PDA

View Full Version : Epic day with Bullets and dad; 2 new species each (09-20)

KaliDawgFan
09-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I checked out the tides this morning around 9 am and saw that a nice high tide was at 10:40 am. Bullets and I were out the door about 10 minutes later. Tater and Lil' Miss decided to stay behind, and they'll probably kick themselves for doing so. After stopping off at Big Fish for some ghosties we hit up the usual spot. There were already quite a few people around, but we managed to find a spot. Bullets stayed close to the gate and threw out by the dock (which was completely trashed because of some lazy f**ks who didn't want to walk their trash over to the bins). I fished about 80 yards down. Bullets was the first to hook up with a spottie, but he already tossed it back before I could snap a picture. Not too long after that he pulls out a chunky perch. At first we thought it was a buttermouth, but after looking more closely realized it was an opaleye. We'd never seen one of those caught around this area. Not a new species but new for the area.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0299.jpg

There were these two guys fishing the inlet that hooked up on a fish. I figured it was a bat ray or something, but it wasn't. There were some mullets jumping and I thought it was one of those, but it was in fact a bonefish. I've heard of them being caught around here but never seen one. I wasn't getting any nibbles so I moved back over to where Bullets was. I tossed one of my poles (both were baitrunners) into the inlet area. As I was reeling in the other I thought it felt rather funny. Sure enough there was a fish. It was a little spottie. Cool, the skunks off and with a new species for me. No pic because Bullets took the picture with my camera on the wrong setting. I tossed the other pole into the bay side and waited. Our dad walked up soon after with his pole and tossed out into the bay as well. As we're sitting there chatting my baitrunner on the inlet side starts screaming like mad! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
It had to be a bonefish. Sure enough it was. Man do those things fight hard! I was using my catfish gear and it was giving me hell. As soon as it got close ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ right back out. Alas, I won the battle and actually caught another one shortly thereafter. Alright! Two new species for me today!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0304.jpg

Bullets decides to try his luck with the bonies and hooked up a few times. He was using lighter gear so he really had to work to get them in.

Action shot of Bullets' first

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0300.jpg

End result

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0301.jpg

Bullets gets way excited after catching hard-fighting fish. His hands were literally shaking after that first bonefish.

What I thought was a small bonefish ended up being a chunky YFC.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0302.jpg

Dad finally got into the action after he threw into the inlet. I managed to record a clip of him fighting his bonefish. At first I thought there was a double-hookup with Bullets, but my dad's fish just crossed his line.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/th_GEDC0306.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/?action=view&current=GEDC0306.flv)

Action shot and end result. Don't get up dad...

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0305.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0307.jpg

Some other miscellaneous shots of bonefish we caught.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0308.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0310.jpg

Closeup of the fish

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc135/kalidawgfan/Epic%20Seal%20Beach%2009-20-09/GEDC0312.jpg

Bullets also caught a YFC and a small sculpin (which was his other new species), but no pictures were taken of them. Over all 5 species of fish and a couple of new species for us. Great day!

troutdog
09-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Great report Kalidawg! Nice job on the new species and especially the bones, I'll show you n Bullets how to keep them outta the dirt next time if you'd like! :Wink:

TD

PONTOON
09-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Kalidawg, thanks for ther report! :Thumbs Up::Thumbs Up: I had no idea that there were bonefish in this area, and right in my backyard!
After the surf fishing yesterday at Zuma It kind of rekindled my interest in getting back down to the beach. I've got to give that place a try.
Great job spending the day with your Brother and your Dad.

boxl0bster
09-20-2009, 04:21 PM
hell yeah bonefish!! good job guys!! man i can only imagine how hard they fought on your baitrunner! :Envious:

Santa Fe Eric
09-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Wowsers! Nice work! I Love the "Action" Shot of your Dad!
SFE

Mr Bendo
09-20-2009, 06:00 PM
That's cool guys!!! The El Nino must be pushing in the bonefish. I heard that they were in SD bay but not newport.

Jaysuuun
09-20-2009, 06:45 PM
If I didn't know any better I would've thought that bonefish was a common catch, from looking at your pics. Great report!:Cool:

saintarv
09-20-2009, 06:59 PM
:LOL:
Great report Kalidawg! Nice job on the new species and especially the bones, I'll show you n Bullets how to keep them outta the dirt next time if you'd like! :Wink:

TD

Ditto.......

old pudd fisher
09-20-2009, 07:12 PM
wow! Bone fish didn't know we had them here...Your dads cool glad he went with you.

Wingnut
09-20-2009, 11:04 PM
The "Mythical" Southern California Bonefish... they do exist. :Wink:
Congrats on the rare catch and a fun day of fishing. :Cool:

Troutman65
09-21-2009, 12:52 AM
Great report Ryan. Thats great you & Greg fished with your Dad. Good times for sure. Nice pics.

If Irvine Lake jacks their price up on gate entry fee this trout Season I am going to start fishing the Beach, Bays, Jetties, Piers and any place along the coast that I can fish legally. :mad::LOL::Big Grin::Cool::Wink:

sorry for the rant.:Embarrassed:

Thanks for the post

KaliDawgFan
09-21-2009, 07:13 AM
The "Mythical" Southern California Bonefish... they do exist. :Wink:
Congrats on the rare catch and a fun day of fishing. :Cool:

Wait, did I catch a species that Wingnut hasn't yet?

fisherman from long beach
09-21-2009, 08:08 AM
i went to the same area yesterday after my lions got their asses handed to them ,but tide was real low ,caught the skunk.cool bonefish

KaliDawgFan
09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
How'd Stafford do?

Granny Fish
09-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Looks like a fun day fishing with Dad. The weather was perfect for it.

09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
How'd Stafford do?

he's a rookie doing what rookies do .to many interceptions ,i hope the lions made the right call by drafting him #1.i think we'll be ok.some passes he makes are nice no hesitation,but others are horrible

KaliDawgFan
09-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Sounds like Stafford during his freshman year at UGA.

sansou
09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Congrats!

Nice job on the new species!

The real reason why Tater didn't go, is cause she's saving up her fishing mojo to win the coveted Masters tournament....c'mon, somebody's gotta represent from the Bullets Clan. :LOL:

09-21-2009, 12:00 PM
your saying hes gonna be a superstar?the lions seen something in him to take him number 1.

KaliDawgFan
09-21-2009, 12:46 PM
He very well may be. As a freshman he was thrown into the fire with little knowledge of the playbook and struggled, but he improved greatly over the next two years once he figured it all out. He needs to learn how to control his arm though. Matt was known for overthrowing his receivers.

kelpbasskid
09-21-2009, 05:47 PM
did you eat them, hopefully, becuase after rubbing them in the dirt like that they proably aren't going to live. come on seriously, bonefish are the kind of fish that would be really cool to have around in large numbers, so when someone catches them, it would be really cool to keep them in the water like you would a trout.

I know I'm gonna get crap for this but come on, bonefish don't taste good, and are great sportfish, so let em go in good condition.

Now this isn't just a statement regarding bonefish, it goes for everyone who catches a fish they don't intend on keeping, and then proceeds to grasp them like a banana and rub sand all over them. THat would be the equivilant of taking sandpaper and rubbing it all over your eyes. Fish have a very sensitive mucus layer that prevents infection.

If you did keep the bonefish, shame on you. If you want to eat something, go rockfishing, bonefish are not good tasting, and there are many other, easier to catch fish that are much more pleasent to the taste buds.

Now don't give me the treehugger speech, or the "its legal he can do anything he wants" lecture, because thats stupid. I make a living fishing, and have killed alot of fish in my life, but I also have the experience and lnowledge necessary as to differentiate between what is a "sport" fish and what is an eating fish.

like I said, if you want to eat something, go rockfishing, or even better, go catch the trout at sarl (actually don't eat those fake creations, those aren't even fish)

Jaysuuun
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM
did you eat them, hopefully, becuase after rubbing them in the dirt like that they proably aren't going to live.

I really doubt he meant to rub the fish in dirt. :Neutral:

bonefish don't taste good

Really!? Have you eaten one before?

then proceeds to grasp them like a banana and rub sand all over them. THat would be the equivilant of taking sandpaper and rubbing it all over your eyes. Fish have a very sensitive mucus layer that prevents infection.

Again, I dont think he meant to do any harm to the fish.

Now don't give me the treehugger speech

Aren't you giving one of those speeches now?

I also have the experience and lnowledge necessary as to differentiate between what is a "sport" fish and what is an eating fish

:Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes::Rolls Eyes:

kelpbasskid
09-21-2009, 06:31 PM
he didn't mean to do any harm to the fish? well if you look at one of the pictures, you'll see that he is holding two fish, one in each hand, he states that he caught both the fish, yet he didn't catch them on the same line. therefore one of those fish must have been out of the water for at least one minute. Therefore, yes, I do believe that the fish was either kept, or released in poor condition.

I would also like to point out that though I haven't eaten any bonefish, it is considered common knowledge in the angling community that bonefish are poor table fair. Again, this knowledge has been shared with me by acquaintances who live in areas where bonefish are more prevalent and are a common catch.

bullets_full
09-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Alright, here's the deal to calm your little tantrum there.

A. All fish caught that were legal size were given to a couple of friendly Asian men who were next to us but not having that much lucK.

B. The fish we did catch that weren't legal, we declined to give to the guys that were asking for them and they were safely released back into the ocean.

C. My brother is holding two fish because the first two pictures I took of him didn't take so we asked the Asian guys we gave them to let him take them out of their bucket for a picture.

D. The fish with dirt on them were mine and the reason they hit the dirt is because I brought ultralight tackle to play with the perch. I didn't bring a net. The fish broke my 6 lb test when lifting them out of the water. Again, they went to some nice guys to our left to feed them and their families.

So get off your high horse.

Anything else you'd like to jump to conclusions on?

kelpbasskid
09-21-2009, 07:52 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

the sin of all sins. If you don't want to eat it, let it go. Don't give it to some people so that they can tell all there buddies to come down and kill the rest.

the fact that you gave them away is even lower in my book.

Next time tell the people or anyone to go catch there own, and while you're at it, tell the people to stop filling up coolers and coolers of opeleye at catalina so they can go sell them illegally at the markets. I mean no family can eat 500 opaleye in even a year, and some of these guys are out every day catching that many. THose opaleye, IMO, are around in avalon so that the kids can have some fun feeding them, not so some undercover commercial idiots can fill their coolers.

So now we go back to the original question, did you kill the bonefish? Yes you did,

The reason I am making such a big deal about this is because I'm fed up, fed up with people having no sense of responsibility when it comes to protecting ocean sportfish. Most people do, but the ones who don't make us all look bad. People go out and kill a limit of calico bass, and thats acceptable, yet if one person so much as touches a largemouth wrong, they get flamed.

Do you understand that many ocean fish, such as the bonefish, are confined to the bays, and therefore are very easily overfished. This is especially true because the population is just starting to take root, and spawning is limited.

I mean seriously, how bad would someone get flamed if they gave away a couple 10 lb bass to some "needy" fisherman?

treat the local saltwater species with as much respect as we do black bass

bullets_full
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Wow, I am damn near speechless.

Not all Asians are out to poach our waters and resources. I have no idea where opaleyes from catalina came into this discussion but it sounds like you got some issues. The nice three guys we fished next to ended up with 5 of the total bones we caught. I personally wouldn't eat anything out of that bay but if some guy asks me for a fish to feed himself or his family, then I'll happily give him mine as long as it's legal according to the regs.

I've done that with "fish" from Sarl before. I've done it at Irvine. And, that's not the first time I've done it at that jetty.

P.S. I've eaten LMB a couple of times in my life too. Does that even put me lower in your fishing bible?:ROFL:

Love ya lots....lol

_Bullets

sansou
09-21-2009, 09:12 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

the sin of all sins. If you don't want to eat it, let it go. Don't give it to some people so that they can tell all there buddies to come down and kill the rest.

Next time tell the asians or anyone to go catch there own, and while you're at it, tell the people to stop filling up coolers and coolers of opeleye at catalina so they can go sell them illegally at the markets. I mean no family can eat 500 opaleye in even a year, and some of these guys are out every day catching that many. THose opaleye, IMO, are around in avalon so that the kids can have some fun feeding them, not so some undercover commercial idiots can fill their coolers.

So now we go back to the original question, did you kill the bonefish? Yes you did,

The reason I am making such a big deal about this is because I'm fed up, fed up with people having no sense of responsibility when it comes to protecting ocean sportfish. Most people do, but the ones who don't make us all look bad. People go out and kill a limit of calico bass, and thats acceptable, yet if one person so much as touches a largemouth wrong, they get flamed.

Do you understand that many ocean fish, such as the bonefish, are confined to the bays, and therefore are very easily overfished. This is especially true because the population is just starting to take root, and spawning is limited.

I mean seriously, how bad would someone get flamed if they gave away a couple 10 lb bass to some "needy" fisherman?

treat the local saltwater species with as much respect as we do black bass

The man gave you an explanation (even though he didn't need to), and yet you persist imposing your views and erroneous "facts" (population of bonefish just taking root in NPH?).

You made your point. Move on kid.

victor101
09-21-2009, 09:50 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!
If you don't want to eat it, let it go. Don't give it to some people so that they can tell all there buddies to come down and kill the rest.

Kelpbasskid...I agree with your views, but a simple suggestion is enough...

Nice catch guys...I have yet to catch a bonefish myself. definately on my list!

When I fish the bays and piers I usually give some fish away too...perch, macks, smelt...but its always nice to release the sportfish so they're there to catch another day...

Troutman65
09-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Ok, I may as well put my 2 cents in on this subject. :LOL:

KaliDawgFan & Bullets were fishing Legal , ( With a valid fishing lic. ) and took fish Legally . KaliDawg did a nice report for FNN so we could enjoy their fishing trip.

Why do you got to spoil their nice fishing report?

Personally , I don't care who they give their catch to. It could of been a Purple guy. The point is the fish , take , Catch, how ever you want to word it , did not get wasted . It was consumed. Thats what fish and animals are for FOOD !!!! they are to EAT !!!!

Back to your regular programing.

09-22-2009, 07:05 AM
ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

Next time tell the asians or anyone to go catch there own, and while you're at it, tell the people to stop filling up coolers and coolers of opeleye at catalina so they can go sell them illegally at the markets. I mean no family can eat 500 opaleye in even a year, and some of these guys are out every day catching that many. THose opaleye, IMO, are around in avalon so that the kids can have some fun feeding them, not so some undercover commercial idiots can fill their coolers.

treat the local saltwater species with as much respect as we do black bassdamn drop it already,you voiced your 2 cents ,now leave it alone,you high jacked his thread ,people are not gonna want to post their catch with out being harassed,(nice post by the way).some people that carry buckets,asians,mexicans,are not all poachers some like to actually eat fish and provide a good meal to their families,so do us all a favor and drop it.:mad:

hbomb
09-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice catch on those bonefish, good to see your pops enjoying the day. Great report and pics. :Cool:

HelloBendo420
09-22-2009, 10:01 AM
are bonefish the same as milkfish??

RUSSO
09-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Kelpbasskid is 100% right on. They are called Bonefish for a reason, there are bones all thru the meat. They are considered not good to eat throughout the world. Its kinda disturbing to hear about So Cal Bonefish not being released, even worse, given away. That just isnt cool. Next time, give the other fish you catch to those guys and try to eduacate them that they dont have to eat every single living creature that comes out of the ocean.

olfishergal
09-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Sure glad you guys had a great day on the water with your Dad. I miss fishing with my Dad out there. Good report, glad to see you were able to give a family a meal, in your place I do the same. I give lots of my catch to the folks at work who thoroughly enjoy it and am very happy to do so. Intersting to see how some folks portray themselves as the "voice of the fish gods" I enjoy a good large mouth bass now and again too. Take care guys and see you soon. OFG

trollmiester
09-24-2009, 07:37 PM
great report and pictures. Got to love fishing with dad.fnn is just greattttttttttttttttttttt

fish4keep
09-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I've given many fishes to less fortunate fishermen. But I know when to say no. Yes, these fishes were legal caught and yes you can do what you want with them: but when you caught those bonefishes and experience how such great fighters they are, don't you want to keep on catching them??? I've caught a few OC bonefishes and was amazed at how good they fought, especially on UL. It would be nice to have a health population of them in OC. Like KBK said, these are just starting to make a showing in the OC so hopefully people will CPR them...............

Troutman65
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I've given many fishes to less fortunate fishermen. But I know when to say no. Yes, these fishes were legal caught and yes you can do what you want with them: but when you caught those bonefishes and experience how such great fighters they are, don't you want to keep on catching them??? I've caught a few OC bonefishes and was amazed at how good they fought, especially on UL. It would be nice to have a health population of them in OC. Like KBK said, these are just starting to make a showing in the OC so hopefully people will CPR them...............

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/motopuaina/comment-friday-damn-1.jpg

fish4keep
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/motopuaina/comment-friday-damn-1.jpg

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Love that movie...funny as hell.....

Nothing wrong with giving fish away, just got to know when to throw some fishes back for the sport....

Troutman65
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL: Love that movie...funny as hell.....

Nothing wrong with giving fish away, just got to know when to throw some fishes back for the sport....

Me too. I think I will fire up the DVD player and watch it again for the 65 time.:LOL: