PDA

View Full Version : Bbl 9-19

Bandwgn09
09-22-2009, 12:47 PM
I went up to BBL for the father-in-laws b-day. It was 10 am before we managed to get on the water since we had 9 family members going on the boat. Anyway we rented a pontoon boat and cruised down toward the dam. Problem, the anchor line was only 30 feet long, not long enough to reach the bottom. We ended up probably 200 yards up from the buoy line and threw thomas buoyants, power bait, and inflated crawlers for about 4 hours for not a single bite. Nobody that i could see was able to catch fish either. We ended up going up by fawn skin where i caught a little 8 inch catfish, but that was the only fish of the day for our boat.
I have never seen so many plants growing out of the water in my life. The water was greenish brown from plants growing on the bottom not showing on the surface. Unless you have a boat, i would not recommend fishing this lake until after the plants die off this winter. If you do have a boat, get up early and maybe the fish would be more active than they were last week, cause from what I saw, the fishing was pretty much dead.
Thank you to those who gave advice on the general message board last week.

seal
09-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how the Bear was doing. Looks like I will wait a little while to go. With the October fishing tournament they should stock the heck out of it, maybe that will turn the bite around, that and cooler water.

troutguy26
09-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the update! I was wondering how the Bear was doing. Looks like I will wait a little while to go. With the October fishing tournament they should stock the heck out of it, maybe that will turn the bite around, that and cooler water.

they are having a trout derby?

seal
09-22-2009, 03:07 PM
WON troutfest Oct 3rd and 4th.

http://www.wonews.com/c-38-2009-big-bear-t-r-o-u-t-f-e-s-t.aspx

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
09-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Fawnskin is the best. The family and I went to big bear on accident took the 18 backway looking for those nice waterfalls of the santa ana river, couldn't find it so we took it all the way around, 2hrs later hit the lake round 7*30 pm decided to stay and fish. The only place that was'nt packed was fawnskin marina. Met some indian dudes who showed us the easiest way to fish for trout. Bites were insane. I would tell you what I was shown but it was an old indian trick, I am going to have to scalp you.:Evil:

seal
09-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Fawnskin is the best. The family and I went to big bear on accident took the 18 backway looking for those nice waterfalls of the santa ana river, couldn't find it so we took it all the way around, 2hrs later hit the lake round 7*30 pm decided to stay and fish. The only place that was'nt packed was fawnskin marina. Met some indian dudes who showed us the easiest way to fish for trout. Bites were insane. I would tell you what I was shown but it was an old indian trick, I am going to have to scalp you.:Evil:

I'm an old Indian, give it up!

Ok just part, can I get just part of the tip?

This doesn't have anything to do with ant eggs does it?

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
09-22-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm an old Indian, give it up!

Ok just part, can I get just part of the tip?

This doesn't have anything to do with ant eggs does it?

pm sent....ouch, i got scalped...hope your fish was worth it..no passing it on, keep it in the family..

Kimura6985
09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
pm sent....ouch, i got scalped...hope your fish was worth it..no passing it on, keep it in the family..

wouldn't mind getting some of that pm love, promise not to tell!:Secret:

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
09-23-2009, 08:02 AM
wouldn't mind getting some of that pm love, promise not to tell!:Secret:

sent bro..

HANG'IN ONE
09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Me too, I liked Tonto from the lone Ranger.:LOL:

The Angler
09-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Me too, I liked Tonto from the lone Ranger.:LOL:

Hahaha.

BHG hook me up with thee ol' Indian trick:Wink:

troutguy26
09-23-2009, 07:48 PM

i love trout man let me get in on the trick too??!!!???!!!?? please! cuz catching trout at bbl is hard to me aha

and thanks for the tourny details!

CPRfisher
09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
plz send me a PM for that trick too i would love to know. Also thank you for the report havent seen much coming out of Big bear lately. me and my gf are going to try and hit it up this weekend on the boat. well see how it goes :)

See Chris Fish
09-23-2009, 08:59 PM
Aren't we all family when you think about it? PM love?

Bandwgn09
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM
do i get to know the indian trick? i dont look like tonto, but i did start this thread...
someone mentioned waiting for the water to cool down. I felt the water and it was frigid! much colder than corona lake in february. But for a trout that can actually survive in BBL year round, maybe the current water is warm to them.
the area around fawnskin marina is completely overrun by vegetation. i caught the catfish maybe 30 yards into the cove. thats pretty much where the plants started to show through the surface.

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
09-24-2009, 05:30 AM
pm will be sent to everyone as soon as i get some rest from this ninja session..today...all you guys i got locked in..no worries..

ps we don't need lurkers poachin bbl trouts too..huh?

troutguy26
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
me too pretty please! aha i wont tell..i love trout so i dont want them all to be gone when i fish aha