PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point fishing spot tips?

seaweedhead
09-15-2009, 09:01 PM
What's up everybody? This is seaweedhead I'm new to this site and ocean boat fishing. I have a 20-ft Deep V I/O V8 boat and I want to get into some fish out of Dana Point. Right now I'm only comfortable going out about 15-miles and I'm wondering if any of you have advice on some fishing spots to try. Any help would be awesome and then I can post my adventures and share my stories.

PS: I would be thrilled to catch Top Water- Bonito, Barracuda, or Yellow Tail. Or bottom fish for Calico, Sheephead, Rock Cod, Snaper, or any SHARK.
Thanks

newster
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I am no expert but I fish Dana quite often.
15 miles south there is the rock pile that everyone fishes. I have caught all kinds of rock fish out there except ling cod. It's about 250 - 300 ft deep. I never went shark fishing. The pelagics come and go, you just need to look for either birds or the fleet of sport boats. For calico bass there is kelp everywhere you look north and south of the harbor. If you want boiler bass, there are many more boilers north than there are south.

Fisherman57
09-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Welcome to the board!

Jackpot Jimmy
09-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Welcome to Fishing Network!

I used to fish the area around Dana Point quite often, so I'd like to provide some insight. South of the harbor lay several reefs that produce a good amount of bass, and sometimes, kick out some yellows, bonito, or barracuda, especially in the summer months. Further south are several kelp beds, that produce good calico bass fishing, as well as your typical bottom fish, and sometimes, the yellows and WSB are found there.

North of the harbor, you also have several kelp beds, as well as boiler rocks. I wouldn't recommend getting too close to the boilers, there could be ones you can't see.

Good thing about the area is you don't have to travel very far for some good local fishing.

Good luck, and take some pics for a report!