone who's watched me fish....I DRIVE on EM !

with duct fish though, they will shake you off quite often but it seems like thats a REAL high ratio of loss.

My guess it's probably a combo of a few things. (my best guesss-hard ta say for sure)

1.Too soft of hookset.
2.Too short of arc on the hookset.
3.too soft of action on the pole.

All purely speculative on my part w/o all the info but i'd bet at least 2 of these are correct maybe theres more factors too though, hard ta say for sure w/o knowing more.

I use laser sharpened owner hooks and still sometimes only have them buttononed on ever so slightly.

Add the heavy current and sometime's theres a big belly or bow in the line and that will reduce the efficiency of your hookset.

In many other fishing applications, I often apply a secondary or 3rd hookset but I rarely do it at the duct as many fish are lightly hooked on the edge of the mouth but I have been known to incorporate that method from time to time, it really depends on how I feel about that intial hookset.

I run a 7 1/6 crucial rod with Medium heavy action (casting rod) this gives a max amount of hookset power without losing sensitivity, the tip is real fast on those...plus a minimum of 7' rod should be used to acheive max rod/hooksweep when setting the hook.

Start with driving harder and definately faster...I run my finger in front of the level wind ever so slightly for extra sensitivity, this quickens your response time but I'm sure it's only nano-seconds but in the duct you need any edge you can get.

Sound like your on the fish...I hope this aids you in keeping them on next time....
Gary

Frenchy
09-25-2009, 01:05 PM
set the hook to the side not straight up and down

fishfinder
09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
LET THEM FEEL THE STEEL...................

DRIVE HARD...........AND "INSTANTLY" Some may or may not aggree but thats what works for me....

Ask anyone who's watched me fish....I DRIVE on EM !

with duct fish though, they will shake you off quite often but it seems like thats a REAL high ratio of loss.

My guess it's probably a combo of a few things. (my best guesss-hard ta say for sure)

1.Too soft of hookset.
2.Too short of arc on the hookset.
3.too soft of action on the pole.

All purely speculative on my part w/o all the info but i'd bet at least 2 of these are correct maybe theres more factors too though, hard ta say for sure w/o knowing more.

I use laser sharpened owner hooks and still sometimes only have them buttononed on ever so slightly.

Add the heavy current and sometime's theres a big belly or bow in the line and that will reduce the efficiency of your hookset.

In many other fishing applications, I often apply a secondary or 3rd hookset but I rarely do it at the duct as many fish are lightly hooked on the edge of the mouth but I have been known to incorporate that method from time to time, it really depends on how I feel about that intial hookset.

I run a 7 1/6 crucial rod with Medium heavy action (casting rod) this gives a max amount of hookset power without losing sensitivity, the tip is real fast on those...plus a minimum of 7' rod should be used to acheive max rod/hooksweep when setting the hook.

Start with driving harder and definately faster...I run my finger in front of the level wind ever so slightly for extra sensitivity, this quickens your response time but I'm sure it's only nano-seconds but in the duct you need any edge you can get.

Sound like your on the fish...I hope this aids you in keeping them on next time....
Gary

well what else can ya say, that was a good tutorial, thanks....but 4 or 5 hits in the aquaduct is way above my average of 0-1

Got-to-fish
09-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, that should help alot! I just purchased the poles I was using, I bought 2 Ugly sticks medium action 6' 6" , I am using spinning reels at this time, 1 Shimano sahara 4000hd with 15lb test and 6:1 ratio, the other is an Abu Garcia Cardinal with 15lb test with 5:2 ratio. Both seem to work pretty good. Yes I know I should probably use a bait casting reel but have tried and didnt care for them. I have been getting more striper hits on top water lures and have been using them most of the time.( gotta love the top water strikes!) Have been using diff. colors of Zara Spooks 4" , maybe too big to stay hooked, but bigger lures cast farther and produce bigger fish most of time. A couple weeks ago got two 12" lmb in aqueduct on 4" lure so doesnt always work. Have not been setting hook hard for fear of ripping out of mouth, which has happened. Usually lose fish off hook after reeling in about half way sometimes sooner. In the past I even tried not setting hook at all and have probably caught more striper that way. Still a newbie at this lure thing I guess, have been fishing from boat most of my life (bait and wait style). I am deffinatley hooked on lure action though, there isn't anything like it, that is why I want to master it so badly! I refuse to go back to stinkin bait!

cutbait
09-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Your showing symptoms, soon it will be a full on addiction.

Interesting your getting these fish on topwater.

trail blazer
09-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, that should help alot! I just purchased the poles I was using, I bought 2 Ugly sticks medium action 6' 6" , I am using spinning reels at this time, 1 Shimano sahara 4000hd with 15lb test and 6:1 ratio, the other is an Abu Garcia Cardinal with 15lb test with 5:2 ratio. Both seem to work pretty good. Yes I know I should probably use a bait casting reel but have tried and didnt care for them. I have been getting more striper hits on top water lures and have been using them most of the time.( gotta love the top water strikes!) Have been using diff. colors of Zara Spooks 4" , maybe too big to stay hooked, but bigger lures cast farther and produce bigger fish most of time. A couple weeks ago got two 12" lmb in aqueduct on 4" lure so doesnt always work. Have not been setting hook hard for fear of ripping out of mouth, which has happened. Usually lose fish off hook after reeling in about half way sometimes sooner. In the past I even tried not setting hook at all and have probably caught more striper that way. Still a newbie at this lure thing I guess, have been fishing from boat most of my life (bait and wait style). I am deffinatley hooked on lure action though, there isn't anything like it, that is why I want to master it so badly! I refuse to go back to stinkin bait!

Keep an eye on yourself bro,,,like c,bait says,,DONT FALL PRAY TO STRIPER FEVER:LOL:,,,,Just jking

That explains it ,,,1 in 5 on TOPWATER is not unusual at all really.

For a short stretch last year i was using t,water and was going 1 in 7 or 8 on hookups on duct stripers.

Maby we,l see ya out there some day.

KEEP THOSE REPORTS COMING and THANKS
TRAIL BLAZER