PDA

View Full Version : Late report for 9/19

See Chris Fish
09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Went to the Vine friday night to meet a buddy I haven't seen in a while. We scored a camp site for Friday and B.S.'d and drank beer. The purpose of the trip (besides drinking beer) was to test out a new, portable fish finder that I got and to test some rigs for a tourney we're doing in a couple of weeks.
Rented a boat and tested the finder. I works fine. Discovered the suction cup for the transducer wouldn't hold onto the boat due to the algae growth below the waterline.
Had another friend make me a portable mount. He's a machinist and has a cool shop in his garage.

Water temp was 77 at 6:30 am and 79 when I left at noon.
Bite was nada. Saw no one catch anything.
Water depth at the dam was 70 feet. Still a lot of water in the lake. (I hadn't been there since the "no-limit trout" day)
Metered a lot of fish by the docks and mid lake.

FYI-- camp sites are now $25
small boat rental $55

The rewards card is an awesome thing. Looking forward to some stuff as the points go up.

Troutman65
09-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Chris, I ran into your " Buddy " the other day. :LOL: Small world. As I was reading your report I realized your story was one I heard before . ( Just the other night. ) .:Big Grin::Wink:

I knew about the big increase in the camping fees. That happened just a day or two before I was laid off from the lake. I did not know about the increase of boat rental fees from $50.00 to $ 55.00. If they raise the enrty fee any more this trout Season I am sure the lake will be pricing its self right out of MANY customers. I personally think its to much one has to pay to fish the lake now. With the economy the way it is now , you would think they would be keeping prices the same or lowering them rather than keep raising them like what has been happening the last couple years.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Hope to fish with you this trout Season.:Wink::Cool:

BingJr
09-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I know catfishing is very very difficult in the daytime at the vine. I have had days of 0 bites in the daylight, and limity style fishing after dark. The experts of the vine that have a few quality spots to hit in the evening time rarely don't catch limits. Its what is earned with time on the water. I wouldn't let the daytime skunk effect you much.

For people who are able and willing to pony up the extra $, it is going to put a big focus on the quality of fish in the lake. With all the extra money it costs to fish the vine nowadays, there should be an equal increase in the quality of the fish. With the smaller fish stocked in the last seasons, it will be interesting to see how many are willing to pony up the coin. What the vine does have going for it, is the fantastic staff that works there, and in my book that took a big hit with my buddy patrick being laid off. I still love the folks there as they are still a big part of what brings me back, and will fish the vine if the quality of fish is equivalent to the cost to fish. Not a rant, and not a downer - just how I see it with the tuff economy upon all of us. Time will tell how it all plays out.

See Chris Fish
09-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Yep. I agree. Bigger fish for the extra cash seems fair to me.
I really got what I expected, fish wise. More of a trial run then anything.
It was all about kickin it with a bro and suckin some suds!!
The way it's been lately, needed the release BADLY!!!

Sue
09-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, well, considering John was probably trying for trout......... :ROFL: :ROFL:

goodguy
09-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Great... I already haven't been able to fish my favorite lake in over a year... See ya in a few more years Vine...