PDA

View Full Version : danas wharf overnight trip

catfish 17
09-20-2009, 01:56 PM
is that a good overnight trip that they have?because i am going on it this week and i wanna make sure its good. its my 1st overnight trip.

Nessie Hunter
09-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Do yourself a favor and drive the extra few miles to San Diego...
An overnight there can get you on some great fishing right now...

Check the fish counts for the boats and pick one....

calico killer kevin
09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Definitely hit up SD. HM Landing or Seaforth. Just about all of the boats are good. What happenned to your trip on the 17th?

Ricky-Ray
09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Didn't you just ask about the Seahorse in another thread????

TShaffer
09-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Didn't you just ask about the Seahorse in another thread????

I thought this looked familiar. Are you talking about the same trip aboard the Seahorse?

catfish 17
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
im going on the 26th. and how much is it on the 1s from san diego?because im going to pay $135 on this overnight.

Ricky-Ray
09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Expect to pay $160 and up on overnight trips outta San Diego depending on what landing and boat you go on. Keep in mind if your going out of San Diego you WILL be that much more closer to the tuna grounds.

samgann93
09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
its worth it to go to san diego. get on the condor or the prowler or my personal favorite... the PACIFIC QUEEN.

Ricky-Ray
09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
The "Big 3" landings in San Diego

http://www.fishermanslanding.com/

http://www.hmlanding.com/

http://www.pointlomasportfishing.com/

victor101
09-21-2009, 03:52 PM
SD trips are expensive, but if I were to spend money on a offshore trip right now I would definately go down to SD. Keep in mind that on top of your ticket cost you will have to pay for Galley tab, fish cleaning, mexican permits, tips, jackpot....a $160 trip can easily turn into $300+

catfish 17
09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
oh damn! so the overnight from dana point ain't worth it?

Ricky-Ray
09-21-2009, 05:37 PM
I think your missing the point. The Seahorse is a good boat and crew. The captain will work hard to get you on the fish.

HOWEVER. Given where the MAIN body of tuna have been they are in much closer range from the boats out of San Diego. Driving down the extra 60 miles to San Diego would increase your chances of catching a tuna but it would still NOT guarantee catching a tuna.

calico killer kevin
09-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Overnight boats don't have much range. This means that they can only get so far from the harbor because of time constraints. SD has more fertile tuna ground than does DP and they're closer. You can spend $135 and have a low chance at a good bite or you can dish out $200 and have a much better chance at a good bite. I'm so sick of the hit or miss overnight boats that the shortest trips I go on now are 1.5 days. Yes, you will also probably have to pay for food, drinks, tip(optional, but very much recommended), cleaning(optional), and JP(optional).

catfish 17
09-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Whats biting out there for sure?because they told me that were going about 40-80 miles in.

Ricky-Ray
09-22-2009, 05:11 PM
According to their fish counts for yesterday's overnight trip. 23 anglers, 6 yellowfin, 50 skipjack.

calico killer kevin
09-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Whats biting out there for sure?because they told me that were going about 40-80 miles in.
No one ever know what's biting FOR SURE, but there have been lots of YFT, yellowtai, and dodos. Skips are all you want. The temps are dropping quickly, so you better pull the trigger quick.

BTW, 40-80 OUT, not in:Cool:

trlrtrsh67
09-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Also don't get pissed if you don't get anything! It happens, I'm out $485 on two trips so far and all I got was a pleasure cruise!! I went on the sea horse 2 mos ago when they first ran down south looking for albacore. There were fish caught but not for everyone, so anyhow keep that in mind! The saying that pisses me of the most only because its so true...." Thats why they call it fishing and not Catching!"

Seahorse was cool though. Not the biggest fanciest boat but I'm not a glamour fisherman. Crew and capt. worked very hard.

flopps1
09-22-2009, 10:36 PM
You may want to give Seaforth a look as well. Great captain's and crew. Sometimes it can be a little cheaper but much better parking then the big 3.

Ricky-Ray
09-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Also don't get pissed if you don't get anything! It happens, I'm out $485 on two trips so far and all I got was a pleasure cruise!! I went on the sea horse 2 mos ago when they first ran down south looking for albacore. There were fish caught but not for everyone, so anyhow keep that in mind! The saying that pisses me of the most only because its so true...." Thats why they call it fishing and not Catching!"

Seahorse was cool though. Not the biggest fanciest boat but I'm not a glamour fisherman. Crew and capt. worked very hard.

"That's why they call it fishing and not catching"...so true...I can't count how many day's I've come home with the big white strip down my back. And I keep reminding myself, "I got outsmarted by a dumb fish". LOL

But it's also those trips that drive me to get back out there to redeem myself...at least hopefully :ROFL:

trlrtrsh67
09-23-2009, 05:31 PM
"That's why they call it fishing and not catching"...so true...I can't count how many day's I've come home with the big white strip down my back. And I keep reminding myself, "I got outsmarted by a dumb fish". LOL

But it's also those trips that drive me to get back out there to redeem myself...at least hopefully :ROFL:

I know what you mean. After my 1.5 day skunk I recentlly recieved, all I could think of was your picture of the empty ice chest report!