PDA

View Full Version : Tide Change Overnighter 6/29-6/30

jplee3
06-30-2007, 09:44 PM
So I went on my first overnighter on the Tide Change out of Davey's, and finally met up with Funjunkie74 and his homey Kevin. Cool cats, and now two more people (out of four now) I know who actually have randomly sung "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam in front of me ;)

Anyway, it was a super slow day to say the least. It was so hard to be productive - I don't know why... I don't think anybody caught their limits on anything either. I was highly anticipating the trip for the WSB and/or YT but sadly those two never showed up for anyone. So catching my first WSB/YT will have to wait for another time... I even bought a cheapo fight belt in anticipation of the chaos too! :twisted: I should have just used it out of spite when reeling in the 3" rockfish :D :D :D

At the first stop everyone was catching small rockfish. A couple short lings were brought in to kick things off. Made some moves and got closer to the kelp - some guys were picking up perch (halfmoons? buttermouth?), and a few calicos. At one point, I kept dropping my line down and picking up 3-4" rockfish - I swear it was the same rockfish too! :roll: They seemed to keep getting smaller every time I pulled one in. I was throwing everything I could out - tadys, salas, diamond chrome jig, red/orange/white iron, dropper loops with squid, etc. I did manage a short sheepshead. Oh yea, before heading to San Clemente, we stopped off at Catalina to make bait: live squid. Kevin had lots of fun playing with the bait too :)

Then after lunch we went to the other side of the island to calico territory. Everyone was throwing lines in the kelp and catching lots of it. I managed to avoid snagging up in it for the most part. I finally warded off the skunk by pulling in a whitefish through the kelp. Then we made our final move further away from the kelp and I picked off a calico. Sort of near the end, skipper announced that there was a school of yellows at the bow. Everyone bum rushed it and casted. No takers :(

Jackpot winner was a fatty sheepshead (maybe in the 4-5lb range?)

All in all, a disappointing day. Let's see, what else did I catch? A nice sunburn on my upper arms - I put sunblock everywhere else too! Go figure... I should have put skunkblock on as well :wink:
But props to the crew - they did a great job. Skipper stayed a bit longer for us. And you could tell the deckhands wanted to kick the skunk's r@zz. Oh, and the cheeseburger by Wendy was just what I needed!

Oh well, I guess it's always somewhat of a gamble in terms of whether fish bite or not... well, at least the fish that you're targeting :) But at least I got some good casting practice! And I got to make use of the new Avet SX.

Will post some pics later. I'm stinkin tired right now. And it feels like I'm still on the boat.

SanDimasLMB
06-30-2007, 10:07 PM
thats sucks. I would have complained and asked for my money back after paying $160 for a couple off rockfish

jplee3
06-30-2007, 10:19 PM
thats sucks. I would have complained and asked for my money back after paying $160 for a couple off rockfish

Yea... I dunno though - can you really get your money back for something like that? I thought there's never any guarantee that you'll catch stuff on any boat you go out on. And just cause you don't catch anything doesn't mean that it's automatically a free ride.

SOSO
06-30-2007, 10:32 PM

Yea... I dunno though - can you really get your money back for something like that? I thought there's never any guarantee that you'll catch stuff on any boat you go out on. And just cause you don't catch anything doesn't mean that it's automatically a free ride.

It happens to the best of us. Its called "Fishing" not "catching" as all the veterans would say. Its kind of ridiculous to ask for your money back just cause you didnt catch any fish.

labboss2003
06-30-2007, 10:39 PM
thats one of the reasons i bought my own boat ............hard to blame the capt and crew if they are one in the same and its really hard to get the money back for the gas you used to get there and so on and so on ...

just remeber its the chance to go the hunt the fun and its a hell of a lot better then work :D

Funjunkie74
06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
Geez, that was a quick post...I'm still sitting in my chair feeling like I'm going up~down~up~down!! Jplee, it was too bad that your first overnight trip was a bust. But (like I need to tell ya) this is fishing and some days you hit home runs, some days you strike out. The point is, regardless, we're going out again and "next time" we'll get em!! Plot your available days and PM me bro! WE HAVE REVENGE ON OUR MINDS!! It was good fishing with ya!

So not to upstage your report, I'll sit out and just add pics to this one.
(Not that there is much anyway. I'll add more when Kev gets around to emailing his pics to me.)

The start of the trip, greeted with Mother Nature's full moon...
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070630/HPIM0362.jpg

The swells were 5 secs in between but big...I'm still feeling it!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070630/HPIM0363.jpg

Deckhand Danny and Kev...their expression tells you how they feel about the lack of YT, WSB, Albas...big fish in general. (photo has been edited)
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070630/HPIM0365.jpg

JPLEE, looking all cool. But what you don't know is like the rest of us, he's holding on tight to that rail!! AHAHAHAHA!!
http://tsuribaka.us/photos/20070630/HPIM0366.jpg

JapanRon
07-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Hi jplee3,

Tough to see $180 go with few 'catching memories'. Not to worry .. we anglers are somewhat like gamblers ........

We get our tails kicked, humiliated, defeated, stimed, become victims of cruel fate ...... come home ragged, tired, and broke and yet ....... let us have one good fish the next trip and ...... we forget all about the past trip.

I think a higher power made we anglers such creatures ...... otherwise ..... :lol: :lol:

JapanRon

Funjunkie74
07-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Ron,
Admit it, plain and simple.

We're Optimistic Fishing-Addicts who are hooked on the notion that the "next" cast is going to bring in the giant! :twisted:

k3vin_kim
07-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah... i'd say the best part was when Danny would chuck beer cans filled with water at the dogs. You know... drop in a dead Dean... wait for the graceful pup to surface... and then WHAYAM~!! right on the nose. The front side of the island was like a pond but where we started in the morning was like raging friekin waters.

jplee3
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Right on guys... you win some you lose some. Anyway, I won't be able to get back out on the water for a while now - it'll give me some time to recompose myself from the shutout. Haha jk.

labboss2003, I hear ya. I just wish I had several tens of thousands (and more) to throw down on a boat right now. Unless I somehow magically win the lotto soon, even though I don't play. Bwahaha. But the closest I can get right now is buying a kayak or floattube :D hahaha. Unless of course I become good friends with someone who has a boat ;)

In either case, I still need to post up some pics. Actually, now that I think about it, funjunkie already posted the pics worth posting. Haha, but I guess I'll see if I have any good ones.

Hey Kev, seemed like a waste of beer IMHO. Do they still make Crystal Pepsi? Now that would do some *real* damage :D I hear you can legally use paintball markers, slingshots, bullhorns, etc to ward off seals. I'm so close to going out and buying a slingshot right now.

hartattack13
07-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I hear you can legally use paintball markers, slingshots, bullhorns, etc to ward off seals. I'm so close to going out and buying a slingshot right now.[/quote]

is this true?? i have a paintball gun that can fire em off at 30 balls per sec. i dare a sea dog to try and swoop on my catch. :evil: :twisted: