PDA

View Full Version : New to Fly Fishing

Astrolux
09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Alright boys and girls Im new to the whole fly fishing thing and need some direction on a rod, reel, flies, and line. All I plan on using it for is trout, mostly on the owens. My dad has a nice old wood fly rod we took out once, but its too nice to be learning with. I would like to stay under or around $125. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

mth1997
09-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Welcome to your new addiction, I mean hobby.

Here's a great website that I learned most of the basics from: http://www.maineflyfish.com/howto_articles/equipment/001.htm

Just search through the pages and you'll get all you need to know to start. However, don't get caught up in the minutia; stick to the basics: floating line (for now, until you become a more well rounded fly fisher), all weights matched (rod, reel, and fly line).

Some tips for fly fishing the Owens: I use a 4 weight 8'6" rod and 4 wt. reel. There are some bigger fish that might give you fits on smaller weight rods, but heavier weight rods might be overkill and take some of the fun out of catching. Dry flies like parachute adams, blue winged olives (BWOs), pale morning duns (PMDs), and caddis flies work well at times. Nymphs of various patterns work well as do midges. Streamers like wooly buggers and clouser minnows might get you into the bigger brownies.

Good luck! Looking forward to some great fly fishing reports (you might want to be wary of publicly naming waterways as many waters best suited for fly fishing can be very negatively affected by lots of fishing pressure, ie: bag limit keepers).

Astrolux
09-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey man, thanks for the website. There is definitely some good info on there.

Liteweight
09-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Find a good well established Fly Shop in your area (or somewhere). If you can't find one, PM me w/your city and I may be able to provide you with some suggestions.
Most of these will have well rounded people to help.
LW

trout worm
09-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't know what area of So Cal you live in but there are some options for learning. First there are a couple of bigger fly shops in the LA area. Fishermans Spot in Van Nuys. or Bob Marriotts in Fullerton. They should offer casting classes. And if you stop by and buy stuff, they are real helpful.

or you can look for Fly Fishing clubs... Check out the Federation of Fly Fishers.. http://www.fedflyfishers.org/ You can search for clubs in your area. The largest ones I know of are the Long Beach Casting club and the Southern Sierra Fly Fishers (i think they're in Kernville). Clubs can help you start off and meet other that share your activity... and they are good sources for information.