PDA

View Full Version : Any trout - gbrowns being caught?

billy b
09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
maybe the water is still too warm?

LunkerLover
09-18-2009, 08:07 AM
maybe the water is still too warm?

According to W.O.N., DVL's website, DVL's marina guys/gals, and some conversations with anglers: there is ZERO trout bite right now. I would guess, though, that DEEP DEEP runners can still be caught 60+ feet ??????

HuskerRod
09-18-2009, 08:18 AM
I recently went out there with a "back in the day" Trout expert out there. We trolled led down to 13-colors with zero success on the Trout. It really surprised me. I wonder if Mr. Stripey has been thinningthe Trout "rank and file"?

huskerrod

Gobigal
09-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Hate to say, but I believe mister Stripey has all but finished off any rainbow (holdover) or brown trout fishing prospects at DVL, ala Silverwood, Castaic, Pyramid and Perris. I know our expert guide "deep trollers", Franco, TO, et al, are probably not fishing this lake since the launch ramp closure and it's hard to get any info, so I still hold out some hope that there's a few trout left.

Guys, any opinions, Mr Giusti?

diamondbear
09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
If I had to make a prediction on the brown trout , THERE GONE LONG AGO . Maybe if stocked origanily years back they would maybe still be around , but the stripers are just to many and to hungry . fishing lead line anything over 9-11 colors you dont get the same sink rate as you do as fishing say 4-6 colors , downrig. for anything over 10 colors for ACCURITE DEPTH control . Theres gotta be a thermacline now probably at 75 + easly with the low and clear water , but when the lk. opens this winter the water will probably dirty up from the new water coming in . Lets just hope the good old trolling days arent gone for good . // db

TroutOnly
09-19-2009, 07:17 PM
gobigal the trout are there with the claear water the bait is in near the structure and the trout are going in and out feeding on them,and mr franco isnt a trolling pro hes a wannabe , many on this baord are way better schooled than him, its been a good thing he hasnt been there killing the stocked trout at the marina whn the fishing is slow,people who kill at the marina on the stock fish are as bad as mr stripey, and big mr stripey isnt big from eating shad, they are a constant threat to the trout,,,,,,,,,dont worry diamond bear we will have some more trout trolling out there very soon, and some real striper killers coming around to thin them out,,,,,,,,,,bob

HuskerRod
09-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Yah,

The stripers need some good thinning. At first all you heard of was an occasional 10 plus Striper. Then you started hearing about more in the tough guy 10 plus range. Now their are reports of smaller size models showing up in large schools. Troutonly we need you, the Trout need you, the bass need you. Would you please come and work your magic...please.

Signed,

Friends of DVL lake

pwynn
09-21-2009, 09:54 AM
The trout are there, i am not worried in the least. I know this past winter they stocked the crap outta that lake with trout that they couldnt find a home for because of the new state stocking regs and snow. so they dumped them in DVL. I know that there were runors last winter of losts of browns being caught but we never say any pics that is for sure. I am thinking that this spring it is going to be once in a lifetime holdover fishing a DVL, Damn i just gave myself chills....

TrouTracker
09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
To HR- If there's anyone that can spearhead catching those giant stripers, TO's the guy. I've never seen a more persistent angler when it comes to catching those holdovers. But, he'll need a little help from other angler's to keep the striper population in check. A while back, Jeff Leatherman of DVL, was planning a striper derby this past October. I think something like that would be an excellent idea. If you can eliminate (1) 20 lb striper, it'll save a lot of trout.

In talking with Mike Guisti, with the DF&G, he underestimated the "influence" of the stripers and their effect at the Jewel. I'm sure that if he had to do it all over again, he'd think twice about the stripers. Now, Quinn has taken over for Mike at DVL. Let's hope that Quinn has some ideas to keep the stripers in check. Ultimately, it'll most likely rest upon the striper angler's to catch and not release them. And, let's hope that TO can do his magic!
Barry A. Ogawa

tenderloin
09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
How can anyone with any knowledge about fish "underestimate" the effect of stripers on a trout fishery. If in fact this person did, they have zero credibility.

How they could have stopped the stripers from getting in? I don't have an answer to that..at least one that would be cost effective but they are there, getting larger, fatter and more in numbers.

IMO there is NO hope for a sustained trophy trout fishery. As someone who has seen first hand one the the best trophy trout fisheries in the west...Willow Beach, destroyed in just a few years by the introduction of stripers into Lake Mojave...the end is near. It may take a few more years, but it will end.

HuskerRod
09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I target a lot of bass. A few years back I never got any Stripers. Now it is not uncommon to get a Striper in with largies. I'm telling you guys about those holdovers. I trolled that west dam with lead with an old DVL Trout master who fished with TO often. He was the inventor of an old popular spoon-you know who I'm talking about TO? We couldn't find squat around the old trout haunts..nothing. Of course, we then bass fished and slayed them. I'm not saying their aren;t Trout there, but I thought it would be easy pickins'.

Long live DVL,

huskerrod

TroutOnly
09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Rod with the different water levels making different stucture the fish will be in different areas,they are close to were the shad are and deep water is also close by,,,,say hello to mike for me he doesnt answer his phone anymore,,,,,,,,,bob

HuskerRod
09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Will do Bob.

JigStop
09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
They are stratifying to the oxygen levels. If you are trying to say the big stripers ate them all, then that is just plain ridiculous. DVL would be much better off with some walleye in it. I know they gotta put trout in for the shore fishermen but the revenue stream comes from the boat people.

pwynn
09-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey rod we caught them last summer and the way we caught them was different from other summers. so i am thinking it is just going to take time to dial them back in again.

breeze71
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
To HR- If there's anyone that can spearhead catching those giant stripers, TO's the guy. I've never seen a more persistent angler when it comes to catching those holdovers. But, he'll need a little help from other angler's to keep the striper population in check. A while back, Jeff Leatherman of DVL, was planning a striper derby this past October. I think something like that would be an excellent idea. If you can eliminate (1) 20 lb striper, it'll save a lot of trout.

In talking with Mike Guisti, with the DF&G, he underestimated the "influence" of the stripers and their effect at the Jewel. I'm sure that if he had to do it all over again, he'd think twice about the stripers. Now, Quinn has taken over for Mike at DVL. Let's hope that Quinn has some ideas to keep the stripers in check. Ultimately, it'll most likely rest upon the striper angler's to catch and not release them. And, let's hope that TO can do his magic!
Barry A. Ogawa

Most anglers do not have the luxury of owning 4 stroke engines. They either can not afford to drop the $$$$ or do not see the benefits of spending the $$$$ for new outboard, boat, or pay rental when they can get plenty of Striped bass action in their backyards with the current equipment they own.

It's unfortunate that DVL is a four stroke lake. DVL managers would find out many of the Castaic, Pyramid and other surrounding lake regulars would often make the trip out to DVL if it were not a 4 stroke. I'm pretty confident to say DVL would probably double their income and secure it's future if it wasn't a 4 stroke lake.

I personally don't know how much more harm a 2 stroke engine is doing compared to a 4 stroke engine and maybe if someone can shoot out some factual statistics and then compare them to the Q.mussle, falling S.Cali ash, S.Cali smog, Perris water...etc

My :My Two Cents:

HuskerRod
09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I never was much of a Trout guy anyways, but the guy I was with used to really catch 'em. I can't seem to keep the dang Bass of my line when I go there.

I don't think the Striper ate 'em all, but they sure as heck might of dented the population a bit. I'll be curious when those first reports come in from pwynn, diamondbear, TO, GHKSET, and some fo the other slayers when the lake reopens.

Walleye at DVL would be awesome...simply awesome. But being TO Bob's long lost illigitimate son and therefore new full time fishing buddy when be even awesomer.

TrouTracker
09-22-2009, 01:48 PM
To B71- You are absolutely right about DVL making more money by allowing all types of engines. But, DVL is the emergency water supply for Los Angeles County. In case of something happening to LA's primary water source, DVL will be the secondary source that will last for a period of 6 months. We've got to understand that it's primary purpose is to provide water. Fishing is secondary to them. In fact, we're very fortunate to be able to fish again at the Jewel. Let's just enjoy our time on the water.........
Barry A. Ogawa

DarkShadow
09-22-2009, 10:06 PM
I released a 'brown trout' inside the SS Relief near the rock quarry on Saturday.

Let me know if anybody catches it. It's tagged with a few pieces of corn from my dinner the night before.

LunkerLover
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I released a 'brown trout' inside the SS Relief near the rock quarry on Saturday.

Let me know if anybody catches it. It's tagged with a few pieces of corn from my dinner the night before.

Dude - I was there on Wednesday and released one too! MAN! I'm glad you and I practice catch-and-release :Wink: ... mine was lacking corn though, the specimen I put in was more of the pudding texture (maybe the trout are preying on leeches now???)

HuskerRod
09-23-2009, 08:20 AM
I darn near did a brown trout in my pants once at DVL. The dang hike on shore from the first point just west of the marina to the porta-John had me running for my life. I made it-sorta. Lets just say that's one pair of tighty whities that earned whatever they cost. Every penny of it!!!!!

PHISHnutS
09-23-2009, 11:29 AM
http://images.quizfarm.com/1125018696cleveland1.gif

Aww, that's nasty!!

billy b
09-23-2009, 02:06 PM
lol ... nice work gents

bruce watson
09-23-2009, 02:28 PM
I darn near did a brown trout in my pants once at DVL. The dang hike on shore from the first point just west of the marina to the porta-John had me running for my life. I made it-sorta. Lets just say that's one pair of tighty whities that earned whatever they cost. Every penny of it!!!!!

When you become older and wiser, Rod, you will learn to wear boxers and carry small scissors. Bandages or TP on demand.

Vision246
09-23-2009, 04:54 PM
If you remember a while back I caught a huge brown out of there and I will always remeber that it was a event in my angling life that i will never forget. Many say it was luck but I say it was an 8lb brown. If only there were others there to witness that catch of a lifetime. Lets just say they are there but you have to work for them and maybe have a little luck with you. Remember if they say any luck? you say no just alot of skill!

VIzzzziooon out!!

JigStop
09-25-2009, 10:43 AM
and to think when they originally were making plans to stock the lake of fear and loathing of the dreaded Northern Pike. Pike don't hold a candle to Mr. Stripey

sansou
09-25-2009, 10:51 AM
If you remember a while back I caught a huge brown out of there and I will always remeber that it was a event in my angling life that i will never forget. Many say it was luck but I say it was an 8lb brown. If only there were others there to witness that catch of a lifetime. Lets just say they are there but you have to work for them and maybe have a little luck with you. Remember if they say any luck? you say no just alot of skill!

VIzzzziooon out!!

Post a picture of this 8lb brown trout! Lots of us would like to see something like that from DVL!

seal
09-25-2009, 11:09 AM
8 lbs brown?????? Now ya got me questioning a post. I thought they just put fingerlings in there recently. Possibly a mistaken rainbow holdover? Maybe a brown got stocked with one of the rainbow stockings or something, but I think photographic evidence is a must for this one.

Sorry!

DarkShadow
09-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Post a picture of this 8lb brown trout! Lots of us would like to see something like that from DVL!

An Artist's Rendition of What Said Photo Would Look Like:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3249/dvlbrowntrout.jpg

HuskerRod
09-25-2009, 12:09 PM

VIzzzziooon out!!

Vision 246 did this catch occur before or after you saw the two guys in their underwear with the gill net?

PHISHnutS
09-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Vision 246 did this catch occur before or after you saw the two guys in their underwear with the gill net?

Before..

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=28168

seal
09-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I want to believe I really do but if a 10" trout can grow to be an 8 pound trout in 2 years that's one heck of a growth rate. At Crowley a 2-3 year old fish would be possibly in the 20-21 inch range, that would be way short of 8 lbs, of course the browns growth rate may be different. I hope this was a 10" fish that grew that much, could be great for the future of DVL and the brownies.

HuskerRod
09-25-2009, 02:01 PM
I want to believe I really do but if a 10" trout can grow to be an 8 pound trout in 2 years that's one heck of a growth rate. At Crowley a 2-3 year old fish would be possibly in the 20-21 inch range, that would be way short of 8 lbs, of course the browns growth rate may be different. I hope this was a 10" fish that grew that much, could be great for the future of DVL and the brownies.

Heck, the stocker brown trout were not even 10-inches. At least the ones I saw. I saw one swimming up real shallow not long after the plant trying to avoid a pack of hungry looking bass. It was maybe 6-inches. Maybe they stocked a variety of sizes with bigger fish in the mix. Stranger things have happened.