PDA

View Full Version : Lame Malibu Report, no pics 9/13

gavin310
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Went to a random beach in Malibu to get some halibut. The water clarity was really bad so I figured I'd switch to a hook and sandcrabs and catch whatever until the water cleared up. Caught about 4 small barred surf perch and the water started getting much clearer. I thought I would bait up once more before putting on my lure for halibut. I bent down and dug out another sandcrab and as I stood up I looked at my reel and it was dripping water. I instantly thought "ooooh sh*t..." Cranked the reel and kkkkkkkk sand grinding like crazy in the gears. I only brought 1 rod with me so no lure fishing :Evil: and the water was PERFECT at this point. So I just kept on perch fishing all day. My reel would sometimes lock up and then unlock and then hard to crank and then easier... man it wasn't relaxing at all. Oh well, caught a bunch of perch at least LOL.

fisherman from long beach
09-16-2009, 10:30 AM
always take two poles with you ,ive learned the hard way.prepare for the worst,you never know what might happen.

victor101
09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Sucks about your reel....i got sand in one of mine and it was never the same. Sucks about the bad day, but at least you didnt get skunked.

murrieta angler
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Good job getting the BSP and sorry to hear about the sand.:Neutral:

calico killer kevin
09-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Yep, surf fishing envirnment is IMO one of the worst in the world. Nothing worse than the crunching of sand in your reel. One thing you should never do when you get sand in your reel is crank the handle or keep fishing with it. Worst thing possible. You may have just effed your reel for good. Take it home, rinse it, take it apart, lube, grease, and reassemble. I don't think your reel will ever be the same.

At least you got your semi-consolation.

gavin310
09-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Yep, surf fishing envirnment is IMO one of the worst in the world. Nothing worse than the crunching of sand in your reel. One thing you should never do when you get sand in your reel is crank the handle or keep fishing with it. Worst thing possible. You may have just effed your reel for good. Take it home, rinse it, take it apart, lube, grease, and reassemble. I don't think your reel will ever be the same.

At least you got your semi-consolation.

If I thought it would help I definitely would have done that, but I've done this same thing to 2 other reels in the past and after taking it apart, rinsing, applying grease... it's still messed up. Something about a spinning reel. I can't take one all the way apart and have it work the same after putting it back together. It was only a 35 dollar reel so getting it fixed professionally would have been overkill.