PDA

View Full Version : hows the algae situation at crowley?

kaiyasdad
09-22-2009, 09:56 PM
thinking about heading up there this weekend anyone fish there recently?

thanks

Flying
09-23-2009, 03:04 AM
I hope its OK. I'll be going up Friday for a week.

Was hoping for it to cool down to help but that didn't happen.:Neutral:

Liteweight
09-23-2009, 07:50 AM
According to most of the websites, Crowley is still full of algae. Not quite cold enough to kill off yet, should be close though.
Check the Troutfitter's website. You can also check the Sierra Drifter's website also, but don't know what date it was written on (pretty accurate if current, but the guides are real jerks...they like to run over tubers or get real close).
LW

golfish
09-23-2009, 09:05 AM
but the guides are real jerks...they like to run over tubers or get real close).
LW

It seems to be getting worse every year.

I just got back last night from 6 days and 5 nights in Mammoth. My oldest daughter was married on Sat..the only day the wind blew of course. It was really warm up there. I had all my float stuff but never went. In fact its all still packed in the truck. I'm thinking about going back up in a few hours for the rest of the week.

Hunt4Fish
09-23-2009, 09:18 PM
My son and I fished Crowley on Sun 9/13/09 and it was real thick, we were on a 1/2 day guide trip, there was some semi clear water ( only a small area ) in McGee bay with about 8 boats fishing it, it was slow, about 1 fish every 20 min between all 8 boats, at one point we went to the back of Crooked Creek and it was unfishable. Guide mentioned it could clear if the wind blew in the right direction. We were fishing midges 1 foot off the bottom with a pearch fry a foot above that, we hooked 3 landed 2 and had about 5 missed strikes, Rainbows 18", 21", and the one that broke off was about 5 + lbs. The guide I was with didn't seem to be a jerk, but then we weren't near any float tubers. He is with Serria Drifters and he told me to call anytime if I wanted to know the conditions

Give him a call : Phil Therrien at 760-873-7929 or 760-
937-6164 (cell)

Good luck, H4F

Flying
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Finally got a updated report from http://www.crowleylakefishcamp.com/3_Rep.htm

Crowley Lake Fly Fishing Report Sept 24, 2009
I thought I'd come back after a week in Southern California to find clean water.
Unfortunately, the algae is still holding on. The main lake seems a bit cleaner,
but the north arm is very green. The forecast is for some cool weather to come in
next week, so hopefully that will get rid of this stuff till next season. I got
out for 4 or 5 hours yesterday to do a little scouting. I only fished McGee for
about 2 hours. I ended up with 1 nice brown, and 4 rainbows going from 14 to 20
inches. All of the fish came from about 9 feet of water, about 30 or 40 feet from
the weed edge. Two of the fish hit my punk perch as the top fly, the rest were
on an assortment of midges. I was getting grabs on the Red Baron blood midge,
the Shaft, and on a Copper Zebra. None proved to be better than the rest, that
is why I kept trying different flies. After a couple of hours in McGee, I started
looking around the lake for some other options. The water in Big Hilton looked
good, and I saw a few fish on the meter out to about 14 feet of water. Sandy Pt.
was a little greener than McGee, but it has several hundred yards of good weed beds
for the perch to hide. I saw a few fish come up and boil right next to the weeds.
If the water cleans up, it will be worth a look. The water in the North Arm was
very green, the only clean water was way way back in the Owens channel. The guys
I talked with only had a couple of small fish from up there. After that I swung
by Leyton Springs, the water looked good, and I saw a few fish on the meter, again
out to about 14 feet. My last stop was Crooked Creek. The water looked good, but
I didn't see a lot of fish.

seal
09-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Flying thanks for the report! Way better report than Sierra Drifters and others, I guess the FishCamp wants you to come out and fish Crowley. I think the Drifters just want you to fish with them. I guess from a buisness standpoint that makes sense.

Thanks again!

Flying
09-25-2009, 08:04 PM
http://i35.tinypic.com/f3xmw4.jpg

Looks worse than than it is.(I hope :Neutral:)
Showed up at 7:30am and took a drive from McGee to the north arm to check out launching sites. That pic is from Six Bays. There was a slight breeze blowing the muck into the shoreline and with the low angle of the sun it was hard to see what the water looked like until you got right up on it. I'll probably wait till Monday to go out there.

Its hot up here. Kicked around June lake with the wife for a few hours in just shorts and breathable's and a long sleeve T for sun protection. Started to cook just getting to the shoreline. Felt real good to get in and cool down.

Flying
10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Algae conditions got alot better over the week. A cold front blow through Tue and strirred the lake up good. Overnite temps finaly dropped into the high 20's but the days are still nice round the mid 60's. Afternoon wind started back up the last few days but not too bad. Looks like cooler weather on the way.

For tubing McGee launch on the other side of the barbed wire fence. Its still muddy getting to the shore but you don't sink and the shoreline is nice with a lot of gravel. Kick out past the weeds(not bad) and go back to the mouth and strip along the weeds. From what I saw you can't kick or strip fast enough. The faster the better. Not a lot of fish but nice ones.

Leighton springs is a quick sand mud bog. Go straight to the rocks on the side of the cliff if you want to launch there.

Of course Green Banks is nice and clean to launch. Had a teaser there yesterday afternoon on my first cast. It was enough to keep me kicking in the wind till sunset for nothing else except a few Perch in the bay there.
I'll be spending my last afternoon there as we leave today:Crying: