PDA

View Full Version : need help with trim

fisherman from long beach
09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
ok fellas i had a leak in one of my cylinders ,got new new rings ,and wipers, new cap.it was working fine b4 i took it apart.it had small leak coming from cap wiper it was old. i put it all together now when i try to raise or lower the motor ,all i get is a clicking sound ,its from the electrical unit not the cylinder itself,battery is fully charged.it done this b4 but it was the ground wire it was loose,im just at a lost right now.the motor is a1975 evirude 85 horse.can someone point me in the right direction.thanks fisherman from l/b

Nessie Hunter
09-22-2009, 08:25 AM
ok fellas i had a leak in one of my cylinders ,got new new rings ,and wipers, new cap.it was working fine b4 i took it apart.it had small leak coming from cap wiper it was old. i put it all together now when i try to raise or lower the motor ,all i get is a clicking sound ,its from the electrical unit not the cylinder itself,battery is fully charged.it done this b4 but it was the ground wire it was loose,im just at a lost right now.the motor is a1975 evirude 85 horse.can someone point me in the right direction.thanks fisherman from l/b

Sounds like solenoid..
Bad ground, dirty contacts inside, not kicking juice to Mtr/pump?? Or bad ground on Mtr/pump or stuck????
Try direct wire to Pump, if it works its not getting juice from Selenoid, if it doesnt work/pump, then Pump has a problem????
Juice to Solenoid, but not turning mtr/pump....??
Dont forget to bleed all the air out of lines also...

Time to get your hands dirty or replace parts down the line...
Process of elimination at this point.....

09-22-2009, 08:45 AM
i can disconnect wires that go from selenoid to pump itself ,and it still clicks.maybe no power from selenoid to pump,i know how to empty air out of lines,but its not pump its not getting any juice.

Kevman
09-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Tap a volt meter across the wires from the solenoid to the pump. Use 20V DC setting. How many volts do you read when you press the switch for the power tilt/trim?

09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Tap a volt meter across the wires from the solenoid to the pump. Use 20V DC setting. How many volts do you read when you press the switch for the power tilt/trim?i dont have a voltmeter,also it only clicks ,when i push button in the up position.

Kevman
09-22-2009, 11:57 AM
You can get a voltmeter for $3 on sale at Harbor Freight Tools. You can also get them on sale at Sears for under $10. Invaluable tool for diagnosing electrical problems. Everyone should have one in their tool box. Much cheaper to buy the voltmeter and find out exactly what is wrong than to start taking everything apart or replacing a part that isn't bad. Just my 2 cents.

Also, do you have a shop manual for your motor? That's a huge help. Best $30 you will ever spend.

09-22-2009, 12:03 PM
i need to pick one of those voltmeters up and i only have the manuel that came with the motor itself.

Kevman
09-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Found your shop manual here:

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/part_details.php?pnum=KCMITEM_5097&ptype=Service+Manual&Engine=&Model=85593

I think you have a 1975 Evinrude 85, right?

Price is a little higher since it's an older manual, but it will really help.

Good Luck,
Kev

09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
a thanks kevman ,very helpful.now i just save up my change and ge it.

Kevman
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
No problemo. Good luck on the repairs!